QUESTIONS BEFORE BOOKING MARDI GRAS

axelskater

I am considering sailing on the Mardi Gras in April and have a few questions on dining and entertainment 

Is "YTD" meaning dine when you like if there is a slot available? I was thinking of just booking the assigned dining but paying for a few of the other restaurants such as the steakhouse or other alternative venues. Is this how it is done if you would like an assigned table but will eat dinner in a few of the other restaurants? 

The website is not very clear and when I called Carnival there was not a clear answer on dining. Perhaps because it is a new ship. 

I know the ship just started sailing but I was also looking at some vlogs and websites regarding entertainment venues. It seems like there is a New Orleans jazz band as well as a Latin band (perhaps with some Latin dancing?) but are there other non-disco alternatives on the ship or on this class of Carnival ship in general? I saw a piano bar which is promising but was wondering about any other styles of music...Is there a movie theater by chance? I saw a few theatres but they are perhaps for live shows. Thanks for any help or input. I may just book as the deposit is not very high right now!

As for dining, we book an assigned time if we are going to mostly eat in the dining room.  If we are going to a specialty restaurant, we give our servers the heads up the night prior so they know not to wait for us.  If we are only dining in specialty restaurants, we pick your time dining.  

I haven’t been on the Mardi Gras, but was recently on the Horizon. There was music everywhere, including a rock band, a trio of electric violets, two piano players, a Latin band.  Since the Mardi Gras is substantially larger than the Horizon, I am sure there will be even more options.  

The Mardi Gras is a game changer for Carnival, with the roller coaster, a new suite area, new restaurants.  I would go for it, and have two cruises on it already booked. 

10 hours ago, axelskater said:

Is "YTD" meaning dine when you like if there is a slot available? I was thinking of just booking the assigned dining but paying for a few of the other restaurants such as the steakhouse or other alternative venues. Is this how it is done if you would like an assigned table but will eat dinner in a few of the other restaurants? 

In my most humble opinion, if I were going to do the majority of my meals in the specialty food venues I'd chose YTD.  That way you're not tied down to a specified time on the few occasions you decide to eat in the dining room, plus you won't be tying up a table that will rarely be used.

• Like 1