Anyone have a report on "Divers Down" Scuba operation in Grand Cayman?

Hypo

We are going to Grand Cayman the first week in April. I am having a senior moment and cannot remember the name of the Dive Operator we used there several years ago. I think this is it, but since we lost our dive log (got wet and mold took over, what a mess!)

Anyway, any info anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hypo

Used them on early November cruise. Had to walk to shop and wait for other divers to show up since the "early dive" had left minutes before. Hit good dive sites. Did Hole in the Wall first as a group dive, 2nd dive we were pretty much on our own on Martin's Wall. Cayman not my favorite island, but diving was more enjoyable than on previous outings using shore excursions off ship.

Never dove with Divers Down but have dove and become friends with some dive masters there-- Ask for Andy or Paul both are great. Dove with them a lot when Bob Sotos was there before Reef Divers took over then Ivan destroyed them in Sept 04. My option is any dive operation that has been in business on that island for a long time is a great outfit. Give Divers Down a try. If you do ask the boys to wear their speedo bathing suits. Ak Paul to wear his purple one.:)

Has anyone dove with Eden Rock? My trip will take me to Grand Cayman (Georgetown). It is my understanding that Eden Rock is real close to where the cruise ships will port. Does anyone have any positive feedback from Eden Rock?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Rulds2: I dove Eden Rock once a few years ago. It was pretty dead. There are far more beautiful dive sites in Grand Cayman.

Marly

Which is why I usually recommend the turtle farm shore dive site by the http://www.divetech.com shop or the on-site shore dive at Sunset House, which is just a few blocks down from Eden Rock.

We chartered with Divers Down last year and it was not a great experience from the moment we walked into the shop until "the" captain dropped us off at 7MB. We are a pretty easy-going group but they made the 8 of us wish we had done something different. We are going again in August and have chartered with another company with great personal service. Our experience with Divers Down is just that, our experience, but it is our only excursion which I wish we had not done. We are looking forward to a great day in GC this August.

Cherie

We chartered with Divers Down last year and it was not a great experience from the moment we walked into the shop until "the" captain dropped us off at 7MB. We are a pretty easy-going group but they made the 8 of us wish we had done something different. We are going again in August and have chartered with another company with great personal service. Our experience with Divers Down is just that, our experience, but it is our only excursion which I wish we had not done. We are looking forward to a great day in GC this August.

Cherie

Could you be a bit more specific as to what you did not like about Divers Down?

Who are you going with in August?

I really don't like saying too many negative things about a company based on just one exepience. I will say that we chartered a private boat to accommodate the 8 of us because we wanted to make the most of our day. When we arrived at the Divers Down location they seemed very uninterested and the individuals working seemed like they would like to be anywhere but there. We had 4 snorkelers, 3 divers, and a ride along. For the divers I had let them know sizes for equipment but there was a problem with one of our sons having the right size. The guy who drove the boat, was the dive master, and snorkel guide was really nice but basically had too much to do. When we were dropped at 7MB for the ride back to town the employees on the beach seemed to have the same indifferent attitude. I think when one employee offered to help us cart some of the equipment to the van we just about fell over. For a 4 hour charter we spent about 21/2 on the water, which was disappointing. I think we just sceduled on a day when everyone seemed disgruntled. As I said previously, we are pretty easy going and have even had people that we have chartered with stop by to visit when they are in our area. This year we are chartering with Oh Boy Charters and are hoping for a great day in GC. I really hated coming away from GC last year with negative feelings.

cccole, thanks for the more detailed explanation regarding your experience. I hope you will come back here after your cruise and give a write up about your experience with Oh Boy since I've never heard of them. It is always good to know about alternative charter operators.

Archived