Does MSC adjust taxes either before or after final payment

wallyj

I am booked on Meraviglia for the 7 day sailing out of Miami on October 23, 2021.

So far it is looking like it will sail, obviously test sailing has to pass muster. 

The itinerary was just modified and when I booked the taxes were $150. Today making a booking the taxes are only $98. 

I had my TA call and they were told ‘No Adjustment’!

Is this incorrect information or a MSC anomaly ?

I've called and had taxes/port fees adjusted. It was only about $30pp for a total just over $120. It took less than 5 minutes. I received the new confirmation within minutes and the new price was on my account online the next day.

I booked directly so that might make a difference.

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I've called and had taxes/port fees adjusted. It was only about $30pp for a total just over $120. It took less than 5 minutes. I received the new confirmation within minutes and the new price was on my account online the next day.

I booked directly so that might make a difference.

Do you remember in your case if the only difference was the reduction in taxes? Meaning the current cruise fare was the same? 

MSC told me the only way to take advantage of lower ‘taxes’ is to try and re fare my booking with a different promotion. I booked awhile ago and current fare for a similar cabin would be double my current fare!

Agent suggested I have my TA contact Existing Reservations Department to see if they can help. 

This is the only cruise line I have experienced with this policy regarding ‘taxes’. Are you thinking if ‘taxes’ were increased for this sailing they would not be asking for additional funds?

13 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Do you remember in your case if the only difference was the reduction in taxes? Meaning the current cruise fare was the same? 

Exactly the same to the penny. I have both confirmations so I can easily compare. Gov't Fees & Taxes went from $180.16 to $150 for all 4 guests. 

17 minutes ago, wallyj said:

MSC told me the only way to take advantage of lower ‘taxes’ is to try and re fare my booking with a different promotion. I booked awhile ago and current fare for a similar cabin would be double my current fare!

In my case, I booked and noticed the different taxes about 2 weeks later. I was just checking prices and I go through the entire process to see if the total changes. Usually, it goes up but when I saw that it was lower, I looked into the differences. The itinerary has not changed (that's another thing that I check to see if anything has changed), only the fees/taxes. If I booked today, the total would be a little over $800 more. 

34 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Agent suggested I have my TA contact Existing Reservations Department to see if they can help. 

The existing reservations department (MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com) was able to help me with another issue on another cruise. They came through after a phone rep booked me in 2 suites at the same time and kicked me out of the suite that I was originally booked in and tried to charge me $3K more in order to use my FCC in the correct suite. Long story short, the existing reservations dept. fixed everything. I might have to contact them again when I try to use my next FCC on another cruise that I have already booked.

MSC phone reps seem unable to correct prices without cancel/rebooking which might be why you are having an issue with your correction/adjustment. 

41 minutes ago, wallyj said:

This is the only cruise line I have experienced with this policy regarding ‘taxes’. Are you thinking if ‘taxes’ were increased for this sailing they would not be asking for additional funds?

Most people don't notice and TBH, I only notice when the total changes. If the fare went down and the taxes went up, I wouldn't notice if the total was the same. If the fare went down and the taxes went down, I'd only notice the lower total....then I'd call and get it corrected. 😉