LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

16 hours ago, jtwind said:

How did you hear about the new rules?

5 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Local media.

I would have hoped that Viking would have informed their passengers before they left the ship.

1 hour ago, hutch1994 said:

Read the same thing.  Apparently 71 people quarantined.

That’s what happened on Jupiter 7/13 but not so many passengers.  Quarantined can go home after negative pcr test administered by Iceland.  Covid positive have to stay. 
https://www.luxurytraveldocs.com/2021/07/how-we-dealt-with-covid-19-and-contact.html

25 minutes ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

That’s what happened on Jupiter 7/13 but not so many passengers.  Quarantined can go home after negative pcr test administered by Iceland.  Covid positive have to stay. 
https://www.luxurytraveldocs.com/2021/07/how-we-dealt-with-covid-19-and-contact.html

If I'm not mistaken, it seems that Iceland is easier on cruise passengers (contact traced and positive) than land based tourists?

I was on the Jupiter 7/13 cruise. The afternoon we had the unexpected sea day at Akureyri I got a call from the nurse saying I'd been contact-traced to a person who tested positive. My husband had not. I was asked to stay in the room, but was only there for an hour or so before the doctor called to say my test from that morning was negative and I was free to do anything I wanted.

The next morning in Seydisfjordur, Guest Services called to say the Iceland authorities wanted all the contacts to stay on the ship, so my husband went out to Skalanes on his own. GS then called back about noon to say I was now allowed off the ship and they'd pay for any excursion I wanted to do. I asked them to put us on the included walking tour of the town, which they did. (They refunded what I'd paid for the Skalanes excursion.)

I ran into another contact-guest the next evening whose experience was the same as mine: she had to stay in her room for awhile, and then had to stay on the ship the next morning.

I have no idea how many of us were listed as contacts or whether all of them were cleared as quickly as I was. I was able to leave Iceland on the 20th with no problems. The ship provided both my husband and me with our negative test results, which we showed to the Delta people at the airport.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Thank you for sharing your personal first hand account. First hand accounts are so valuable.

You're welcome.

I should add that I was interviewed (via telephone) by both the nurse and the public health officer, who wanted to know where I'd been during the last 48 hours---excursions, restaurants, and so forth. But to this day I have no idea who the positive-person was, where I was in contact with him/her, or why my husband was not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2021 at 1:30 PM, patchicago said:

Thanks for the additional info. This is helpful!!

I have a dry mouth in the morning and it was difficult filling to the 2 ml line.  I wake up often during the night and so i spit into the tube each time I woke, took a drink of water and went back to sleep.  I had it filled not long after i got up for the day.  If you start when you get up, just remember not to swallow.  Use it for the tube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 1:06 PM, KiwiClaire said:

As long as they're visible you can wear them how you like. 

Nope, don't have to be visible.  We wore ours underneath our shirts the whole time. Sometimes the red line was visible around my neck.  If i had a turtleneck on or a collared shirt, it did not show at all.

• Like 1

I was unable to book the Djúpivogur, Iceland Fjallsarlon Ice Lagoon by Zodiac excursion on September 12, 2021 due to being sold out. I have been checking MVJ, emailed Viking and called Viking regarding cancellations or a wait list without any success.  I found a similar excursion to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon, (without the Zodiac,) but need six more guests to fill the minibus = 8 total at  $320/pp. There may be the possibility of adding a boat tour amidst the floating icebergs.

https://arcticshorex.com/tours/djupivogur-jokulsarlon/

They will give a full refund if we are unable to dock or Viking / Iceland does not allow outside tours.

My contact is:

Rúnar Þór Jóhannsson
Sales & operations manager
Arctic Shorex / Wild Westfjords ehf
kr. 521011-1060
Pollgata 4, 400 Ísafjörður, Iceland

phone-icon  +354 4563300
email-icon   info@arcticshorex.com

I have posted on the Viking Jupiter September 7,2021 Iceland Rollcall but if anyone posts on Facebook please share.   

Thanks, Eileen

6 minutes ago, LeenieG said:

I was unable to book the Djúpivogur, Iceland Fjallsarlon Ice Lagoon by Zodiac excursion on September 12, 2021 due to being sold out. I have been checking MVJ, emailed Viking and called Viking regarding cancellations or a wait list without any success.  I found a similar excursion to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon, (without the Zodiac,) but need six more guests to fill the minibus = 8 total at  $320/pp. There may be the possibility of adding a boat tour amidst the floating icebergs.

https://arcticshorex.com/tours/djupivogur-jokulsarlon/

They will give a full refund if we are unable to dock or Viking / Iceland does not allow outside tours.

My contact is:

Rúnar Þór Jóhannsson
Sales & operations manager
Arctic Shorex / Wild Westfjords ehf
kr. 521011-1060
Pollgata 4, 400 Ísafjörður, Iceland

phone-icon  +354 4563300
email-icon   info@arcticshorex.com

I have posted on the Viking Jupiter September 7,2021 Iceland Rollcall but if anyone posts on Facebook please share.   

Thanks, Eileen

Try Marina Travel and Troll Expeditions also. We used Marina Travel and there were only 4 of us and included the zodiac. 

2 hours ago, Lily Feghoot said:

You're welcome.

I should add that I was interviewed (via telephone) by both the nurse and the public health officer, who wanted to know where I'd been during the last 48 hours---excursions, restaurants, and so forth. But to this day I have no idea who the positive-person was, where I was in contact with him/her, or why my husband was not.

Maybe it was the gelato line.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LeenieG said:

I was unable to book the Djúpivogur, Iceland Fjallsarlon Ice Lagoon by Zodiac excursion on September 12, 2021 due to being sold out. 

Once you get onboard get on the waitlist. In the meantime continue to check MVJ because people cancel and you just never know when you might find an open spot or two. Good luck!

20 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I know it is early but any signs of Aurora Borealis?  SIRI told me September thru March best viewing.  I can recall in the 1950's we would frequently be able to see them in Western PA.  

It was never dark on our cruise and always cloudy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

We are in Patreksfjordur in the Westfjords (less populated) right now and driving to Isafjordur today. They do require you to conform to the regulations. Period. They definitely want to keep cases down. 

A puffin working on its burrow yesterday at Latrabjarg Cliffs.

Jack

A6409011.thumb.JPG.2155e41fb14ec6486f269922e7db3486.JPG

After driving across the Westfjords Highlands today, we are again in Isafjordur. Out for dinner tonight, they added the date we entered Iceland to the other tracking information requested last night in Patreksfjordur.

Weather was beautiful all day until coming out of the tunnel on the Isafjordur side.

Jack

DSC08605.thumb.JPG.2faf604581a8067f27d07d8b685ebc6c.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

It was never dark on our cruise and always cloudy.

Although one night (I think it was when we left Akureyri - July 20), we had a drink on our balcony and watched the sun set at 11:31, but it barely went below the horizon so never got very dark.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, patchicago said:

Jupiter 8/3

I’m not seeing any additional information about Jupiter. No idea what the fate is of the 71 quarantined passengers (are they in hotels? For how long? Did anyone else test positive? ) or what happens with the new 7/27 passengers. Were they able to board on time? If Iceland has quarantined 70+ passengers is that an issue that might change current Viking protocols and procedures? 

Does anybody have any further information on this topic. I am reluctant to start a new thread but if 71 are in quarantine after getting off Jupiter then that is big news.

9 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Apparently there has been another positive test onboard a Viking Iceland ship. A poster on another site has stated that she was placed in quarantine because of close contact with a person she sat near on an excursion bus. She missed her flight home today and is being transferred to a Reykjavik hotel awaiting test results from Iceland officials

7 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

Read the same thing.  Apparently 71 people quarantined.

Clearly a Viking Iceland cruise but we need some sourcing here, otherwise just hearsay.

4 hours ago, PeabodyMa said:

Maybe it was the gelato line.

You have to be in contact with the person for a cumulative 15 minutes or longer for it to count -- and I have never waited that long in the gelato line.

But, if you are seated in the dining room with someone behind you for your whole meal, that could easily be counted as a contact for spouse and not the other.

• Like 1