Solo Cruising?

chiefofsages

Even though I haven't responded, I HAVE been reading everyone's responses, and appreciate that none of you made comments along the line of "suck it up". 🙂

I actually went on a cruise a few weeks ago, and though not "solo", it was just one friend, and we had our own cabins.  While we spent a lot of time together, we also spent a lot of time apart.  The two of us were forced to make friends with a lot of new people since it was only the two of us (versus four of us last time).  We ended up making such good friends with people, we've already booked another cruise with one of them!  

So, while I may not be "thrilled" to go on my own, I am definitely willing to, since I had to spend a lot of time on my own this last one and still had an amazing time. 🙂  Would likely limit to two ports not far from me, but now that I know I am capable of making friends on board, I'm not so worried about it. 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, chiefofsages said:

Even though I haven't responded, I HAVE been reading everyone's responses, and appreciate that none of you made comments along the line of "suck it up". 🙂

I actually went on a cruise a few weeks ago, and though not "solo", it was just one friend, and we had our own cabins.  While we spent a lot of time together, we also spent a lot of time apart.  The two of us were forced to make friends with a lot of new people since it was only the two of us (versus four of us last time).  We ended up making such good friends with people, we've already booked another cruise with one of them!  

So, while I may not be "thrilled" to go on my own, I am definitely willing to, since I had to spend a lot of time on my own this last one and still had an amazing time. 🙂  Would likely limit to two ports not far from me, but now that I know I am capable of making friends on board, I'm not so worried about it. 

That's awesome.. you stuck your toes in the water and ended up going in all the way...  now that you know what to expect you'll feel even more relaxed going on your next cruise :}

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, chiefofsages said:

Anyone do solo traveling with either of the above issues?  (Lack of travel companions and/or social awkwardness?)  Any success/advice?

I'm glad that you had a chance to go on your semi-solo cruise.

I just did a solo cruise on the Carnival Breeze from December 6th-12th. There are some really good bargains out there right now, and I snagged a balcony cabin for less than half of what I paid to share a balcony cabin 3 years ago. I really enjoyed being able to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Chit chatting with people that I don't know during a meal makes me uncomfortable, but Carnival was very accommodating when I told them that I wanted to be seated by myself. For people who are a little more sociable, they can opt to be seated with other people or hang out on the Lido deck.

Edited by HarborHermit

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in taking a Mediterranean cruise solo this summer; but I do have concerns if I would get COVID ;and working through the complexity of dealing with it on my own. I guess I will have to weigh the pros and cons. I don’t cruise until June and will have a cancel

fot any reason policy. Has this thought crossed your mind if you have traveled solo recently?

• Like 1