2021/2022 Antarctic Cruise Season Go or No Go??

PaulMCO

5 hours ago, FLRI said:

Post #43 States:

Ushuaia is not considered safe by other Cruise lines .  Hurtigruten and Crystal will not depart from there,  They are using Punta Arenas.  They are also avoiding airport exposure by chartering their own plane from Miami 

Can you elaborate on why Ushuaia is not considered safe by other cruise lines?

And Crystal is departing from Ushuaia — their charter is MIA to USH. They are not using Punta Arenas. Silversea is using Punta Arenas.

Exactly.   Crystal is porting from Ushuaia. In fact they will do an overnight at a hotel there after their direct flight from MIA.   National Geo is doing the same.   Quark is queuing in BA and then Charter to USH.   The reason the others high tailed it to Chile was Chile opened first and it had ZERO to do with passenger safety it was purely economic.   Silversea also will switch future Antarctic cruise to Chilean ports.

HI:    I am happy to find this fourm.    My GF and I are going with Tauck to Antarctica on December 7th (don't remember ship offhand) and really looking forward to it.   I'm sure that Tauck is monitoring the conditions very closely.  I just returned this morning from an inaugural  transatlantic on the brand new Holland America Rotterdam.    There were only 900 passengers and we all (including the crew) tested negative !    We were tested three times.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 4:52 AM, ethan1171 said:

COVID will never go away, same as flu - We, as a society at some point, will become accustomed with what it means and the death toll. Same as to what happened with the flu which kills between 12,000 and 52,000 Americans each year.

The current rate in the US works out to 450,000 per year. Let's hope we can bring it down a bit lower before deciding it's acceptable.

• 3 weeks later...

PaulMCO, just wanted to thank you for being instrumental in getting a lot of information to other Antarctica guests for this rather unusual and unpredictable season.  I think you must be getting very excited right about now.  I want to wish you and yours a very safe and wonderful Antarctica cruise.

Ashley

On 11/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, goldengatecruisers said:

PaulMCO, just wanted to thank you for being instrumental in getting a lot of information to other Antarctica guests for this rather unusual and unpredictable season.  I think you must be getting very excited right about now.  I want to wish you and yours a very safe and wonderful Antarctica cruise.

Ashley

Thank you Ashley,  this been a very unpredictable year.  We just returned from Argentina and we NEVER boarded Quarks Ultramarine.   Quark cancelled the voyage at the last moment as 4 crew members (later updated to 9) tested positive for COVID.  We are really disappointed.

51 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Thank you Ashley,  this been a very unpredictable year.  We just returned from Argentina and we NEVER boarded Quarks Ultramarine.   Quark cancelled the voyage at the last moment as 4 crew members (later updated to 9) tested positive for COVID.  We are really disappointed.

Paul:  Did you even make it Ushuaia or were you held at the hotel in BA?  This explains why the ship has been docked in Ushuaia for the last several weeks.  I will email our TA and see if she can get some type of read from Quark on whether the season will proceed.

Thanks for the update.  Know you are disappointed.

Ed

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

So sorry to hear! I read the horror stories about Quark canceling from others as well, and how badly they did it. Although it was the right decision - the lack of transparency, not having a plan B, getting into a this sticky situation with their crew, etc etc makes Quark look really bad. Will they be able to recover and continue with the season? I doubt it.

Again - and I posted this in other forums also - in these uncertain times the reliability, safety and honesty of the operator is key. 100 passengers and less, itinerary, landings are important. Safety and an operator that can get you to Antarctica and back safely and reliably is *the* number one priority.

10 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

I am so sorry to hear about this disappointment, given all the efforts you made preparing, helping us prepare with this thread, etc.  I am now happy I postponed Antarctica plans, again, due to the Covid uncertainties (combined with Chile/Argentina having difficulty making up their minds about opening at all, and then on bubble policy, ), and in hindsight am glad I did, though the SS Explorer successfully completed its first run with pax and with no cases and pax posted beautiful pictures.

I assume Quark crew were all vaxxed and tested pre-boarding (or were they, and with what, and how long ago?) , and then quarantined a few more days, and then masked when doing their business on board -- and  yet 9 crew members turned positive.  They have to live tightly together, however, so the lack of social distancing remains a problem with crew, (whether or not responsible for the current protocol failures).

We don't know the whole story here.  But in general,  too many pax also think their leaky little masks make them invincible and ignore social distancing (or are forced to ignore it during crowded boarding conditions, e.g., reported recently on SS in LIsbon), or on jam-packed excursions.

Crystal is still sending out ads for its Antarctica season this year, BTW, if you're interested!

10 hours ago, ed1aa said:

Paul:  Did you even make it Ushuaia or were you held at the hotel in BA?  This explains why the ship has been docked in Ushuaia for the last several weeks.  I will email our TA and see if she can get some type of read from Quark on whether the season will proceed.

Thanks for the update.  Know you are disappointed.

Ed

Yes we made it to BA only.  They broke the news to us in the bubble hotel in BA.

I am really pissed at Quark -- THEY violated the bubble.  While they came to SA from the EU, they did stop for an extended period in Montevideo.  Likely they picked up some of the expedition crew there.

So where did the COVID if they were supposed to be in a bubble??

53 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes we made it to BA only.  They broke the news to us in the bubble hotel in BA.

I am really pissed at Quark -- THEY violated the bubble.  While they came to SA from the EU, they did stop for an extended period in Montevideo.  Likely they picked up some of the expedition crew there.

So where did the COVID if they were supposed to be in a bubble??

I am pondering posting on Quark's Facebook site and asking them to confirm that the 11/25/2021 Expedition was cancelled due to COVID.  However, I doubt they would respond.  More than likely they would have it removed.

Ed

2 hours ago, ed1aa said:

I am pondering posting on Quark's Facebook site and asking them to confirm that the 11/25/2021 Expedition was cancelled due to COVID.  However, I doubt they would respond.  More than likely they would have it removed.

Ed

I am restraining myself on social media until I receive my refund.  They owe us alot of money for the cancelled voyage.

Here is a copy of an email from Quark to our TA:

"Thank you for your email. Yes, as part of our stringent COVID protocols, during routine crew testing on the night of 24th November, some of our crew tested positive for COVID.

Rest assured that we are focusing all our efforts on safely returning to operation so that we can deliver amazing polar experiences for our guests. At this time, we are still planning to operate the rest of our season beginning with December 13th departure.

Should this need to change we will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding."

I deleted who it was sent to etc. Someone on another board has stated that Quark has cancelled the 12/13/2021 Expedition, but I find that it is still listed on their website.

FYI, my wife and I are on the 01/10/2022 Expedition. But this is really starting to get out of hand on Quark's part.

Ed

I can confirm the Dec 13 sailing is cancelled.  We got the word yesterday.  See bellow:

I'm disappointed and angry at the same time.  Still waiting on what their options offer will be now.

It's frustrating when, we have been doing our best to avoid COVID and be ready with all the tests needed to get to Argentina.  (sigh)  

am sorry but I have some very disappointing news about your voyage due to depart on December 13th 2021.

As part of our stringent covid protocols and in preparation for our trip, nine crew members tested positive for Covid. 

We have been working with the Argentinian port authorities and following their instructions and guidance. However, we do not yet have a finalised plan agreed with them.

Given this, in order to give as much certainty and prior notice as possible and to avoid last minute disruption, it is with regret that we have taken the decision to cancel the 13th December voyage. We are aware that many of our customers were due to depart imminently for pre-voyage itineraries so wanted to advise you of this as soon as possible. 

We are deeply sorry for the disappointment and frustration this very unfortunate news will cause. Our teams globally are available to help you in anyway and we will be in touch shortly with you to discuss your rebook or refund options. 

Kind Regards,
Thomas Lennartz
Vice President Sales and Client Experience 
Quark Expeditions Inc. 

On 12/1/2021 at 5:42 PM, Pirateskigirl said:

I can confirm the Dec 13 sailing is cancelled.  We got the word yesterday.  See bellow:

I'm disappointed and angry at the same time.  Still waiting on what their options offer will be now.

It's frustrating when, we have been doing our best to avoid COVID and be ready with all the tests needed to get to Argentina.  (sigh)  

am sorry but I have some very disappointing news about your voyage due to depart on December 13th 2021.

As part of our stringent covid protocols and in preparation for our trip, nine crew members tested positive for Covid. 

We have been working with the Argentinian port authorities and following their instructions and guidance. However, we do not yet have a finalised plan agreed with them.

Given this, in order to give as much certainty and prior notice as possible and to avoid last minute disruption, it is with regret that we have taken the decision to cancel the 13th December voyage. We are aware that many of our customers were due to depart imminently for pre-voyage itineraries so wanted to advise you of this as soon as possible. 

We are deeply sorry for the disappointment and frustration this very unfortunate news will cause. Our teams globally are available to help you in anyway and we will be in touch shortly with you to discuss your rebook or refund options. 

Kind Regards,
Thomas Lennartz
Vice President Sales and Client Experience 
Quark Expeditions Inc. 

Definitely feel for you.  They will or have offered you a refund.  They will offer 25% off a future sailing.  For us they offered 40% off a similar sailing next year.

We did same -- isolated for 2 weeks at home.  No dinners, just went to grocery and stayed at home.  Then when we got to BA early (we originally planned to go to USH and spend some time there) we isolated at a rather expensive hotel to just chill for the 5 days.

I really want to know what really happened.  Clearly something broke down in their crew bubble as other lines did not have issues with crew and spreading infection.

Hopefully we get our refund back in a timely manner.  It took people on past cancellations months to get their money back.

We are off to the Caribbean next week -- have to do something to salvage our vacation.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, ed1aa said:

I am getting the feeling that our Expedition which is scheduled for 01/10/2022 may be the first one for the season.  Not to sure I want to be a guinea pig on their first cruise.

Ed

Best of luck Ed  and hope you are a go.

I see you also post on Trip Advisor as do I (radarman)

Thank-you for all the info, I am so sorry for the canceled cruises.  We are on the Quark Ultramarine Feb 11 and trying to figure out if best to cancel now or wait... We have a travel agent friend who is in Antarctica now. He had an issue with a different cruise line (not Quark) . They were leaving  last weekend and a few passengers tested positive, they kept the ship an extra night in Ushuaia so they could retest the passengers and make sure  they were accurate positive tests.  The passengers who were positive got off the ship and  are now  quarantining for 10 days in Ushuaia.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:13 AM, PaulMCO said:

I am restraining myself on social media until I receive my refund.  They owe us alot of money for the cancelled voyage.

Will you also get back the money spent on flying to BA and back from SS?  

Insurance would not likely cover that because you got your flight (even though the point of the flight there was wasted), would it?  Last year when DH and I were in Australia half-way through our cruise when Covid hit the world, we were sent home mid-cruise, so our two round trip business fares hardly seemed worth it (and were not reimbursed through our cruise line or insurance). 

Between this Quark story, and the fiasco on the Silver Cloud, I am feeling relieved I did not book Antarctica this year (though pictures people who have made it without disruptions, on other ships,  are of course gorgeous).

2 hours ago, smgapp said:

Thank-you for all the info, I am so sorry for the canceled cruises.  We are on the Quark Ultramarine Feb 11 and trying to figure out if best to cancel now or wait... We have a travel agent friend who is in Antarctica now. He had an issue with a different cruise line (not Quark) . They were leaving  last weekend and a few passengers tested positive, they kept the ship an extra night in Ushuaia so they could retest the passengers and make sure  they were accurate positive tests.  The passengers who were positive got off the ship and  are now  quarantining for 10 days in Ushuaia.

smgapp:

We discussed with our TA and decided to give it a couple of weeks and see if Quark is going to cancel for the sake of any penalties they may impose if you cancel now.

Ed

On 12/2/2021 at 6:56 PM, PaulMCO said:

Definitely feel for you.  They will or have offered you a refund.  They will offer 25% off a future sailing.  For us they offered 40% off a similar sailing next year.

We did same -- isolated for 2 weeks at home.  No dinners, just went to grocery and stayed at home.  Then when we got to BA early (we originally planned to go to USH and spend some time there) we isolated at a rather expensive hotel to just chill for the 5 days.

I really want to know what really happened.  Clearly something broke down in their crew bubble as other lines did not have issues with crew and spreading infection.

Hopefully we get our refund back in a timely manner.  It took people on past cancellations months to get their money back.

We are off to the Caribbean next week -- have to do something to salvage our vacation.

They offered us the option of a full refund or rebooking on the Ultramarine for a 2022-2023 voyage.  We have opted for the full refund.  They are suppose to send the paper work for getting our refund monies wired to our selected bank accounts.  Hopefully. it won't take long.  Someday I will get to the South pole.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 11:40 AM, PaulMCO said:

I see that Quark finally made it out to sea.  Best of luck to all the passengers and future cruisers.

For us we received our refund this week.  Probably will use it for an Alaska cruise in the summer.

I am currently on the Ultramarine heading back to Ushaia after a fabulous expedition to Antarctica, South Georgia, South Orkney Islands.  The ship, expedition team, staff…everything was top notch.  Helicopter touring was a big bonus.   Covid was handled extremely well.  We underwent 5 PCR tests to assure everyone was safe.  Ultramarine is Covid free!   I can not say enough good things about the experience.    

• Like 1