humidity & hair

bnsilly

We are having humid weather today, and my hair is a mess..

I know this sounds superficial...but ladies....

How is it on the cruises??? any hints to keeping hair going from curled, to flat as a pancake?? No hats for me...Any good styling products that help with the humidity, etc?? Thanks so much... 1st timer obviously...LOL ;)

• Administrators

Try "FrizzEase" hairspray or gel/mousse products. I use them all summer long at the beach (very "wet" there all the time), as well as on all my cruises and trips to the humid South.

Laura

I actually didn't have any problems and usually my hair reacts really badly to humidity. But I had just gotten mine cut right before the trip too so maybe the good behavior it always has right after I get it cut outweighed the humidity!

On my one and only cruise to Alaska, my hair was a disaster the whole trip basically. I gave up caring. I had it done at the salon which did not help it either. The water was something soft, hard I dont know and it made my hair very soft (no conditioner added) and it left it limp and it would curl and frizz if it wanted to and with the dampness in Alaska, so I just didnt worry.

I'm a little confused as I read the original post differently--that her hair goes flat if curled (not that she has curly hair that frizzes in the humidity) I personally have that awful in-between hair that has a little bit of a wave in it--not enough to wave if left to dry naturally, not stick straight either. I don't think that you want to aim for a curly look in the Caribbean if you don't have naturally curly hair--far better to work with the basics of what you're given (and, when that fails, put your hair up in a french twist--I live in NC and from July-Sept, most work days my hair ends up in a french twist by the end of the day--might start out down & straightened, but if I have to leave the a/c at all.....It goes up!!)

I'm a little confused as I read the original post differently--that her hair goes flat if curled (not that she has curly hair that frizzes in the humidity) I personally have that awful in-between hair that has a little bit of a wave in it--not enough to wave if left to dry naturally, not stick straight either. I don't think that you want to aim for a curly look in the Caribbean if you don't have naturally curly hair--far better to work with the basics of what you're given (and, when that fails, put your hair up in a french twist--I live in NC and from July-Sept, most work days my hair ends up in a french twist by the end of the day--might start out down & straightened, but if I have to leave the a/c at all.....It goes up!!)

My hair's the same way, just wavy on the ends, but pretty much stick straight. So I just usually leave it be. It'd take way too much time and energy on my part to get any curl in it at all!

My hair looks like I wet my finger and put it into a electric socket when it is humid. However, I don't have that much of a problem at sea. I think it is a non-muggy humid. But if I have problems, I just pull it up in a clip or ponytail.

I am also a fan of Frizz-Ease mousse. I also found a Pantene Gel for curls (it doesn't curl - it smooths out curls so they won't frizz. I use the Sleek and Smooth shampoo and conditioner to calm it down first. So when it's really bad, I use both the gel and the mousse after the Pantene wash and condition routine.

I actually like the crazy frizzy hair I get on cruises. It amuses me. I have shoulder length wavy/curly hair and it just goes nuts in the Caribbean. I just use some barrettes and pull if out of my face and go with it. Of course I usually look like crap during the day anyway from running around and in and out of the water. I don't wear any makeup during the day since I'm in the ocean and it'll just smear. Ah well. I don't worry about it. It's vacation! :) But I do realize not everyone would feel this way. ;)

My hair used to frizz in the humidity but I now have a process done to it once a year that prevents that. My stylist uses a product called "Anti Curl" by Rusk - though it really should be called Anti Frizz. It's not anything like the japanese hair straightening. After it's done, my hair looks exactly the same as before, except it won't frizz! It's wonderful. Costs me $100.

When I was visiting Fla. I asked my mother's hair stylist if he ever heard of it and he said that more than half his clients have it done to their hair. Some people have it done twice a year - depends on how frizzy your hair is and if you keep it short or not.

It really needs to be done in the salon because the stylist has to comb your hair straight continuously for about an hour.

Jane

I got a loose curl perm about a month or so (maybe longer) before we cruised. I just put curling mousse or gel on it and let it go. I either wore a hat, visor or used a headband to keep it out of my face and I was good to go! I didn't have time on our cruise to worry or stress out over my hair...I was having too much fun!:D

My hair used to frizz in the humidity but I now have a process done to it once a year that prevents that. My stylist uses a product called "Anti Curl" by Rusk - though it really should be called Anti Frizz. It's not anything like the japanese hair straightening. After it's done, my hair looks exactly the same as before, except it won't frizz! It's wonderful. Costs me $100.

When I was visiting Fla. I asked my mother's hair stylist if he ever heard of it and he said that more than half his clients have it done to their hair. Some people have it done twice a year - depends on how frizzy your hair is and if you keep it short or not.

It really needs to be done in the salon because the stylist has to comb your hair straight continuously for about an hour.

Jane

Jane, how does this work on double processed color? I am a strawberry blond with blond highlights and am afraid my hair would snap off if I did anything else to my hair.

I keep my hair as conditioned as possible but naturally curly hair is already coarse and dry without the color.

I actually like the crazy frizzy hair I get on cruises. It amuses me.

Oh SHUT UP! Just kiddin' - I wish I could feel that way! I used to stress so much over something that is SO out of my control. Now, when it's realllllly humid, I just wear a hat, or clip it up and get it french-braided for formal nights. My next life: I'm coming back with good hair. :D

Jane - I also have a couple of questions about Anti Curl. You say your hair looks the same only without frizz. Do you have any curl in your hair? Will it work for me (naturally curly hair, but loose curls - mostly wavy)? Will I still have some curl afterwards? I am going to ask my hairdresser if so, but I live in a really small town so I don't know if she's ever done it before. Is it that difficult a process?

Jane, how does this work on double processed color? I am a strawberry blond with blond highlights and am afraid my hair would snap off if I did anything else to my hair.

I keep my hair as conditioned as possible but naturally curly hair is already coarse and dry without the color.

I've done it and then did highlights about 3 weeks later. However, I don't have curly hair. My hair is mostly straight w/ a slight wave that I blow dry out. I didn't have a problem with the 2 processes, though I'm cautious and use an incredible conditioner called Crede. (you can find it online by doing a Froogle search). Maybe ask your stylist to look at the list of ingredients in the Rusk Anti-Curl and see if he/she feels there's anything harmful for your hair. My stylist always insists on 2 weeks between processes.

Jane

I can sympathize with everyone here. I have straight hair, with a little left over perm so there's a bit of wave, and it won't matter that I put in mousse and extra hold hair spray, the minute I walk out of the airport in Ft. Lauderdale or off the ship at the islands, my hair will drop. Usually during the day my hair is in a pony tail and I wear at hat. I'm going to try to find that FrizzEase product (I hope they sell it in Canada).

My solution...wear your hair super short or grown it really long...I live in humid Florida...and every day everyone fights with the humidity...I prefer keeping my hair long because there are so many up dos, and most of them are fun. Also there are a lot of hair barrettes on the market that really make your hair look beautiful. Hope that helped.

I have naturally curly hair just past my shoulders and it gets really frizzy in humidity. I don't use FrizzEase products anymore because my husband doesn't like how they smell in my hair. :eek:

Now I live in the desert so I really don't have to worry about frizzy hair much but when I cruise or visit humid places I use a straightening shampoo and conditioner; it really doesn't straighten the hair unless of course you choose to style it that way. It just helps to relax the hair. I still have my curls.

To control the frizz at the beach I just use a leave in conditioner. To control the frizz for the evening or normal day to day stuff I will use Curly Head. :)

Ohhhhh, I'm so jealous of all of you!!! Frizzy hair just sounds thick and curly or wavy. (Sigh) I guess I'll just have to stick to my short haircut that incidentally, thrives in humidity. Why do we always want something different??????:(

Esther

Archived