carnival has got to

greg randall

do something about the main dining room meals..i was there for a week and was constantly disapointed with the beef. Fish was great. All week long the beef was chewy..what has happened? all other aspects of the trip were fantastic

I think the only beef I was disappointed in was the filet, as this is what I usually order at a nice restaurant at home because it's usually so tender. It did seem a little chewy on the cruise though. Other than that, I can't remember any complaints, but it has been eight months.

do something about the main dining room meals..i was there for a week and was constantly disapointed with the beef. Fish was great. All week long the beef was chewy..what has happened? all other aspects of the trip were fantastic

Funny you should mention that. The only "kind of cruddy" piece of cow I had was at Nick and Nora's on the Miracle.

But, here's my theory- If you are from a midwest state, you are used to corn/grain fed beef from IA, KS etc. I wonder if where the beef they purchase is raised has something to do with it? (I can tell the difference in taste and texture when I am down south) Then again, maybe I'm cracked....

Unlikely CCL imports grass-fed beef from Europe. You all just had some unlucky nights I think. I've never had a problem with the beef on Carnival. Although I agree the fish, pork, etc is typically a lot better.

Greg, you didn't mention which ship you were on. We were on the Miracle less than a month ago, and never had a problem with the beef, and that's basically what I usually order.

That being said, I'm sure since their ships are so spread out, they would have to use different distributors around the country. Like Apple said, that could definitely have something to do with it. I'm sorry you had problems, but I doubt the problem is fleet-wide.

I have tried all the beef entrees, as well as many seafood and fish dishes. I have never had a bad, chewy, tough piece of beef in the dining room on any cruise - except one night a coupla years ago. In the dining room on "American Night", they had regular roast beef, like a home-cooked pot roast. Not so good, stringy. (I believe that might just be the only time I've had to send a dish back and order something else.);)

(on 11 different Carnival ships) the sirloin steak was consistantly tough and dry. I only eat beef, so I can tell you the rest of the beef fare on all these ships were fine. (some better than others, but none were "chewy")

The Spirit last July was a little disappointing...but still ok. We will see how the Pride does in March.

I didn't have any problems with the beef and I'm from Iowa, home of good corn-fed beef. The only one I didn't really like was the beef wellington, but that was because I didn't like the texture of the pate.

It sounds like it was just a fluke...or at least I hope so!

But, here's my theory- If you are from a midwest state, you are used to corn/grain fed beef from IA, KS etc.

We lived in California for three years when I was growing up. I can remember how big of a deal it was when a family member would visit accompanied by a cooler of corn fed Iowa beef. My dad would be in heaven for weeks.

Then again, maybe I'm cracked....

I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis of this, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...;) :D

Grass fed cows here in texas provide lower saturated fat, and no animal fats in its diet. It can be as tender as the cook makes it if he knows how to cook it. I prefer it because of the health reasons, where as corn fed cattle are filled with saturated fat and many fatty acids that my diet doesnt call for. But here in texas we have strong teeth:D so chewy isnt a problem.

"Perhaps the most serious thing that can go wrong with a ruminant on corn is feedlot bloat. The rumen is always producing copious amounts of gas, which is normally expelled by belching during rumination. But when the diet contains too much starch and too little roughage, rumination all but stops, and a layer of foamy slime that can trap gas forms in the rumen. The rumen inflates like a balloon, pressing against the animal's lungs. Unless action is promptly taken to relieve the pressure (usually by forcing a hose down the animal's esophagus), the cow suffocates.

A corn diet can also give a cow acidosis. Unlike that in our own highly acidic stomachs, the normal pH of a rumen is neutral. Corn makes it unnaturally acidic, however, causing a kind of bovine heartburn, which in some cases can kill the animal but usually just makes it sick. Acidotic animals go off their feed, pant and salivate excessively, paw at their bellies and eat dirt. The condition can lead to diarrhea, ulcers, bloat, liver disease and a general weakening of the immune system that leaves the animal vulnerable to everything from pneumonia to feedlot polio."

We were on the Jan 28th sailing on the Glory and the beef was really bad. Had the filet two nights and I don't think it came close to any filet I had ever had before. The best beef was the prime rib on the first formal night.

"Perhaps the most serious thing that can go wrong with a ruminant on corn is feedlot bloat. The rumen is always producing copious amounts of gas, which is normally expelled by belching during rumination. But when the diet contains too much starch and too little roughage, rumination all but stops, and a layer of foamy slime that can trap gas forms in the rumen. The rumen inflates like a balloon, pressing against the animal's lungs. Unless action is promptly taken to relieve the pressure (usually by forcing a hose down the animal's esophagus), the cow suffocates.

A corn diet can also give a cow acidosis. Unlike that in our own highly acidic stomachs, the normal pH of a rumen is neutral. Corn makes it unnaturally acidic, however, causing a kind of bovine heartburn, which in some cases can kill the animal but usually just makes it sick. Acidotic animals go off their feed, pant and salivate excessively, paw at their bellies and eat dirt. The condition can lead to diarrhea, ulcers, bloat, liver disease and a general weakening of the immune system that leaves the animal vulnerable to everything from pneumonia to feedlot polio."

Interesting but waaayyyy too much information for me!

do something about the main dining room meals..i was there for a week and was constantly disapointed with the beef. Fish was great. All week long the beef was chewy..what has happened? all other aspects of the trip were fantastic[/quote]

It seems that you did like some of the beef entrees'

#13 report.gif

post_old.gif Today, 03:08 PM

greg randall user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_5820372", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

i never ate in the emerald club..It is difficult to remember. The menus were fancy..the main menus did not match with what was on our tv..the tilapia is outstanding..the prime rib is good, beef wellington was so so, beef fillet was chewy, my dad said the toms turkey was good, but he thinks boston market is great. The dining room is a gamble. all other stuff is great.

How about rack of lamb? Is this available in the dining room?

Yes, and it is very good. Lamb is on the menu on two different nights:

Rack of New Zealand Spring Lamb Dijonnaise

Roast Leg of New England Spring Lamb w/a Rosemary Reduction

sorry i checked out...i was on the glory..i agree with a previous post wich stated that the suppliers differ because of ship location..i would like to think if i was on a ship out of another port that it would be better..i loved the ship and had a wonderful time. you cannot beat carnival for the money..I figure i saved a few hundred bucks over the next best cruise line, that it would show somewhere..i did have a great server..when i would ask for certain things he would shake his head in a way that said "believe me, you dont want that dish"...it was humorous but helpful

Archived