CocoCay: What to do?

Kim207

Hi there. My husband and I are taking our first cruise on April 30th on the Mariner. We don't really know what excursions to take, especially on CocoCay. If you don't purchase an excursion, what do you do? We have our own snorkle equipment, so is there a place we can snorkle on CocoCay without purchasing the excursion? Thanks!

Yes, you can snorkel by yourself with your own equipment, but they will insist that you wear a safety vest. If you don't have one, they'll make you rent one of theirs.

CoCoCay is a fantastic stop. You can lie out on a lounger or in a hammock. You can play beach volleyball or basketball. You can rent waverunners. The buffet lunch is wonderful. The straw market (cash only) sucks. (as my students would say. :)) You can walk the beach and swim and enjoy your gorgeous surroundings. It is one of the nicest spots I have ever been. Take a book, find a hammock in some or all shade, and just RELAX.

You will LOVE CoCoCay!!!!!!!!!!!

The island is for relaxing in the sun. I did see people getting a massage on the beach.

The earlier you snorkel, the better. There were 6 of us. The first group out, saw more. You can find more info under "Bahamas"

Be sure you enjoy a CocoLoco!

I'm bummed reading how great CocoCay is. On our cruise, along the way one of the ships engines wasn't working properly, so we limped along at a lower speed. As a result, we arrived at CocoCay well after lunchtime so there was no barbeque. Hubby and I had signed up for a snorkel excursion, and it was some of the best snorkeling I have ever been on - lots of beautiful fish (watch out for the little, stinging jellyfish). Unfortunately our time on the island was short. (It was my favorite island stop of the 3 - Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and CocoCay.)

I love CocoCay! Out of all of the islands we have been on, that is the most relaxing. Some of the best times of my life were going on the jet ski tours around coco cay. You are going to love that island. A whole island devoted to nothing but relaxation, that place is heaven!

Yes you can snorkle there.

Have fun!

Michele

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 9/97

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 9/98

NCL Norway 6/02

Disney Magic 2/05

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 4/07

I always try to be one of the first ones off the ship so my DH and I can claim a hammock for the day. We then drag a beach chair to where the hammock is, so while one of us is in the hammock the other one is sitting on the beach chair. There is nothing better then swaying in a hammock on a beautiful island.

Yes it is true that if you bring your own snorkel gear then you can just go in the ocean and snorkel. You can even get a life jacket for free from where they are handing out the snorkeling gear for those who paid.

When you go, enjoy a Coco-Loco drink because they are great!

Have fun!

make sure you walk around to the other side of the island where it's very very quiet and not many people.....it's a short walk but well worth it...(there are hammocks over there too)!!

enjoy it!! CocoCay is on our itinerary in April and we can't wait to go there again!!

What was your waverunner experience like??

I had read that it is very rocky around there, and you have a guide who leads you, etc and that is wasn't worth it?? Can't you clarify or give more insight? Will be there in less than 2 weeks!!! :D

We rented jet skis on CocoCay. It was the highlight of our cruise. It was so much fun. You go with a group and guide. You go fast and it is very bumpy but you have such a good time. We made 2 stops along the way. One stop was where there was a bunch of starfish and we were able to get off our jetskis and pick them up out of the water. I forgot what we did on the second stop. Afterwards, we went to a barbeque lunch and then relaxed on the beach.

Lots to do or do nothing at all...that is always an option on a cruise. Personally I like to stay on the ship that day and look at the lovely island. The ship is less crowded and you can really enjoy it, especially if this stop is one of the first on your itenary.

We Did The Jet Skis At Coco Cay And Loved It!! I Have Never Done It Before And Was A Little Scared But The Guides Were Great And Helpful And It Was One Of The Best Times Of My Life...flying Over The Water, Wind In Your Hair, Beautiful Water Under You...its About An Hour Trip And I Think Well Worth The Money!

Anyone care to comment on the Water Park and/or Water Slide?

My fiancee is a huge fan of water park stuff, so I've talked up the Cococay stop to him.... but then I saw a few photos on webshots of the water slide and it looks kinda lame. Think its worth the money especially if you aren't a young kid??

Snorkel vests are $6.00pp to rent. The lifeguards blow the whistle on people who bring their own snorkel gear without a vest. I don't know how they can enforce it as isn't it international waters? Anyway.. you can pick one up on e-bay for under $25 and they aren't a big deal to pack. Since the hurricanes last year, there isn't much to see as far as fish. I was there a couple weeks ago. I understand it used to be very nice.

The quiet side of the island (over past the water park) is a excellent place to hang out and relax. Not crowded with lots of chairs and people. Beautiful views. It was wonderful.

The waterpark stuff - Actually, the only thing that was being used was the water slide and that was just a few people. It was sort of funny as it looks like a kids blow-up slide and they use a hose to wet it down. No one was in the water on the climbing iceberg and other inflatables when we where there. Its the same sort of things you can use for free at Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

I understand the kayaking is lots of fun. I met a couple that loved it. We saw tours going out having a blast. Same with the other water sport rentals.

The water park did look kinda lame when I went a few years ago, I don't know if they changed it.

When I went, we went on the banana boats and it was soo fun and scary! What a blast!! Then we floated around on the beach mats, I felt like my cats.. have to lie around after a long day of doing nothing :D . The bbq was good too. I didn't try a coco loco, though.

When I go in June, I'm wanting to go snorkeling, and I'm thinking of bringing my own equipment (which I need to purchase first :p ), because I have this thing w/germs... don't get me started, haha. But I think I will rent the safety vest, so I don't have to lug one of those around in my bag.

Thanks for the feedback. Probably won't wind up paying the 20 bucks per person for a "Slip-n-Slide". That price seems steeper than the slide itself! :p

But if Cococay is anything like Labadee, then I am very excited to go there! Hammocks is all I needs to be pleased :D

Archived