Oceania to French Polynesia - Bad idea?

hokie_fan

On 6/10/2021 at 8:06 AM, Hlitner said:

Your concern about "terrible weather" is valid and one that haunts us with every expensive trip.   We like to talk about a Plan B in case of lousy weather, but there really is not any Plan B for those islands.   I guess one could pray to Tiki (not sure that Tiki handles weather).  

Hank

We were there starting Feb. 4th a few years ago on Marina and the weather was wonderful.  A shower here and there but nothing that lasted more than 10 min. 

10 minutes ago, RJB said:

We were there starting Feb. 4th a few years ago on Marina and the weather was wonderful.  A shower here and there but nothing that lasted more than 10 min. 

On our 3 visits we have always had near perfect weather.  When our DD was planning her honeymoon she asked our advice for a planned trip to New Zealand and I suggested they do a stopover in Tahiti and book an upscale resort on Bora Bora (where you live in a room over the water).  They followed our advice and spent 5 days on Bora Bora where they had lousy weather for 4 of those 5 days :(.  Go figure.   The reality about traveling is that there is always a weather risk.

Hank

• Like 1

Our FP trip on the Marina in 2014 at the end of January had very good weather with the one rainy day being a sea day.  The year before that when O started in FP, some early year cruises had terrible weather-so weather is always a risk as said above.  One port had to be cancelled because the seas were too rough to get into port or anchor.  That  port (do not remember name) was cancelled for good eventually because of rough seas there almost every cruise.  Another atoll island was substituted.  It was a wonderful cruise-our first-and the one that has kept us coming back to O.  We finally tries an R ship on our 3rd O cruise and I hope to cruise on an R ship again-the smaller group is nice and most of us did not mind the small shower typical of many other big ship lines.  The FP cruises are now on the R ships as far as I know and that is another improvement.  I would be happy to do that FP cruise again if DH did not insist on going places we have not been as much as possible.