Britannia 11th July

Stu UK

Thought I would start this thread as it’s a little overcast this morning and waiting for the sun to break through. 

Embarked yesterday. Relatively smoothly. We used CPS and had an arrival time of 11:30am. Passport and vaccination status were checked at the remote Covid test site which we entered via Dock gate 20. We picked the wrong queue out of the 4 as there was a trainee. However by noon we had been tested and drove down to the Ocean Terminal, dock gate 4. 

CPS were ready and no queue to leave the car. Porters not allowed to take the luggage we we carried to the drop off point. Entered the departure area and had all the medical questions asked again (same as on the online declaration) then sat to await Covid test text. That arrived at 12:30 so we could then do the full check in. 

Although we had priority boarding the ship was not yet ready and the priority “lounge” was full. As expected no refreshments and some very grumpy P&O regulars who only wanted to talk about pre-pandemic. We are just so glad to be away. 

Embarkation started at 13:05 and took about 10mins to get through security. Once onboard you were guided to your muster station and then you were free to find your cabin. All in all quite smooth. 

We are fortunate enough to have a lovely B deck aft suite (think with new balcony furniture) so went to embarkation lunch. This was a sit down meal with complementary drinks. All rather nice. 

We have brought the in-laws with us and they had a 14:15 arrival. Their process was very smooth. They used Triangle Parking and had Covid tests at the terminal.  By the time we finished lunch they were onboard. They have a midship balcony but on each deck there is a Covid isolation area so for them to get from midship to aft we have to go to deck 7 or 16 and along then going back to 14 B deck. A bit inconvenient but a small price to pay for the current situation. 

The p&o “app” is poor. It doesn’t seem to work apart from restaurant bookings. There are however areas on the ship where you can book shows, make changes etc. We ate in Sindhu and they said they could see a booking but for a different time compared to what was showing on the app. All got sorted very calmly. Meal was good, not great, and we finished so father in-law could watch the football. 

Naturally the theatre shows were rearranged to account for extra time etc so finally got to see Sounds of the Underground at sometime after 11pm - it was stunning!  Bumped into Neil Oliver , Cruise Director, who we haven’t seen for years, as we have been mainly sailing with other lines.  Recognised each other immediately despite face masks 😷

Breakfast today in the Epicurean - lovely and relaxing. Heading off now to find the in-laws. 

255C773F-F5C4-4EB0-BB15-CE173BB68715.jpeg

25F93961-8E00-453B-B702-1E940EDF0AE6.jpeg

0645AB9D-B40C-4540-90BC-B8A051C9C2F3.jpeg

C0B4D623-FAB3-4B59-8E10-2113080A230C.jpeg

74DC86E8-D0E8-458F-B2D2-5DCDE87EF1EF.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the post.  Looking forward to our suite next week even more now, we have been allocated the adjoining aft suite for our staycation.  We only have the standard suite 12:00 arrival time and will be looking forward to getting that lunch when we embark.

• Like 2

Enjoy your cruise!  

A quick question - we are due to travel later this month.  The entertainment booking has opened and it looks VERY limited.   There is absolutely nothing planned (or certainly available) for 2 of the days.  Can you tell me whether they open up more entertainment nearer departure date, or is it really that limited due to C-19?  

When we booked we were told that there would be something available every evening, so we are now concerned as it's one of the main reasons we cruise!  There was always something going on at all hours on previous cruises.

37 minutes ago, spudpompey said:

Enjoy your cruise!  

A quick question - we are due to travel later this month.  The entertainment booking has opened and it looks VERY limited.   There is absolutely nothing planned (or certainly available) for 2 of the days.  Can you tell me whether they open up more entertainment nearer departure date, or is it really that limited due to C-19?  

When we booked we were told that there would be something available every evening, so we are now concerned as it's one of the main reasons we cruise!  There was always something going on at all hours on previous cruises.

There are shows each night in the theatre and other venues. Booking on the website opened up on 1st July for our sailing on 11th. The website and onboard  “app” are poor and unreliable. On this 4 night cruise to nowhere there are 2 full shows, a comedian and a tribute act. There are supper shoes in the Limelight Club. Also several films being shown throughout the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu UK said:

There are shows each night in the theatre and other venues. Booking on the website opened up on 1st July for our sailing on 11th. The website and onboard  “app” are poor and unreliable. On this 4 night cruise to nowhere there are 2 full shows, a comedian and a tribute act. There are supper shoes in the Limelight Club. Also several films being shown throughout the day. 

Thanks for that Stu.  We are booked for 25 July and most of the shows we want to see are showing as fully booked.  We have managed to book one event but only available for one day.  I suspect they are holding something back or IT issues but I was wondering if you could tell me who is playing in the limelight club? I can’t see anything on the website and thinking this might be something that can only be booked on board?

Thanks Stu.  I think we're on the same trip as you Sam.   We are struggling to get booked on anything bar Sunday and Wednesday.  

Stu - usually when we've been with P&O there's plenty of other things going on in the bars throughout the day (quizzes, singers, outside dj, pianist in the Crow's nest, games outside etc.,) ....  Just wondering if that's the same where you can just turn up and enjoy, or has it all been scaled back?

Last question from me as I think you probably need to get back to enjoying your holiday!

Great to have this info and photos etc for the 11th sailing on Britannia. Thank you. And this has whetted my appetite even more for our 25th July sailing.

And crikey how I have missed breakfasts in The Epicurean: quite simply THE best way to start the day.

Edited by Camberley

44 minutes ago, spudpompey said:

Thanks Stu.  I think we're on the same trip as you Sam.   We are struggling to get booked on anything bar Sunday and Wednesday.  

Stu - usually when we've been with P&O there's plenty of other things going on in the bars throughout the day (quizzes, singers, outside dj, pianist in the Crow's nest, games outside etc.,) ....  Just wondering if that's the same where you can just turn up and enjoy, or has it all been scaled back?

Last question from me as I think you probably need to get back to enjoying your holiday!

They are all still happening. 

59 minutes ago, SailorSamtheman said:

Thanks for that Stu.  We are booked for 25 July and most of the shows we want to see are showing as fully booked.  We have managed to book one event but only available for one day.  I suspect they are holding something back or IT issues but I was wondering if you could tell me who is playing in the limelight club? I can’t see anything on the website and thinking this might be something that can only be booked on board?

Currently in the Limelight it’s Eric & Ern - a tribute to Morecambe and Wise. 

To give people a flavour here is today’s Horizon and some menus. Hope they upload in a format you can read. The thermal suite at the spa is closed. 

0ED5A4C7-7280-489A-9A2B-F4916143A219.jpeg

BC5273D5-6C4E-4CB0-9F08-A551DF3655FA.jpeg

48172E9B-0059-40D7-AF20-9900F8EC4DF0.jpeg

6C35F378-262E-4DC0-8465-61F25445BE5B.jpeg

4074B79B-5238-48C9-BD2F-E2BC9467B303.jpeg

A644DA37-2546-431B-B89B-205D67E56626.jpeg

126EF331-393F-4F00-82BA-23245B6EC20C.jpeg

D9DA416F-863A-4470-B30F-CA855654FCF5.jpeg

615EE9A4-345E-41EF-B34A-2D58E2352508.jpeg

3C4B16ED-2E59-4667-92C0-083C0B1FD1F8.jpeg

Edited by Stu UK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for posting the menus. Looks as though they have removed the “everyday classics” or whatever the non moving meals were called! 

That’s a shame. I wonder if they would still make any of the classics if requested? (Ie Steak, Salmon)

13 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Thank you for posting the menus. Looks as though they have removed the “everyday classics” or whatever the non moving meals were called! 

That’s a shame. I wonder if they would still make any of the classics if requested? (Ie Steak, Salmon)

Hi...what I call the classics...prawn cocktail/tomato soup...salmon/steak are still on the last menu shown but don't think the chicken is.

13 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi...what I call the classics...prawn cocktail/tomato soup...salmon/steak are still on the last menu shown but don't think the chicken is.

Oh yeah I see that there. I just wonder if they will be there every night as they are usually separate! Fingers crossed. The steak is usually really good! 

My latest tip if you have a suite and want to entertain. Rather than ordering the P&O canapés pick the “to share” boxes from room service that are free in suites. Lovely warm bite sized items that your butler will deliver at the appointed time.  We went for the Ocean catch and Asian bento box. 

Helicopter evacuation at 6:30pm yesterday. Hopefully they were ok. The evac from UK waters was completed by the UK coastguard. That provides some comfort with all the initial travel insurance confusion on cover. 

3D76E067-8DBA-4F1D-B77F-C3D95381C908.jpeg

3B8632B8-9191-4898-92D6-839D2EAAD1B3.jpeg

BB127A89-FE56-4B27-9035-2ED40BF73736.jpeg

Edited by Stu UK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

My latest tip if you have a suite and want to entertain. Rather than ordering the P&O canapés pick the “to share” boxes from room service that are free in suites. Lovely warm bite sized items that your butler will deliver at the appointed time.  We went for the Ocean catch and Asian bento box. 

Thanks for that, forgot that was one of the perks of the suites.  

Hope your having a great trip, certainly looks like you are having great weather.

I also saw a passenger had to be airlifted off near St Ives, hope they okay.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Glitterati said:

Oh yeah I see that there. I just wonder if they will be there every night as they are usually separate! Fingers crossed. The steak is usually really good! 

The every day specials were not on the menus on our cruise 8th July😢

A video with a few random thoughts, plus a picture of afternoon tea on the balcony entertaining the in-laws. 

Have a look at some other cruise thoughts on our YouTube Channel Through The Porthole. All being well as the next few months progress we will be comparing suites on Crlebrity Apex, P&O and Cunard, recognising they all have different prices and benefits. So which will be best value ?

B6807624-DC41-45AD-B196-6E3455320C46.jpeg

Edited by Stu UK
  • Like 5