Final Payment date moved what to do about excursions and dining?

Homerody

Our first O cruise has had its FP moved to 60 days prior to sailing. 

I was just about to give O a bag of money for excursions (assuming no private excursion will be available- but that is a different discussion)  and La Reserve bookings.

What is the collective wisdom about booking excursions and La Reserve after FP date change?  In particular based on the experience I've read about, here, that this is most likely a precursor to cancellation of cruise?

Beat the rush now or wait to the FP date and hope for the best.

What to do?  What to do?

If there is a shore excursion or La Reserve event that you would be seriously disappointed to miss, I would go ahead and book it. If you change your mind, you can always cancel and get a refund or put the money toward a different excursion.
I recently booked shore excursions for a December cruise (FP not due until mid-September), but because I put them in the shopping cart, but them hemmed and hawed about one of the ports, I ended up on a waitlist for one of the places I want to go. There is an alternative that is OK but not as good (which I booked), and I'm kicking myself for not buying things as soon as I knew I wanted them.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
dangling preposition...oh no!

25 minutes ago, Homerody said:

Our first O cruise has had its FP moved to 60 days prior to sailing. 

I was just about to give O a bag of money for excursions (assuming no private excursion will be available- but that is a different discussion)  and La Reserve bookings.

What is the collective wisdom about booking excursions and La Reserve after FP date change?  In particular based on the experience I've read about, here, that this is most likely a precursor to cancellation of cruise?

Beat the rush now or wait to the FP date and hope for the best.

What to do?  What to do?

We had multiple cruises modified/cancelled by O in 2020 and 2021. We got every expected penny back (for fares, tours, etc) within 10 days each time. Because some were early on in the Covid mess, we also got a few bonus FCCs.

O’s responsiveness, along with the reality that the most popular tours (as well as LaReserve) book full quickly, I wouldn’t hesitate to make your purchases ASAP.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If there is a shore excursion or La Reserve event that you would be seriously disappointed to miss, I would go ahead and book it. If you change your mind, you can always cancel and get a refund or put the money toward a different excursion.
I recently booked shore excursions for a December cruise (FP not due until mid-September), but because I put them in the shopping cart, but them hemmed and hawed about one of the ports, I ended up on a waitlist for one of the places I want to go. There is an alternative that is OK but not as good (which I booked), and I'm kicking myself for not buying things as soon as I knew I wanted them.

Yeah, good point.  My FOMO is on high alert.

Dangling preposition, eh?  Reminds me of the joke that takes place in an esteemed higher learning  institution and involves ending a question with a preposition - "at."  But I digress.

• Haha 1

If you cancel or the cruise is cancelled, Oceania automatically credits your La Reserve, Prive, Culinary Center and Excursions charges back to the credit card used. It is not a part of the Booking Refund which is handled separately. At least that is my experience Pre-Covid, Post Covid sailing, 🙏🤪

Gerry

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Homerody said:

What is the collective wisdom about booking excursions and La Reserve after FP date change? 

Oceania Guest statement - page 2 - lists the penalties for cancellation.

La Reserve and Oceania Excursions can be cancelled for full refund up to 36 hours before the event.

We have a 26 day cruise booked and there are 22 days with La Reserve dates possible. My remembrance is sommeliers trying to fill La Reserve vacancies (and Wine Tastings) even the day of the event.  We reserve on board, or at least after we have made our specialty restaurant reservations. Never had a problem. You may meet new friends that you want to share the experience with.

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

Oceania Guest statement - page 2 - lists the penalties for cancellation.

La Reserve and Oceania Excursions can be cancelled for full refund up to 36 hours before the event.

We have a 26 day cruise booked and there are 22 days with La Reserve dates possible. My remembrance is sommeliers trying to fill La Reserve vacancies (and Wine Tastings) even the day of the event.  We reserve on board, or at least after we have made our specialty restaurant reservations. Never had a problem. You may meet new friends that you want to share the experience with.

Good to know.

I'm holding off on  La Reserve  reservations till FP (and specialty dining deadline).

Excursions and cooking classes for sea days are a go now!