Back from Mexican Riviera Feb 3rd Mercury

more from les

Hi those of you planning or considering Mercury for the Mexican Riviera. Today I posted a review with Cruise Critic - but it could take weeks to process and publish on their Reviews section.

So, here is a preview.....

There have been many reviews of the Mexican Riviera cruise – on Mercury and other ships – most by logical headings or in chronological order.

Marching to a somewhat different drummer, I offer “high”lights and “low”lights of the experiences my wife and I had on board the Feb 3 06 sailing for Mercury from San Diego. I’ll leave it to perceptive readers to determine which is which.

* walking down from the Hampton Suites to enjoy a dockside view of Mercury at 7am on February 3 as she emerged from the heavy fog.

* finding the Pomerania Piano Quartet (piano, 2 violins and 1cello) on board. We dogged them from Cova Café to Dining Room day after day. They are skilled, energetic – and so friendly too.

* having lots of fun with the super-friendly and enthusiastic (Sports Coordinator) Jose at Table Tennis and Shuffleboard (he even does a play by play commentary of the latter).

* being witness to the change as Fina (our knowledgeable and smiling wine waitress in the Dining Room) switched to being a “blondie”.

* keeping some control over potential weight gain by eating soup and salad at lunch and skipping these two courses (most nights) in the Dining Room. Trying just one (or two) appetizers and a main course each evening – and using stairs not elevators – made a difference.

* having CNN as the only news source on TV in the cabin.

* making the re-acquaintance of staff from last year’s cruise on Horizon – efficient Ria in Guest Relations – the ever-smiling and teasing Capaci (waiter).

* cruising on such a healthy ship – we overheard no word of gastric problems, seasickness or coughs and colds. Way to go cleaning staff and careful passengers!

* our request for a table for 2 was not granted till day 2 – apparently the Maitre D’ had to spend 6 hours untangling a mess made by Head Office. He confirmed that our request was in the computer, and he switched us after the first night.

* being able to order a “personal” small pizza at the Pasta and Pizza Bar (with my choice of toppings) – “come back in 15 minutes” – and there it was.

* having West Coast Canuck Dru Pavlov as Cruise Director – we have not yet cruised with his equal.

* our spotless cabin maintained by happy Gladwin – who also ensured our requested ice-bucket arrived each day at 1.30pm so we could chill our pre-dinner wines.

* enjoying incredible sunrises and sunsets – and photographing them (and the full moon). The San Diego sunrise on Feb 13 was the pinnacle – why wasn’t everyone out on deck?

* working with Natalie in Cruise Sales as she demonstrated her professional approach in helping us book three future cruises (on Century) – so pleasant, so relaxed….. and the shipboard credit!

* attending two classical recitals given by Arvan Arad – a Chopin loving pianist if ever there was one.

* keeping the second sitting hunger pangs away by making a daily visit to the Sushi Bar around 6pm – loved the wonderful soups there too.

* seeing no signs of the (reported on other Boards) problems ordering beef dishes to desired state on “doneness”. Our Medium Prime Rib and

Medium-Rare Rib Eye Steak were as requested.

* not seeing any of the top Canadian wines on the Wine List.

* having Mercury almost to ourselves on Port Days. We left the ship just once all cruise (2 hour stroll in Zihuatenejo). We just love Mercury when “everyone else” has left to go ashore.

* working out on the rowing machine with a view in the Gym. What a view – and always available.

* resolving to try “non-usual” mains in the Dining Room led us to some fabulous taste experiences – Sea Bream with Anise Sauce - Roast Quail with liver stuffing – Pork tenderloin with 3 sauces – Magrets de Canard (with lemon chiffon sauce) – Straw and Hay Pasta with Seared Scallops – my mouth is watering as I type this – meatballs at home tonight….

* having a “true caricature” of me sketched by Frank – free too.

* wandering the ship to see the extra-mile Celebrity went to in planning and executing the Super Bowl parties…. what a hoot – a Seattle side and a Pittsburgh side – beer specials – face painting – TV sets everywhere – and a Captain steering the ship to maintain the “best” reception.

* struggling with the “too loud” sound in the Celebrity Theatre for the first two shows. Apparently the imbalance of numbers from first and second sitting resulted in some 300 fewer in the audience for the second sitting shows. Empty seats bounce sound – bums in seats soak up sound… and it took till the third show to tone down the sound for second sitting shows. After that it was just fine.

* the ever changing fruit carvings scattered throughout the Palm Spring Café for every breakfast and lunch (especially after the Midnight Buffet).

* being on Mercury at the same time as “seizure alerting” dog Spot! And sharing the stage as one of the five volunteer acts in the Guest Talent Show with Spot (and Elvis and Dolly Parton)…

* being attentively served by the incredible (and international) staff on board – it seems to us that all (but two) of them seem to genuinely love their work, respect each other, and smile as they know how to please us. How do they remember us – e.g. four days after first meeting with a bar steward, he remembered my name and “my drink” – not just one isolated incident either.

* being amazed over and over at the lack of lines of passengers (queues) for almost anything (except Bingo).

* meeting some very friendly fellow Cruise Critics at the Connections party (and having Dru and James attend too). Thanks for your work (host) Anne.

* having to listen to the “boo-birds” and whiners who seem to find unreasonable fault with everything – just two examples: “This cruise is too long – it should be only seven days”…. “The blanket was cheaper in Puerto Vallarta than Acapulco, why didn’t they tell me that?”

* being able to “whale watch” while doing my “horseshoe” walk (along deck 6 one side, up to deck 7 for the complete stern section, down to 6 for the other side – and repeat). With my MP3 it was a delight for hours and hours.

* making new friends – there were so many open, positive, caring people on board who respected space yet were friendly when encouraged. The “ponytails” from Minnesota epitomised the type I mean.

* having such a smooth and rapid disembarkation that we hit the airport in time for an earlier (non-stop and direct) flight which had us back in Vancouver more than 3 hours ahead of our scheduled flights…

* enjoying almost ideal weather for the whole 10 days – calm seas, warm sunshine and little wind (other than that created by our 18 knot progress).

Our roughest experience was on a BC Ferry crossing Georgia Strait on the way back to Nanaimo from Vancouver on Feb 13 (and eating ferry food).

Did we enjoy our cruise – you be the judge from the “high” and “low” lights above. Happy to answer questions at dickason at shaw dot ca

Les

p.s. Sorry - pictures not yet edited in any way – no time for cropping, enhancing, captions and titles. There may be a Blog with a selection of the best soon. Ask if you want the link.

What an interesting and different approach to the post cruise "review". I thank you for your time and effort. I enjoyed the read as it did bring back some memories of our Mercury sailing. You did get me very hungry, I am going to need some food when I finish this post. I would guess you had a wonderful time. Oh yes, one more thing........."THE CRUISE IS TOO LONG" ????.. what, no one TOLD them it was not a seven day cruise anytime before they packed or left the house. I honestly believe you heard someone complain about this and I would like to nominate that person for saying the DUMBEST thing I have heard yet!

GREAT POST!!!

How was the Hampton Inn? I have read there is a noise issue from the trolley that runs behind it. Was your room street side or trolley side? Any comments on the hotel overall will be appreciated.

We are booked there for 4 nights pre-cruise in April.

You guessed it - we were trolley side (must have been the great rate I secured months prior to the cruise). The trolleys do not run all night - but there are other trains that do.

If you are sensitive to noise during the night - insist on street side! But, we had had a tiring day, a lovely (beer and wine) dinner at the Elephant and Castle at the Holiday Inn Bayside, and so we slept through most of the noise.... and it woke me early enough to stroll down in the fog to the dock (2 blocks away) and take great pictures of Mercury emerging from the gloom at 7am.

The walk with suitcases to the dock was easy.... though not so easy as it would have been from the Holiday Inn Bayside.

Apart from the train/trolley issue, the Hampton (including the shuttle from Airport after the call on the Courtesy Phone, and the huge breakfast buffet) was just super. Very friendly staff, large rooms.

Over

Les

Wonderful thread...you are a true blue cruiser.

I appreciate all the time and effort it took to write that.

I haven't done the Mexican Rivera yet, but will get a taste this April on my Infinity Panama Canal cruise.

I assume the weather was good in February, can you elaborate on it?

Thanks again for a wonderful briefing. I've done many Celebrity cruises and I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to service.

Mercury emerged from the fog on the morning she arrived to collect us - by checkin at noon, she was in lovely sunshine (around 70F).

First day at sea was a bit cloudy and coolish (60F) but the wind caused by the forward progress made it feel cooler.

Once we arrived at the Cabo latitude, we had day after day of sunshine and top temperatures 80 to 85..... and there was no change until the final sea day .... when we went through fog banks two or three times during the afternoon - temperatures only 60 again. Then we had the spectacular arrival at sunrise in SD to end it all.

Walking the decks early morning or late evening required a jacket or sweater - all other times when docked, T-shirt and shorts worked well (or less).

Thanks for the kind remarks - I do the review draft in the plane on the way home from each cruise.... then tap away to remove the task from the "to do" list quickly.

If you go to the Roll Calls - Mercury - Feb 3rd - you will find four pictures to authenticate some of what I said above.

Les

We had a fantastic time on Mercury getting to know Pat and Les. I loved Les' unusal approach to a review and I agree with everything he said. And his photos are fantastic. Make sure you check them out. It's so funny - he got the San Diego sunrise from the port side and I got it from starboard. It was a beautiful morning to sail back into San Diego. The only sad thing is that they made us get off!

GREAT REVIEW, Les! Hope to cruise with you and Pat again soon!

thanks to "critics" for the kind words - makes me want to cruise again and write another review and post some more picture.....what am I saying, it is less than 3 months before we board Summit for a one way to Alaska cruise...... counting down....

Les

1969 June/July - Canberra – trans-Pacific

1989 Dec. – Sky Princess – “non-Panama” a long, long story.

1991 June – Fair Princess – Alaska

1996 May – Statendaam (?) – Pacific NW

1997 Jan. – Royal Princess –Panama

1998 Oct. – Royal Princess – NE Fall Colours

1998 Dec. – Crown Princess – Mexican Riviera

1999 Dec. – Delta Queen – Mississippi

2000 May/June – Explorer – Maritime Britain

2001/2002 Dec./Jan. – Explorer – Antarctic

2004 March – Mercury – California/Mexico

2005 Jan. – Horizon – E. Caribbean

2005 Nov. – Xpedition – Galapagos

2006 Feb. – Mercury – Mexican Riviera

2006 May - Summit - Alaska

2006 Oct/Nov. – Century – TransAtlantic

2007 Jan. – Century – B to B in Caribbean

THE CRUISE IS TOO LONG" ????.. what, no one TOLD them it was not a seven day cruise anytime before they packed or left the house. I honestly believe you heard someone complain about this and I would like to nominate that person for saying the DUMBEST thing I have heard yet!

Hey catmand, I second your motion. Geez!!! What will they think of next?

Phil, I'm on the Mercury in April. Continental dect aft. Just how bad is the noise? It can't be worse than our trip on the NCL Star. I'd swear somebody was throwing bowling balls at our walls. I kid you not. We were told it was the AC unit. Yikes!

Toodles, Jill

P.S. I almost forgot. Thanks for taking the time to post your review!

Archived