Florida resident here a little confused over C19 protocol.

My entire family is vaccinated.  We will be happy to show the record so we can have a cruise experience that is something close to what we know as normal.   

Those who don't/won't share the info will have only themselves to blame when their experience is masked, traced, restricted and distantanced.  We won't care cuz we will be going on about life....   

• Like 2

So there's a lot of talk over on the celebrity threads about today's announcements regarding their way around the Florida law. 

Seems they are still advertising these cruises as a vaccine "required" for 12/16+. Essentially the way they think they get around the law is by asking everyone on boarding to show their card. If you volunteer to show it you get to board. If you don't show it they assume you are unvaccinated, make you pay for your own covid test, and will let you board as long as the unvaccinated do not exceed 5% of the people already allowed to board before you. Once they hit the 5% threshold they will deny you boarding. Oh and if you didn't have a vaccine card you have to wear a mask the entire cruise and pay for a covid test at the end of the cruise.

It's an interesting concept. Many will argue it doesn't really get around the law because they are still requiring vaccines. I guess they are allowing some unvaccinated people on so is that the loophole? What about the people that are denied boarding?

9 minutes ago, jrapps said:

So there's a lot of talk over on the celebrity threads about today's announcements regarding their way around the Florida law. 

Seems they are still advertising these cruises as a vaccine "required" for 12/16+. Essentially the way they think they get around the law is by asking everyone on boarding to show their card. If you volunteer to show it you get to board. If you don't show it they assume you are unvaccinated, make you pay for your own covid test, and will let you board as long as the unvaccinated do not exceed 5% of the people already allowed to board before you. Once they hit the 5% threshold they will deny you boarding. Oh and if you didn't have a vaccine card you have to wear a mask the entire cruise and pay for a covid test at the end of the cruise.

It's an interesting concept. Many will argue it doesn't really get around the law because they are still requiring vaccines. I guess they are allowing some unvaccinated people on so is that the loophole? What about the people that are denied boarding?

I wonder if the logic be that they were not denied boarding because they refused to show they were vaccinated, but because the ship was limited by Federal Law to only allow 5% of people who don't want to show proof of vaccination, so basically they were denied boarding because the cruise was full.  I'm not sure I would want to argue that in Court, but then again, I think that the CDC guidelines have the effect of Federal Law and cannot be overriden by State law.  I think it is clear that the CDC has the power to regulate  health and safety on ships, so I do not expect the State to prevail on their case for an injunction.  But there is a Federal Judge involved.  And you know the difference between a Federal Judge and god?   No? Neither does a Federal Judge.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:45 AM, vintagegarage said:

Yet you both probably go to the supermarket every day with a mix of anti-vaxers and anti-maskers all around you.  Your decision not to cruise is much appreciated.. that makes more room for real cruisers now as the posers show their colors.  By now, most everyone in the US has been exposed to covid.  You either had no symptoms, mild symptoms, bad symptoms or died.  A covid outbreak on a cruise ship is different now than a year ago.  It hardly makes a difference now if you disembark more covid cases into Florida.  The only way to not have covid on board is not to test for it, just like Walmart and Home Depot don't test you as you leave their stores.

I had bad symptoms. Really bad. I'm glad I'm still here posting. 

I'm also glad that you appreciate my choice. I guess I am just a poser and not a real cruiser like you. I'm sure you're right though. I should have figured it out when I heard about all the norovirus outbreaks at Home Depot. Apples to apples. 

47 minutes ago, jrapps said:

The 95/5 is part of the CDC, I think, so not a loophole. By now, I’m not sure of anything.

The 5% threshold perhaps could be determined during pre-registration. Once the limit is reached, no more registrations would be allowed. The people denied boarding would get a refund, but I’m guessing that would all be decided before they arrive at the port.

There is a good discussion of the details on the Celebrity boards, if you are interested.