Douro - any small operators?

We'd like to explore along the Douro River and wonder if any of you could recommend any small operators, or small (<50 pax) vessels?  We seem to be on a trend,  sailing on smaller ships as time goes by; so far, we've found only advantages and haven't missed whatever is lacking! 

We rented a car and spent five days exploring the valley, staying in small B&B's and vineyards.

While in Porto for a few days beforehand we saw some day trips and some recognizable European river tour boats.  We did not see any offerings for a local Porto-Porto Douro river cruise over several days.  This may have changed.  Or perhaps we did not look hard enough because we had decided  on a car rental. 

We enjoyed the Douro Valley so much that we intend to return for a longer trip.

If you decide to rent, we found it cost advantageous to cab it out the airport and pick up rental there.  We dropped the car there and flew to Rome to pick up a last minute Med cruise.

Edited by iancal

On 8/18/2021 at 3:31 PM, kaymoz said:

Iancal, do you mean that you concluded this area is better seen by car than by boat?

We did not take a boat so I cannot say that.  We enjoyed the freedom of driving in the Valley for five days.  It may well be different for one day.  There was one tour boat but it was not operating when we were there.  I believe that it had been previously owned by the British Royal family. 

I do feel that by renting a car you would get to the more scenic areas a little faster, have more time to potentially stop at some smaller vineyards, etc.

The town was fine, worth perhaps a few hours at most.   The port wine places are on the opposite side and there are tours.   They did not interest us.

• 3 weeks later...

iancal, we are hoping to spend three days in Porto and three days in the Douro Valley next month post-cruise (if it goes).  I'd appreciate knowing where you stayed in the Douro Valley assuming you were pleased with your choice.  Also, did you visit Guimares?  It seems lovely but a bit out of the way

We did not go to Guimares.  But we want to.

We had no idea of what the Douro Valley was like.  We were on our way to a last minute cruise and needed a one way flight.  We got an inexpensive flight from Canada to Porto.  Then LC TAP flight to Rome.  We decided to spend a week in the Porto area, sight unseen.  Why not? Since we had to stop.

The area is high on our list to return. We could easily do two or three weeks by car in this area and in Northern Spain, Southern France.

I am not sure I kept the names of where we stayed.  I will did about.  The very best was a family run place in a vineyard, farm.  We had so much fun with the other 8 or so guests at this big table. They were from around the world...Italy, US, UK, Aus, etc.   It was booked privately through an email address posted on tripadviser.  These often turn out to be the very best places.  If I find it I will post.

We found it much easier to rent a car at the airport.  Spent 1 1/2 days in Porto, took a cab back to the airport to pick up a car.  Returned five days later at night, stayed at an airport hotel, and flew to Rome early the next morning.  Perfect!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1