LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

14 minutes ago, perucruiser said:

ATTN: From 27 July 2021, the following applies: All vaccinated travelers, as well as those with a confirmed previous infection, must present a negative COVID test before boarding an aircraft or ship to Iceland. Both a PCR test and a COVID-19 rapid antigen test are accepted. The test must have been taken within 72 hours before departure on the first leg of the journey. A fine for not presenting a negative COVID-19 test is 100.000 isk.

https://www.covid.is/sub-categories/vaccination-and-antibodies

That is the Iceland requirement...the question is whether or not Delta Airlines would accept the antigen test? United Airlines is apparently requiring a PCR test despite the Iceland guidelines.

1 minute ago, Wander58 said:

I know this.  What I would like to know is if the ABBOTT ID NOW test has been accepted?  It is a molecular NAAT test which is better than antigen but not quite PCR.

I seem to recall a chat feature on the Covid.is site when we registered a few days ago. You could always ask the Icelandic authorities if you can’t get an answer here. 

Personally even if somebody on this site suggests it is accepted, if there is any doubt I would prefer to get a definitive response from the Icelandic authorities before commencing my flights. 

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Leaving Iceland today after our July 17 cruise and 2,220 km drive around the Westfjords this last week. Line for Covid test on Thursday was over two blocks long and 1-3/4 hours until tested. Received our "Negative" results about seven hours later.

At the airport today, when we arrived at 13:00 check-in line was about 45 minutes. ICE employee said that line was out the door this morning! That would probably be about two hours.

Bon Voyage everyone!

Jack

I don't know where in Virginia you live.  But if you get the Washington Post, in Sunday's Travel section (which we received on Sat.) there is a front-page story about the Westfjords, including a newish drive around that area.  I don't know if that's the drive you were on, but even if not, you may want to read the article.  

Thanks for the heads up on the KEF airport.  I'm not looking forward to our return home post-cruise.  

2 minutes ago, jayray said:

United Airlines is apparently requiring a PCR test despite the Iceland guidelines.

Not sure that is true.  Here’s what United has on their Travel-Ready Center for our flight from ORD to KEF in 6 days:

“All passengers who present a certificate of full vaccination or previous infection are required to hold either a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test taken prior to departure.”

1 hour ago, Buddysmom10 said:

First Viking cruise on the Sky coming up very soon!  On prior cruises we often ordered room service for breakfast and tipped the person who brought it to our room.

Now due to social distancing and perhaps Viking might recommend otherwise, would it be better to add the tips on at the end of our cruise in addition to the regular amount?  

We only ordered room service once and tipped the server at the time of delivery. He didn't seem to have a problem handling the money. If you left it at the end, it might not get to the person who actually brought you the food. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeilP57 said:

I seem to recall a chat feature on the Covid.is site when we registered a few days ago. You could always ask the Icelandic authorities if you can’t get an answer here. 

Personally even if somebody on this site suggests it is accepted, if there is any doubt I would prefer to get a definitive response from the Icelandic authorities before commencing my flights. 

Thanks.  I just opened a case with them as they are closed now.  I will report when I hear back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarNog said:

I'm looking for reviews of the Halsar Hike excursion in Djúpivogur. How demanding is this demanding hike?

TIA!

Daughter & granddaughter did it on their own in the AM. No problem. Granddaughter took her grandmother a little over half way there and back again in the afternoon.

• Like 1

Hi, long time reader, first time poster here.  Thank you all very much for your helpful posts. I am wondering if you would comment on packing for this trip. Anything you took but didn’t really need? Anything you didn’t take but wish you had? Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Also had a 2 Hr wait to check in for flight home on 10 July. Iceland Air has too many contending early AM flights.  LONG walk to departure gate.

As always, later on security gave me a hard time. 🙂

Lol,  Do you just look suspicious or what?  They always seem to hassle you.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Conrmom said:

Hi, long time reader, first time poster here.  Thank you all very much for your helpful posts. I am wondering if you would comment on packing for this trip. Anything you took but didn’t really need? Anything you didn’t take but wish you had? Thanks in advance.

The Sky did not have drawers in our DV cabin. We bought a multi-shelf hanging vertical cubicle to store clothes in the closet. About $10. Then took it home with us...we will need it again in March.

We also bought retractable lanyards with the included clear card holders that clip to your clothes. Probably $12 for two of them. The kind you may use at work. We placed our room cards and our contract tracers to it. Very easy to keep track of two things you need everyday.

We bought bug nets...forgot them for the excursion, but didn't need them anyway. YMMV. About $4.

Bought eye masks.....didn't need them....but not a waste either. Helps on the plane. The blinds do a great job of keeping the room pretty dark. 

The ship has sundries for purchase. It's in a retail area near Torshaven. Go past Torshaven, turn left. 

Some people had a clip around their neck to keep their mask handy. 

Take sunscreen. 

I'll quit know...I'm sure others have some input on this too. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 7:59 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Different, trivial question: If anyone on Jupiter is reading this now (week starting July 27) could you please post the names of the Chef's Table menus Viking is serving, and preferably when the last one ends?  I don't know if this information is on the television or if you have to ask the Maitre d.  But if you know or could find out,  my spouse would be very appreciative. He has a few favorites, and if I know what's in the rotation this week it will help me guess what might be in the rotation later!

We ate at the Chef's table tonight and it was the British menu. From what we were told, British menu is today and tomorrow (July 31 and August 1) then Xiang menu August 2-4, last is  California menu August 5-7. 

20210731_210001.jpg

20210731_210030.jpg

20210731_210105.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IheartNYC said:

We ate at the Chef's table tonight and it was the British menu. From what we were told, British menu is today and tomorrow (July 31 and August 1) then Xiang menu August 2-4, last is  California menu August 5-7. 

20210731_210001.jpg

20210731_210030.jpg

20210731_210105.jpg

Screenshot_20210731-223007_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210731-223025_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, peribit said:

If the video supervised antigen test is allowed, it will make it much easier.  Please post back if you encounter any problem on July 31.

Peribit, our negative covid test wasn't even checked by Viking.  They just checked our passports and took a credit card to keep on file. They did do a temperature check as soon as we were in the tent and asked us the health questions similar to the health attestation we did and that was it. We were on board in 15 mins.

1 hour ago, Conrmom said:

if you would comment on packing for this trip

Plan for any weather.  We had a cold 10 days there from July 13-23.  I had short sleeves and shorts that I never wore.  I had light gloves that I used on occasion.  I am not a hat wearer - I usually bring a hoodie, but for this trip I brought a non-hoodie insulation layer and wished that I had a hat or one of those warm headbands.  It can be very windy and I had to hold my raincoat hood up to keep my ears warm.  The weeks before and after were much warmer, and folks were basking in the sun, and wishing that they had short sleeves and shorts.  I think it is hard to predict, and the weather can change though the day.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Conrmom said:

I put my packing list in post 1513  the day we left. We pretty much used everything but our hiking poles which we could have  probably used anyway. We are pretty fit but didn’t really need them.  Great trip!!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Conrmom said:

We got here on the 29th and started our cruise today, July 31st. So far we didn't make use of any of our cold gear (hats, gloves and bubble vests) We went to the South Coast and Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon yesterday and even there, I only wore the dri-fit (moisture wicking) long sleeved shirt and hardly wore my Columbia waterproof jacket. It was unusually hot yesterday (felt like 80s although I'm sure it was in the high 60s.) We took a bus tour and the other people were so hot they wanted to strip down to their undies, no kidding! The bus had AC but not cool enough so we all got pretty uncomfortable.  That being said, we did bring a wide range of clothing to layer just in case the weather turns

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Camden lady said:

Lol,  Do you just look suspicious or what?  They always seem to hassle you.  

1 hour ago, Crockett&Darla said:

The Sky did not have drawers in our DV cabin. We bought a multi-shelf hanging vertical cubicle to store clothes in the closet. About $10. Then took it home with us...we will need it again in March.

We also bought retractable lanyards with the included clear card holders that clip to your clothes. Probably $12 for two of them. The kind you may use at work. We placed our room cards and our contract tracers to it. Very easy to keep track of two things you need everyday.

We bought bug nets...forgot them for the excursion, but didn't need them anyway. YMMV. About $4.

Bought eye masks.....didn't need them....but not a waste either. Helps on the plane. The blinds do a great job of keeping the room pretty dark. 

The ship has sundries for purchase. It's in a retail area near Torshaven. Go past Torshaven, turn left. 

Some people had a clip around their neck to keep their mask handy. 

Take sunscreen. 

I'll quit know...I'm sure others have some input on this too. Enjoy your trip!

I'm bringing bug screening too, with a hat to wear with it so it doesn't cling to my face.  May not need them, but as stated, cheap and doesn't take much space.  

I like a lanyard too, with a plastic name badge holder for key card.  I'll hook the contact tracer to it. Etsy has some nice lanyards. You'll show your key card a lot. 

I'm bringing a plastic sleeve thing for holding a town map, should I get one, and should it start raining. 

I just loop my mask around my wrist, mouth side inside.  Never lose it if it's attached to me. 

I have one of those little things to hang around your neck to hold boarding pass, a credit card, vax card (put that in plastic and make SURE not to lose it).

If your state has a vax registry, print out your proof of vax in addition to taking your card. 

Don't forget the number for the ship is on your Viking key card.  And sometimes I bring a copy of Viking Daily (paper) showing ER info like ship agent (I think) and location of U.S. Embassy (just in case!!)

If sleeping overnight on plane, bring small bag of things needed next morning. And for those who manage to travel light, when going back home, remember you'll need something to put your pajamas in (assuming you wear them) and tooth paste, etc.  Your luggage will be taken from you the night before. 

I always bring a pair of old glasses, as I'll be in bad shape if I lose my current ones.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IheartNYC said:

Peribit, our negative covid test wasn't even checked by Viking.  They just checked our passports and took a credit card to keep on file. They did do a temperature check as soon as we were in the tent and asked us the health questions similar to the health attestation we did and that was it. We were on board in 15 mins.

Thanks for posting.  How about entry to Iceland?  Did you encounter any problem at the boarder with the video-supervised antigen test?

11 minutes ago, peribit said:

Thanks for posting.  How about entry to Iceland?  Did you encounter any problem at the boarder with the video-supervised antigen test?

Peribit, no issues with Delta at all. They did check it twice as I mentioned before, once before they let us into the line for baggage drop and also on the actual counter where we dropped off our luggage. Covid test wasn't even checked when we arrived in Iceland, only our bar code was scanned and also the passport was checked

3 hours ago, Conrmom said:

Haven't cruised yet.  However, I don't think you'll need anything to block any light leakage at night.  From what I've seen on webcams recently, it is actually getting pitch black at night in Iceland!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I don't know where in Virginia you live.  But if you get the Washington Post, in Sunday's Travel section (which we received on Sat.) there is a front-page story about the Westfjords, including a newish drive around that area.  I don't know if that's the drive you were on, but even if not, you may want to read the article.  

Thanks for the heads up on the KEF airport.  I'm not looking forward to our return home post-cruise.  

Thanks for mentioning the Washington Post. We are actually staying tonight at the West in Dulles so may be able to find a copy tomorrow.

You asked me earlier about Icelandair. I liked it and would use it again. Their boarding at KEF though is a free for all compared to IAD. But we all got on board and still arrived early.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Conrmom said:

I think this a hard one. I wish I had taken another short sleeve t shirt and a pair of lighter pants but we had very nice weather. I didn’t use my base layer pants but would not have wanted to be without them in case we had the cooler, damp weather that is common. It is all so weather dependent. So that really isn’t much help is it? Lol

• Like 1