Viking "Paris & Normandy" river cruise

drewmon

I saw that the Viking "Paris & the Heart of Normandy" river cruise started up again this week. We are planning to take this cruise in another month.

Observations from anyone on this cruise now, or on any other river cruise operating in France at this time? Any issues, problems, changes, with this being the first run in over a year?

drumon, we are in your same situation. I’m pretty sure many of us are eagerly awaiting word from those on the first sailings and hope to see posts from these passengers very soon.  

Since the Pass Sanitaire Pres. Macron instituted becomes mandatory August 1, and the Delta variant is rapidly spreading in so many countries, it’s going to be interesting to see how things go these next couple of weeks. Things keep changing so rapidly! 

Edited by mlbcruiser

We are currently on the ship.All is very good, except the weather which is typically bad in July.

If you have any specific questions, I’ll answer them for you. Biggest issue currently is that earlier masks were not required outdoors. Now more places such as Monet’s Garden and Honfluer require them everywhere. Don’t consider tryyto come if you’re not vaccinated.!

We were on the Bon Voyage in Bordeaux last week. Can answer questions about that cruise likewise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for posting, pinotlover and for being willing to answer questions!

Here are a few questions that perhaps you can answer:

Has it been a Viking rule that passengers can only leave the ship if they are with one of the Viking tours? If so, has there been any extra time allowed on the tours to shop or grab a lunch or something? Also if the decision to require passengers to stay with the tour goes according to local rules or Vikings rules?

Are masks required throughout the ship? What about on deck in the open air?

Once passengers initially boarded the ship on embarkation day, were they allowed to get back off that day on their own yet still return to the ship?

Do you know if the information passengers filled out for Viking on the verify app serves as a pass sanitaire, which will soon be absolutely required to do many things in France?

Do you have information on being tested before disembarking, such as the type of Covid test Viking will administer, when this test will be administered, and if there is a fee? If there is a fee, what is it? 

Sorry to hear about the weather you are experiencing. Is it mostly rain, mostly heat, or both? 

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Thanks so much for posting, pinotlover and for being willing to answer questions!

Here are a few questions that perhaps you can answer:

Has it been a Viking rule that passengers can only leave the ship if they are with one of the Viking tours? If so, has there been any extra time allowed on the tours to shop or grab a lunch or something? Also if the decision to require passengers to stay with the tour goes according to local rules or Vikings rules?

Are masks required throughout the ship? What about on deck in the open air?

Viking doesn’t start sailing until 8/1. Am currently on Uniworld, but here are the answers based on French requirements. Masks are required going to and from the restaurants and bars, but not therein once served. One wears their mask until they get outside, and then can remove them.

Once passengers initially boarded the ship on embarkation day, were they allowed to get back off that day on their own yet still return to the ship?  

One can get off and walk around town with no problem.

Do you know if the information passengers filled out for Viking on the verify app serves as a pass sanitaire, which will soon be absolutely required to do many things in France?

To get into many of the establish venues, you will be required to present your passport and Covid vaccination record to be allowed entry.

Do you have information on being tested before disembarking, such as the type of Covid test Viking will administer, when this test will be administered, and if there is a fee? If there is a fee, what is it? 

This is proving to be an issue because of the paperwork verifications of France. The French internet page was difficult to navigate and people were bombing out! Uniworld is now having us go to a Pharmacy, of our choice, on Friday, and having the test done and getting the paperwork directly. Cost is 29 Euros each. You get your results in about 15 minutes.

Sorry to hear about the weather you are experiencing. Is it mostly rain, mostly heat, or both? 

Rainy, windy, and very cool. Come prepared with sweaters and rain gear. It has been an unusually cold summer over here. Both Bordeaux and Champagne are worried if they’ll even have a grape crop this year.

Thanks again!

Let me add to the wearing of masks. Predominately outside, one is not required. But some high traffic shooing and tourist areas require them. A City Market or main shopping street for instance. Required on all busses, and public transportation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are leaving Saturday for the cruise that sails Aug 1st. I, like mlbcruiser would like to know if we are able to explore on our own on the 1st day. We have the airport transfer with Viking so not sure if after the initial testing and boarding they will let us out, will be kind of a waste not to be able to get out. 

On 7/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, OurBabymoon said:

We are leaving Saturday for the cruise that sails Aug 1st. I, like mlbcruiser would like to know if we are able to explore on our own on the 1st day. We have the airport transfer with Viking so not sure if after the initial testing and boarding they will let us out, will be kind of a waste not to be able to get out. 

Paris will allow you to explore at will. Just have your passport and Covid vaccination records with you.

I don’t know Viking’s policy. See know reason why they wouldn’t let you off. We roam at will everywhere.

So has Viking allowed the pax on your cruise to head off on their own at various ports,  pinotlover? I got the impression you were in port in Giverny already, and likely elsewhere. Were pax on your cruise apparently being allowed to go into the towns, etc, on their own - and not only with a Viking tour group? Or to break off from the tour at any time if they wanted to?

pinotlover,  or any other current or recent cruiser, can you tell us if  Viking has been testing passengers daily for covid on board? This won’t be a problem if timing is not an issue.  

There is a post on another thread in which someone has heard AMA Waterways (or perhaps Uniworld?) has been requiring pax to turn in a swab for covid testing every morning before 7 a.m.!  That would certainly not contribute to an enjoyable vacation for those of us who lean towards being nightowls! Surely this isn’t the process on current  Viking cruises?

I sure hope you can give us the lowdown on that little tidbit of info - ? 

On Uniworld. Temperature taken exiting and rejoining ship. No daily swabs.

We are allowed to wander at will. No demand to only do ship tours. Have your passport and vaccination record with you for entry to many venues.

Viking isn’t starting up over here until 8/1. No one knows what Viking will be doing.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

My mistake. Thanks for clearing that up, however. Your info has still been valuable. Just figured you were on Viking due to the question title .

Perhaps I am mistaken again but I was told Viking resumed cruising in France over a week ago.   Apparently the op as well. However things change fast regarding such things of late. Uniworld’s  policy seems reasonable. Thanks for replying. 

Pinotlover, I just now saw on another thread where someone else who is sailing on August 15 was told by another poster that Viking’s first sailing is now supposed to take place August first. That is definitely a change I had not heard about. Apparently neither had some others but I guess you are only notified if something pertains to your own boat cruise.