Queen Victoria - Cabin Configuration

Highseaslife

Hi fellow cruisers

Hoping to cruise the QV in November on a 4 day trip to Bruges for the Christmas Markets. Have sailed on QV before with my husband but this time going with a girl friend. We were hoping to book Princess Grill but all sold out so opting for Britannia balcony however on Cunard website it states king bed but we need a twin. Do I just request this when booking? 2 single cabins of course carry a supplement. 

@Highseaslife, you do have the option of requesting "2 Twins" for your bed configuration instead of "King". If you are booking directly with Cunard via the Cunard website, I've heard the option to select your bed configuration appears immediately after you submit your payment to confirm the booking. If you are booking over the phone, request two twin beds when you make your booking.

Failing that, as @Colin_Cameron has indicated, there should be an option within the "Booking Summary" section of your booking when log in to "Manage my booking" aka "My Cunard" aka Voyage Personaliser to select your "Bed Configuration".

I don't know if they have fixed the bug though that plagued the "Bed Configuration" section the last time we had an active booking with Cunard. Here's what the bed configuration option looked like about a year ago within our booking in "My Cunard".

698505364_MyCunardBookingSummaryBedConfiguration.thumb.png.4c27411676658c2b5a96e0cafe2f031a.png

Note there are no labels next to the two radio buttons to tell you which indicates "King" and which indicates "2 Twins". By looking behind the scenes, I was able to determine the left radio button represented "King" and the right radio button represented "2 Twins".

I'm hopeful this issue has been fixed sometime during the past year. Maybe someone with an active booking can confirm if that's the case or not.

Finally, if all else fails and you find your bed is configured as a king when you board, speak to your cabin steward. He/she should be able to separate it into two twins for you.

Most of the Personaliser seems to be working for me, including any bed requests but World Club status is missing on all our bookings. We have it on the invoices but nothing on the individual bookings when going into 'My Account' and seem to have been demoted back to a Red Top!  Hopefully the embarkation computers will be better behaved. 😄

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Most of the Personaliser seems to be working for me, including any bed requests but World Club status is missing on all our bookings. We have it on the invoices but nothing on the individual bookings when going into 'My Account' and seem to have been demoted back to a Red Top!  Hopefully the embarkation computers will be better behaved. 😄

Good to hear some of the glitches with 'My Cunard' have been resolved.

Missing World Club Status was a common complaint when the new 'My Cunard' was first rolled out and it would appear that is still an issue.

Does it now show your cabin number (assuming you have a cabin assignment)? This was perhaps the most glaring omission observed during the initial roll out of the new 'My Cunard'.

33 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Good to hear some of the glitches with 'My Cunard' have been resolved.

Missing World Club Status was a common complaint when the new 'My Cunard' was first rolled out and it would appear that is still an issue.

Does it now show your cabin number (assuming you have a cabin assignment)? This was perhaps the most glaring omission observed during the initial roll out of the new 'My Cunard'.

Had a look at all the bookings we have  in My Cunard and unless I'm missing something very obvious, no, cabin number isn't listed and we have confirmed cabins for all bookings.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Had a look at all the bookings we have  in My Cunard and unless I'm missing something very obvious, no, cabin number isn't listed and we have confirmed cabins for all bookings.

Our bookings do show the correct Cunard World Club level. The cabin number isn't indicated. The bed configuration isn't clear. As others have noted there is a red dot which tells us nothing at all. Also, our voyage dates are wrong.  It shows  one day earlier for both the departure and arrival dates.

Many months ago I was able to enter our emergency contact details. Our passport details did not have to be entered and they were correct. So there is some hope.

One has to wonder why so many businesses - not just Cunard -  take a perfectly good site and "improve" it by creating something that isn't as helpful or worse: not as good as the one it replaced.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

Our bookings do show the correct Cunard World Club level. The cabin number isn't indicated. The bed configuration isn't clear. As others have noted there is a red dot which tells us nothing at all. Also, our voyage dates are wrong.  It shows  one day earlier for both the departure and arrival dates.

Many months ago I was able to enter our emergency contact details. Our passport details did not have to be entered and they were correct. So there is some hope.

One has to wonder why so many businesses - not just Cunard -  take a perfectly good site and "improve" it by creating something that isn't as helpful or worse: not as good as the one it replaced.

I can assist you on the red dots dilemma.

If you have a double dot facility, the left dot is for twin configuration and the right, for King. Now if someone could find my World Club Diamonds anywhere, I'd be grateful. 🙂

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I can assist you on the red dots dilemma.

If you have a double dot facility, the left dot is for twin configuration and the right, for King. Now if someone could find my World Club Diamonds anywhere, I'd be grateful. 🙂

Perhaps it might be wise then to recommend some caution about determining which unlabeled bed configuration radio button is which in My Cunard. Our experience a year ago on the US version of My Cunard was just the opposite. We had chosen "King" at the time of booking and the left unlabeled radio button was selected for us in My Cunard. I examined the underlying HMTL code for that webpage at that time and the code indicated the left button was for king and the right button was for two twins. Of course a lot could have changed in a year, but from what I'm reading here now about issues with My Cunard which existed back then and are still unresolved, who knows?

22 hours ago, Highseaslife said:

Hi fellow cruisers

Hoping to cruise the QV in November on a 4 day trip to Bruges for the Christmas Markets. Have sailed on QV before with my husband but this time going with a girl friend. We were hoping to book Princess Grill but all sold out so opting for Britannia balcony however on Cunard website it states king bed but we need a twin. Do I just request this when booking? 2 single cabins of course carry a supplement. 

Don't worry about Red dots ,Blue dots, or Pink dots , Once onboard you just instruct your stateroom steward to separate the beds. Dump your carry- on luggage and go off to enjoy lunch and a couple of drinks . It'll all be sorted by the time you return . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Perhaps it might be wise then to recommend some caution about determining which unlabeled bed configuration radio button is which in My Cunard. Our experience a year ago on the US version of My Cunard was just the opposite. We had chosen "King" at the time of booking and the left unlabeled radio button was selected for us in My Cunard. I examined the underlying HMTL code for that webpage at that time and the code indicated the left button was for king and the right button was for two twins. Of course a lot could have changed in a year, but from what I'm reading here now about issues with My Cunard which existed back then and are still unresolved, who knows?

It's enough to send you dotty isn't it.

Room stewards are so busy on a changeover day and I always think the more information they have about preferences before embarkation, the less they have to rejig if arrangements aren't suitable.

Our agent always makes sure  our preferences are noted [ the invoice always has our preferences on it] and that gets filtered down to those who need to know so we have no need of dotting anything.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:12 PM, Highseaslife said:

Hi fellow cruisers

On 6/6/2021 at 7:42 AM, Victoria2 said:

It's enough to send you dotty isn't it.

Room stewards are so busy on a changeover day and I always think the more information they have about preferences before embarkation, the less they have to rejig if arrangements aren't suitable.

Our agent always makes sure  our preferences are noted [ the invoice always has our preferences on it] and that gets filtered down to those who need to know so we have no need of dotting anything.

My wife and I always request two singles, the reason is, it gives us more room getting out of bed. If it is still a double bed when you get to your room just ask the steward to make the bed into single beds, and they have always obliged..

On 6/5/2021 at 2:34 PM, bluemarble said:

Having just booked a December 2022 TA, I checked My Cunard to confirm everything was as requested. I found the bed configuration specifically shown by following the menu choices "Before You Sail" and "Life on Board" to a page that gives our names, deck on which our cabin is located, cabin number, and bed configuration. One would presume that corresponds to the selected radio button (ours was left button = king) and could be changed by clicking the other button.

That does, however, assume that a Cunard IT function would perform as a normal human would expect it to, which is not necessarily a valid assumption.

I did not find any location where our CWC status was listed.

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

Having just booked a December 2022 TA, I checked My Cunard to confirm everything was as requested. I found the bed configuration specifically shown by following the menu choices "Before You Sail" and "Life on Board" to a page that gives our names, deck on which our cabin is located, cabin number, and bed configuration. One would presume that corresponds to the selected radio button (ours was left button = king) and could be changed by clicking the other button.

That does, however, assume that a Cunard IT function would perform as a normal human would expect it to, which is not necessarily a valid assumption.

I did not find any location where our CWC status was listed.

Excellent! Thanks for that update. It would appear they have made significant strides to correct at least some of the earlier deficiencies with the US version of "My Cunard" during the past year or so.

Looks like they've added a new section called "Life on board" within "Before you sail" for the cabin information. There is no such section in the "Before you sail" screen shots from "My Cunard" I have from February/March 2020.

Now I just need to decide to book another Cunard voyage so I can see for myself what "My Cunard" looks like now.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Haha 1

Not saying you shouldn't decide (and book), but it's not too different for my May 2022 transatlantic - just the points @ExArkie made: cabin number, bed size, and dining table size requests! which were not previously available. That's comforting. No obvious options for anything else that wasn't there earlier, but this far out I guess I wouldn't expect otherwise.

Edited by TouchstoneFeste
edit: clumsiness rescinded
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. My friend has booked everything and has requested twin beds so fingers crossed. I have sailed QV before but stayed Princess Grill with my husband so didnt have to worry about bed configuration. Now trying to get my head around all the new insurances rules/restrictions ref covid on Cunard which does not look simple