Travelling Solo

Linda VH

Has anyone sailed solo (I know about the single supplement) and what are your experiences.   My husband and I sailed with Regent many times (Explorer 5 times plus all the other except Navigator) but he died in late 2018 and I'm just now getting back in the swing of travel.  Any experiences you can share would be a help to me with decision making.  Thank you!

I did… transatlantic on Explorer in 2019. My DH was told he could not fly at that time, and he insisted that I go on the cruise solo.

It was fabulous. Of course, I missed him. But made some great friends and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Some nights I dined with others, some were alone, by choice. 
Before I retired, I traveled for business so I was accustomed to traveling alone. 
It was a great sailing but I like it better when he is there with me. 
sheila

• Like 2

PS… I forgot my first solo cruise on Raddison Diamond in 1992. My first husband had died and I loved to cruise. My kids insisted I book this New Years cruise so I would not be alone. 
I went with a heavy heart, but so many people were so kind. I will never forget that journey. 
My first experience with Regent and never stopped sailing with them. 
sheila

Hope this wasn’t too personal. 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 3

Linda VH,

Regent has a pre-dinner get-together nightly for solo travelers in one of the lounges, hosted by a Staff Member. If you like, you can join the group for dinner.

I've done it a number of times and it's a lovely way to meet people and to have company for dinner.

Very low key and enjoyable.

Peggy

• Like 3

I joined with the Social and Solo program on the Navigator in April/May 2019 for the last two legs of a world cruise.  Several of the passengers with the group were world cruisers so I am not sure how many people are normally part of this group.  One thing this gathering did was it caused me to attend several performances which I normally would have skipped just to see the performers I had met through the gatherings.      

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this thread! I just booked (second attempt; Jan 2022 was canceled) a South America itinerary on Voyager with a low single supplement, just 25%. I was on Oceania’s November 2021 transatlantic cruise and really enjoyed the solo get togethers. 
I am hoping to be able to share at dinner, as I love to meet new people and make new friends!

• Like 1