Testing on cruises

tipsygirl

Have there been any situations on American Cruise Line ships where passengers have been turned away because of positive COVID test? Or have there been any passengers, vaccinated or not. who have tested positive once on board?

I can only answer for Queen of the Mississippi - as of 5/29 when we were tested pre-cruise, our ship's medical officer said he'd never had anyone, crew or passenger test positive at all.  We were not tested again while aboard.

I'll let you know in 2 weeks. We're sailing Saturday on the Puget Sound cruise, and this past Thursday we received an e-mail advising that we would need a PCR Covid test within 72 hours of sailing. Washington State's requirement, not ACL's, apparently. We're both fully vaccinated, and have been since the beginning of May. So, Thursday morning I'm off to get the swab.

We are vaccinated, and leaving for a cruise of New England on the Constitution in 2 1/2 weeks. No requirements indicated so far for us to get tested. But we have a free testing site near our house with 24-48 hour results, so may just get tested anyway. We have used the site before, and got results the next day by text. 

8 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

We are vaccinated, and leaving for a cruise of New England on the Constitution in 2 1/2 weeks. No requirements indicated so far for us to get tested. But we have a free testing site near our house with 24-48 hour results, so may just get tested anyway. We have used the site before, and got results the next day by text. 

Not  requirement by ACL on their website - you will be tested prior to boarding as will crew and all passengers.

Loveh2ofl If you have the time would love to hear about how your cruise goes. Anything of note would be most appreciated, i.e. how meals are served, covid testing upon boarding, ease and quality of the excursions, etc. There are several of us that are scheduled for July. 

3 hours ago, twototravel said:

Loveh2ofl If you have the time would love to hear about how your cruise goes. Anything of note would be most appreciated, i.e. how meals are served, covid testing upon boarding, ease and quality of the excursions, etc. There are several of us that are scheduled for July. 

I'm sure you'll have a great time.  We did enjoy our trip - but we were the first full set of passengers on our particular ship and they were kind of in restart-up mode so our particular ship was sorely understaffed.  So I don't plan on reviewing our trip as I normally would because any negatives were related to staffing.   

For most of the passengers - this was their first American 'river cruise' yet most were experienced cruisers (on ships), and had taken river cruises in Europe.  With about 150 folks aboard - one gets to meet a great many over the course of a week, unless one stays with a particular group/family/friends.  It was our first small ship cruise of any kind, altho' we too have been on many larger ships.

Covid testing was only conducted in our hotel the morning of departure.  It was done early enough so that one would have been contacted before getting on board.  As I've mentioned above - no one on crew or passengers (at least by that medical officer) has ever tested positive.  Crew wore masks, and by the end of our trip - I'd guess only 5% of passengers still did.  Nor did we wear them on buses or ashore.  Personally - my husband and I were thrilled, coming from the freedom of FL.  

Tables are open seating - smallest I saw was for 5.  You can come as a group, as a couple, individually and sit wherever you please.*  Our meal times were breakfast - 7:30-9, lunch 11:30-1; dinner 5:30-7.  Cocktail hour was 5:30-7 as well and appetizers were available at that time.  Early breakfast was just an assortment of juices, coffee, some breakfast bars, fruit, and perhaps some muffins/coffee cakes packaged - at 6:30am.  At 8pm the lounge was again available for drinks/wine/beer/soda until end of evening entertainment....*that does mean that someone may be on dessert when you arrive at the table and order if you're later... 

We enjoyed our meals - at breakfast one is asked to select choices for lunch and dinner - this is just to give the chef an estimate.  You are not held to it nor does your server know what you'd written down.  Appreciated the ability to have half portions too.

Included excursions were very good - of course in several it depended on the quality of the local guide.  We did choose to pay for a couple and those were excellent.  While I'd selected my choices prior to boarding, on the first day the cruise director gave an overview and handout on all the excursions for the trip and we did change some of ours at that time.  People made changes throughout the trip and since it's really a small ship, things are pretty flexible.  All crew really tried to satisfy everyone as best they could.

Hope this helps!  Have a great voyage!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

True, but nybumpkin notes that they will have to PCR test anyway... "Washington State's requirement, not ACL's, apparently."  

Typsygirl is going to New England....not Washington state (which I understand) - that's why I replied as I did.

11 minutes ago, Loveh2ofl said:

Typsygirl is going to New England....not Washington state (which I understand) - that's why I replied as I did.

Yes, but nonetheless, the message one gets reading nybumpkin's post is that a state can have its own requirement that trumps ACL's website.  I am going on a New England cruise in a few weeks, and I'm worried that perhaps we too will get the phone call that Rhode Island or Mass. or Maine has instituted a rule that PCR tests are required.  I hope ACL's position prevails, but I'm just not 100% sure it will.   

3 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

Yes, but nonetheless, the message one gets reading nybumpkin's post is that a state can have its own requirement that trumps ACL's website.  I am going on a New England cruise in a few weeks, and I'm worried that perhaps we too will get the phone call that Rhode Island or Mass. or Maine has instituted a rule that PCR tests are required.  I hope ACL's position prevails, but I'm just not 100% sure it will.   

Thought it might help if I posted the text of the e-mail we received last week from ACL:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. ____________,

Health and safety aboard the ship is a shared responsibility and we need your kind assistance for the benefit of our guests, crew, and those ashore. 

The State of Washington has imposed a pre-cruise testing requirement for all cruise guests, regardless of vaccination status.  Accordingly, all guests are required to take a molecular COVID-19 test (such as a NAAT or PCR test) three days prior to traveling and 
email your test results to us at HealthSafety@AmericanCruiseLines.com no earlier than June 16th and no later than June 18th.   

Additionally, all guests will be administered an antigen test upon arrival to the ship or at the pre-cruise hotel.  While mask mandates are being relaxed around the country, we remain bound by the Executive Order on Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel which states that face masks are required throughout the cruise, along with other procedures to mitigate the risks of COVID-19.

When you arrive to your ship, you will be asked to attest to: 

• Your vaccination status, and present proof of vaccination (i.e. your vaccination card)
  • Your contact with individuals known or suspected to have had COVID-19 in the last 14 days
  • Any symptoms you may have relating to COVID-19 in the last 14 days
  • That you understand the risks of COVID-19 and are willing to comply with American Cruise Lines’ operating protocols, including the mask mandate

A certified Medical Officer will perform a brief health screening as well as conduct health checks and/or possible additional COVID-19 testing throughout the duration of your cruise. 

Thank you.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

I did my PCR test this morning, and DH did his yesterday. We've e-mailed the results, but just to err on the side of caution the paperwork is coming with us.

Thank you all for all the information and discussion. Even though we are vaccinated, and since it is not a problem for us to literally walk down the street and get tested for free, we will do that for our own peace of mind, and to possibly avoid testing onboard.  We won’t submit a negative finding online, but take our info with us.

cindy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 2:07 PM, tipsygirl said:

Thank you all for all the information and discussion. Even though we are vaccinated, and since it is not a problem for us to literally walk down the street and get tested for free, we will do that for our own peace of mind, and to possibly avoid testing onboard.  We won’t submit a negative finding online, but take our info with us.

cindy

We returned last night. (Short review: We had a great time!) Our sailing was about 60% capacity. Everyone was tested before boarding the ship and we showed our proof of vaccination. The crew adhered to the mask standards throughout the cruise, but after a day or so the passengers ditched the masks. There was one couple who was hesitant about sharing a dining table with others, but they overcame their worries. A more complete report to come....

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 2:07 PM, tipsygirl said:

cindy

Hope you have a wonderful time as we are anxiously awaiting hearing how it goes as we are departing a few weeks after you. We are getting a COVID test about a week before and also avoiding all interactions with crowds. I still wear a mask when in a store. Would hate to have a surprise with that test ACL gives you at boarding :). 

On 6/28/2021 at 6:14 PM, nybumpkin said:

We returned last night. (Short review: We had a great time!) Our sailing was about 60% capacity. Everyone was tested before boarding the ship and we showed our proof of vaccination. The crew adhered to the mask standards throughout the cruise, but after a day or so the passengers ditched the masks. There was one couple who was hesitant about sharing a dining table with others, but they overcame their worries. A more complete report to come....

nybumpkin,  Thanks for the update. We will leave on Friday for Boston, and board the Constitution for the Grand New England cruise on July 4th. We have our vaccination cards ready! Our cruise does not require vaccines and the only email we got about vaccinations just asked us whether we were vaccinated,or planned to be vaccinated before the trip. We replied that we were vaccinated and have  received no communication since. We would prefer that vaccinations be required. Since this is not the case we will try to wear our masks as much as we can indoors. We have our masks on lanyards,so it is easy to put them on when needed as protection for the unvaccinated.
Were you all tested more than once?

On 6/30/2021 at 8:51 AM, tipsygirl said:

Were you all tested more than once?

We were tested twice before boarding - once before flying to Seattle (as I understand, Washington State's requirement) and once the day of boarding. After that, no tests and the medical officer spent more time making sure people were handling some heavy seas okay as we crossed the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

I have to say I was happy vaccinations were required (again, Washington State's requirement). We all felt comfortable socializing.

Edited by nybumpkin