Is the iced tea fresh brewed or Nestea?

At least on NCL's Star, the iced tea was served from one of the huge beverage servers that they would use for coffee at breakfast.

I realize, of course, that each company may very well be different.

At least on the the 2 RCCL cruises we've done, it is brewed. "Fresh" would, I suppose, depend on your definition, but brewed, not Nestea. Was self serve out of the typical big tea dispenser but not from a "fountain" or bar gun like Coke.

OK, as a big iced tea drinker and having been on many RCI cruises, I have investigated this and everyone is wrong! ;) The tea is not brewed. It comes from a condensed liquid in gallon jugs, that is mixed with water to instantly make 'tea'. (Perhaps there is some brewing happening back there when the supplier dumps the stuff into the gallon jugs, but for sure on board they just mix it with water and it is presto! tea.)

But - it really does taste good. I hate instant (powdered) tea and this is much better than that.

OK, as a big iced tea drinker and having been on many RCI cruises, I have investigated this and everyone is wrong! ;) The tea is not brewed. It comes from a condensed liquid in gallon jugs, that is mixed with water to instantly make 'tea'.

This poster is absolutely correct. The tea is from concentrate. I personally don't care for it at all and brew my own using the tea bags and hot water available at the beverage stations onboard. I then pour my brewed tea over ice and presto... brewed iced tea. Works every time.;)

This poster is absolutely correct. The tea is from concentrate. I personally don't care for it at all and brew my own using the tea bags and hot water available at the beverage stations onboard. I then pour my brewed tea over ice and presto... brewed iced tea. Works every time.;)

I second this! After a few tries, you can easily measure the right amount of water and ice, brew your own in a hot drink mug, then pour it over ice and have FRESH brewed tea! I do this all the time.

The tea was way to strong for me. And I didn't like the taste. :mad: And I'm a tea drinker - all day long and summer and winter (even up north). I drank more water on the ship or lemonade, but I hated the calories (I drink my tea without sugar).

The concentrate is slightly sweet. They do have sweet and low, equal, etc as well as regular sugar and cane sugar.

On Galveston sailings, I have sometimes been offered "sweet tea" in the dining room (Southerners will know what this is) - Oh my gosh it made my teeth ache and I like sweets!

Another suggestion -- I wasn't too thrilled with the iced tea either, but if you mix it with half lemonade it's actually not too bad. Try it!

I did brew my own as suggesed above a couple times, but most of the time I don't have the patience. But if did the half-n-half it was much more drinkable.

LeeAnne

Well, coffee drinkers wage long and poetic about their likes and dislikes about ships' coffees; and there's a Starbucks on every corner, and specialty coffee shops on ships, so it doesn't seem much different for those who don't drink coffee to wonder how the iced tea is.

Kinda comparable, I'd say.

It's official....

...I've now seen it all.

It's amazing what people will worry about before a cruise!

D.

Do you actually live in Texas? If you do, how can you not know about the debate about what kind of iced tea is served. In the northeast, iced tea is usually that Nestea stuff (yuck!). Ask for sweet tea and they won't know what you are talking about.

Actually "travelgirl" was not completely correct. In the Windjammer, it is from concentrate. In the Dining room at diner (I always have my waiter keep my glass full of iced tea), the tea is fresh-brewed. I suspect they are doing the "Masterbaker" recipe, but is has always on every RCI ship been fresh-brewed.

By the way, the coffe is the same way...... instant in the Windjammer/ Fresh-Brewed in the dining room.

I drink better than a quart of iced tea per day, so to me, having to swill that high-calorie stuff can make a difference. Not only doesn't it taste as good, as much as I drink, I'm adding nearly a meal worth of calories per day.

Incidently, I have a message forum at my site, and would appricate anybody who'd like to help get if off the ground to visit! http://www.rcifan.com

I actually have been considering if I should take my Ice Tea brewer with me. But I'm still leery of using water from the cabin. Plus I'd have to empty the cabin fridge to store the three quarts I brew at a turn.

The water from the tap in the ship is probably more pure than what you get at home.

My favorite drink is definitely fresh brewed ice tea and I do not care for the tea on the ship. However, it is the only diet drink I like and I get plenty of calories in all that I eat on board. I’ve never noticed a difference between the tea in the Windjammer and the tea in the dining room. I’ll pay more attention this April.

Looking forward to our next cruise . . .

Constellation Oct. ’06 – Western Caribbean

Brilliance of the Seas April ’06 – Panama Canal

Jewel of the Seas Oct. ’05 – Bermuda and Caribbean

Dawn Princess March '05 - Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess '04 (C752 Cabin off back of ship) - Eastern Caribbean

Island Princess '03 - Panama Canal

Star Princess '03 - Mexican Riveria

Grand Princess '02 - Western Caribbean

Enchantment of the Seas '98 - Eastern Caribbean

Archived