Bottle of wine purchase questions?

We are sailing on the Aug 20th Ovation of the Seas cruise to Alaska.  We mostly sail Celebrity and they include the beverage package.  So it's been a long time since we've sailed Royal Caribbean.  Instead of buying a beverage package, we are thinking of drinking mostly wine.  We've already purchased the unlimited dining package, so wine by the bottle is discounted.  I have a few questions about purchasing wine by the bottle.  Can we purchase a full bottle at a bar?  Can we take the bottle with us if we leave the bar?  Can we order a bottle of wine through room service?  I know on Celebrity, if we buy a bottle of wine at dinner and don't finish it, they will keep it for the next nights consumption.  I assume Royal Caribbean does the same.  Thanks for the info.

I don't believe you can buy a bottle at a bar. At least, I don't recall seeing it done. 

You can purchase a bottle through room service, but I don't know that you can take it around with you. 

11 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I don't believe you can buy a bottle at a bar. At least, I don't recall seeing it done. 

You can purchase a bottle through room service, but I don't know that you can take it around with you. 

I now realize I might look like a drunk walking around in public. A glass in one hand and a bottle in the other.  All I'll need is a brown paper bag.  Maybe we'll stick to drinking the wine with dinner.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, slanik said:

I now realize I might look like a drunk walking around in public. A glass in one hand and a bottle in the other.  All I'll need is a brown paper bag.  Maybe we'll stick to drinking the wine with dinner.

I just took a look, and here's what it says for the wine discount with the Deluxe Package: "Plus, we'll give you a discount of 40% off bottles of wine under $100 and 20% off bottles above $100 in bars and dining rooms."

So, maybe they do sell bottles in bars.

However, it's true that you only get the UDP discount in specialty restaurants. 

You still may want to consider the Deluxe Package, though. They're selling it for $50/day right now, and you can typically find wines by the glass that are rather good. 

You can purchase a bottle of wine anywhere on the ship and they will keep it for you (if unfinished). Since my dh doesn't drink I usually have two unfinished bottles held by the beverage team so I can have either a nice white or a red at dinner.

No one mentioned you can also bring two bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml) on embarkment day. You can ask your RA for glasses if there are not any in your cabin. And yes, you can carry around a glass and a bottle if thats what you want lol 

• Like 1