Solo Cruising?

chiefofsages

I realize that I am probably the only one who can answer this, but I figured I could lay out all my cards and see if people could give advice.  I am hooked on cruising, even though I've only actually been on one.  I have scheduled four cruises, but three of them got cancelled due to Covid.  Here's hoping the one in October isn't also going to get canceled. 😞  I loved the cruise because everything was paid for, planned out, and I didn't have to think about doing anything.  

I do apologize in advance- I can never say anything succinctly.

My problem is finding people to go on cruises with.  My financial situation is a bit unique amongst my circle of friends.  While I am a workaholic, it gives me a comfortable amount of disposable income- i.e. enough to go on a cruise once a year without worrying about being able to pay bills.  My friends and family are not in the same situation- they would have to save up for quite some time to go.  Going out to dinner isn't a big swing, but saving $1,500-$2,000 is a bit more of a stretch, and I get it.  Maybe there are cheaper lines to go with and I should explore more. 

Another problem is suitable travel companions.  While I love most of my friends very deeply, they are also the kind of friends that one might not want to spend an entire week at sea with.  There is only one I could picture traveling with that has the financial means, but she doesn't have any interest in a cruise.  The friend I have traveled with is great to get away with, but she certainly can't afford a cruise every year and has said our next one will probably be our last together.  My siblings are all married with children, and two of the three are teachers that don't really have flexible time off like I do.  And while I like my coworkers, we try to keep a level of professional distance due to the fact that I'm in a supervisor role.  I'm a single 30-year-old guy who is unlikely to find a partner in the near future due to... well, nothing bad but nothing I need to get into here.  

So while this may make solo cruises sound absolutely perfect for me, I am also very shy and very cautious.  I would be nervous to travel on my own.  When I was in Bermuda, I never even went past the port (excluding boating excursions).  I even went to a few meet-and-greet events on board, but usually wound up staying in my own little corner because I don't do well mingling with strangers.  I have a hard time inserting myself into groups and conversations, always feeling like I'm butting in.

Anyone do solo traveling with either of the above issues?  (Lack of travel companions and/or social awkwardness?)  Any success/advice?

• Like 2

Hi Chief,

I am quite introverted.  I don't usually speak until spoken to.

I can only relate my experience but I love solo cruising.  I really enjoyed NCL because they have a solo host/hostess and they are usually very good at getting people chatting and they also arrange trips to events and shows together besides the nightly solo diners.

I even met someone at the solo functions who became my cruise buddy.  So now my costs are lower and I have someone to share the adventure.

Hi, to the OP, you said something in your very first sentence----you are the only person who can really answer your question.  But we solo cruisers can encourage others (if they want the encouragement).

I have been sailing solo since 2003.......18 years.  I don't have anyone to travel with but that is ok with me.......I have always been a loner (basically) but I am not not shy at all and it is very easy for me to meet other people. 

I can only suggest you "try" to step outside of your comfort zone.........I would say most cruisers are quite friendly.  Try a trivia session, it is easy and there are teams........most times it is quite easy to participate.  

I am quite a bit older than you so maybe time has given me a different perspective.  But if you really enjoy cruising, I say go for it and maybe you will realize how much going on your own can be fun👍

Doing what you want, or if you don't want to do anything? That is cool too.......find a lounger, relax, read a book...........its all good.

I am sailing solo to Alaska next week..........cannot wait😃.........but like you said, only you can know if you want to try something new and see what cruising life can be like as a solo.

• Like 3

I am a shy introvert. And yet, I love cruising and think it can be a great vacation choice for an introvert traveling alone.

It depends on your flavor of introversion, of course. I like to be near crowds but not among them - you'll find me lurking around the edges, close enough to watch & enjoy but distant enough to slip away quietly.

I just got off NCL Encore this morning and definitely recommend that you take a look at this line. Unlike the other mainstream lines (I cannot speak to the luxury ones), NCL allocates a staff member on every sailing to act as the solo cruiser host. That host leads daily gatherings (conveniently before dinner time) and sets up group reservations at dining and entertainment venues. You don't have to participate but all solos are welcome if and when they choose to join in.

Other cruise lines do offer solo gatherings but not necessarily with the same frequency or with a dedicated staff host. Gregarious solos do fine with meeting lots of new friends without any such assistance, while quiet types like me are often content to drift around alone. I'm sailing on Princess in 3 weeks and anticipate getting a whole lot of reading done in lieu of socializing!

I recommend booking excursions when visiting ports and signing up for activities such as beer tastings onboard. It's easier (for me, anyway) to strike up a cheerful chat with others during a shared activity - which becomes the natural topic of conversation - than in some "let's mingle and talk!" gathering. So awkward...

• Like 4

Coastcat, I am sailing out of your fair city on Thursday😃...flying in on Wednesday.  So looking forward to it.😃Haven't  visited Seattle in quite a few years.

• Like 1

chiefofsages:

Keep in mind that shyness is not something you're born with and can't do anything about, like having blue eyes or brown eyes. It's learned behavior. And like all learned behavior it's probably been reinforced over time by habit. But that doesn't mean you can't change it, or at least push your boundaries. 

If you're on a cruise ship, I suggest you spend more time approaching crew members rather than other guests. They're almost guaranteed to be more interesting than the guests They're usually from places you've never been to (but might like to know about). They've learned to speak good English, which is not an easy thing to do and which is an indication of their intelligence and ambition. They're typically busy, but they want to project a friendly and welcoming attitude to the guests, so they often have time for a quick conversation. And they're usually homesick to a degree, so if you ask them even the simplest question about their country ("What was it like growing up in Bali?"), they love it.

I've gotten close to quite a number of crew members over the years, and I still have an e-mail friendship with a Serbian bartender I met on the Oceania Riviera five years ago. She keeps urging me to visit her country, and I just might do it once things have truly opened up.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's easy to change habits, but it can be done. The key is to take baby steps and not be afraid of falling. Most importantly, relax and have fun---you're on a cruise!

Jim

• Like 2

I am like you and work a lot of hours. I find cruises are exactly what I need because of so much to do without any planning and being able to do as little as I want or as much as I want.  The advice I would give you is take a east bound transatlantic cruise on one of the NCL ships with Solo Cabins.  Book one of the solo cabins even if you can afford a balcony.  These ships have a Solo Lounge and a Solo Cruise Director.  If you hang out in the solo lounge in the morning and/or evenings there will be other solo people there.  You will have people like me that will talk to anyone and everyone.  You will be able to sit and listen until you are comfortable to join in.  The Solo Cruise Director will setup solo get to gathers and arrange dinner tables where the solo group can eat together.  You will be able to be alone, be with other people of your choosing, or be with couples you meet on the Cruise Critic Boards.  By the time you reach Europe to do excursions you will most likely have new friends that you can do things off the ship with.  The last part of advice would be to be active on the Cruise Critic Board for your cruise.  This is the other reason I recommend a transatlantic cruise.  The message boards for the longer cruises with lots of sea days are very active and allows you to meet people before you get on the ship.

The last thing:  You are solo so do what you want....

• Like 4

On 8/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, chiefofsages said:

I realize that I am probably the only one who can answer this, but I figured I could lay out all my cards and see if people could give advice.  I am hooked on cruising, even though I've only actually been on one.  I have scheduled four cruises, but three of them got cancelled due to Covid.  Here's hoping the one in October isn't also going to get canceled. 😞  I loved the cruise because everything was paid for, planned out, and I didn't have to think about doing anything.  

My problem is finding people to go on cruises with.  My financial situation is a bit unique amongst my circle of friends.  While I am a workaholic, it gives me a comfortable amount of disposable income- i.e. enough to go on a cruise once a year without worrying about being able to pay bills.  My friends and family are not in the same situation- they would have to save up for quite some time to go.  Going out to dinner isn't a big swing, but saving $1,500-$2,000 is a bit more of a stretch, and I get it.  Maybe there are cheaper lines to go with and I should explore more. 

Another problem is suitable travel companions.  While I love most of my friends very deeply, they are also the kind of friends that one might not want to spend an entire week at sea with.  There is only one I could picture traveling with that has the financial means, but she doesn't have any interest in a cruise.  The friend I have traveled with is great to get away with, but she certainly can't afford a cruise every year and has said our next one will probably be our last together.  My siblings are all married with children, and two of the three are teachers that don't really have flexible time off like I do.  And while I like my coworkers, we try to keep a level of professional distance due to the fact that I'm in a supervisor role.  I'm a single 30-year-old guy who is unlikely to find a partner in the near future due to... well, nothing bad but nothing I need to get into here.  

So while this may make solo cruises sound absolutely perfect for me, I am also very shy and very cautious.  I would be nervous to travel on my own.  When I was in Bermuda, I never even went past the port (excluding boating excursions).  I even went to a few meet-and-greet events on board, but usually wound up staying in my own little corner because I don't do well mingling with strangers.  I have a hard time inserting myself into groups and conversations, always feeling like I'm butting in.

Anyone do solo traveling with either of the above issues?  (Lack of travel companions and/or social awkwardness?)  Any success/advice?

I can relate to much of this. The situations are a little different mostly because of age (50), but still so much in common. My friends are mostly married or have children so can't travel with me. Recently divorced so not looking to get into a relationship any time soon. And I do my first solo cruise in October. Can't wait.

One major difference is that I love to explore on my own. Turn me loose in a European city and I'm happy. I've been to Nassau a few times and am probably only going to do a 6 to 8 mile run for that port. You should stick to the shore excursions through the cruise lines. They are almost always safe, well organized, and you will be surrounded by people. You may or may not actually get to know people, but you won't be alone.

I definitely feel your pain about not doing well mingling with strangers. I hate feeling like I'm intruding on someone's private conversation. Walking up and talking to random people at a gathering is darn near impossible for me. I do just fine if I'm seated at a table with a group of strangers so I'm hoping that solo cruisers aren't forced to dine alone. My favorite part of cruising is the piano bar which is a great place to sit next to strangers and get to know people. Much more natural than awkward meet and greets. Search the daily activities and see if you can identify anything that is conducive to social interactions.  

I'll double up on the great advice you got earlier and suggest getting to know the staff if at all possible. If they have time, most of them love talking about their home countries. Bar tenders, when things are slow, seem to love sharing their stories. They spend hours listening to other people talk about themselves and who treat them like servants. Show interest in them and who they are as a person and it can get you further than a large tip ever can. 

I'm not sure how masking and social distancing will impact socializing while solo, but worst case I'll get some sun, good food, plenty of drinks, and quality time with my kindle.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

One really easy way to meet people on a cruise is to meet them online BEFORE the cruise at the Roll Call forums here on Cruise Critic.  

You can chat them up in advance, make plans to participate in cabin crawls or slot pulls, sailaway get-togethers, excursions, etc.  

I've made friends on Roll Calls that I'm still friends with almost a decade later, and I've gone to their weddings (also cruises) later on.  I've also seen some amazing (read: expensive) suites on cabin crawls that I'd never see otherwise, and gotten together with groups for private excursions that would have been cost-prohibitive without others to share the expense with.  

I've also met people on cruises that I've become good friends with cruised with several more times... people who I wouldn't normally meet under any other circumstances (very different demographic).  Nice thing about meeting people on a cruise is that you automatically have something in common -- a love of cruising!  

• Like 4

30 yr old guy here and also introvert. My next three cruises are all solo sailing, which may be a challenge as there arn't many solo activities on the cruises right now. I'm all for meeting new people on my trips, it's just finding them in the first place. 

I get a bit nervous going to new places as well sometimes. Going on the ship's excursion helps a bit.

41 year-old here, who has identified as an introvert in the past (never go to bars or clubbing).  I'm WAY different on a cruise.  Yes I have traveled alone, once, on NCL.  @Traveling Mike (I'm also a Mike) had it spot on with NCL's Studio concept, I really enjoyed it when I made full use of it.  I even met a group of people on the first night that I ended up dining with for 3 nights of the cruise.

In addition to that - I spent part of a morning sitting in the Observation Lounge (on NCL's Bliss) with the full intent of doing some reading.  I ended up peeking out the window a few times and caught glimpse of a whale (we were sailing up the California coast, not in Alaska).  As I pointed it out, I ended up in a conversation with some others nearby.

@brillohead also has a great idea.  I conversed with several folks on the roll call in the month leading up to the cruise.  I joined the meet & greet as well.  In the final 2 weeks before the trip someone had the BRILLIANT idea of a 'solo cruisers embarkation lunch'.  This 100% broke the ice, and I ended up with several people from both events that I could see around the ship, address by name and have a conversation about the trip.  I even walked up the Embarcadero with one to the aquarium at Fisherman's Wharf.

• Like 2

Im new to Solo cruising.   I have been on 6 cruises in the past, but with my spouse.   My spouse is no longer around but I still want to cruise.   Unfortunately, I am in a similiar boat.   I am retired but I am only 56 so alot of my friends are still working so while I have lots to time to travel, my friends are restricted to how much time they have.   I’m too old for the party life and like the more relaxed atmosphere on a HAL cruise.   I have only been on MSC or HAL but HAL seems to have less children. If there is a waterslide on the ship, there is no way I’d be on it as to me waterslide = tons of children.   MSC wasn’t bad as I was always in the Yacht Club and a few years ago, there wasn’t many children.  But once they came out with kids sail free, more and more children were also in the Yacht Club.   

One other issue is that I don’t want to share a cabin so if anyone wants to come with me, they need to book their own cabin which kinda turns them off considering the cost of a cabin with only one person.   

I am currently booked for a B2B in December on the Eurodam.   The Roll Calls for both have been very quiet.   As these will be my first solo cruise (well, cruises since it’s back to back), I am a bit concerned given it there doesn’t seem to be much chatter with other passengers.  Also with COVID protocols, I may end up spending the 17 days pretty much to myself.   I have walked twice across the top of Spain by myself so I can’t imagine it being too bad.     For the first 10 day cruise, I am in the Pinnacle Suite which really is a bit much for one person but I love it.   The second 7 day cruise, the PS was already taken so I am in a Neptune Suite but on a waiting list in case the passengers on the second cruise cancel.   I hope to meet others to hang with but if not, I guess I can just spend the entire 10 days in the jacuzzi tub on my balcony.    

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

I am currently booked for a B2B in December on the Eurodam.   The Roll Calls for both have been very quiet.   As these will be my first solo cruise (well, cruises since it’s back to back), I am a bit concerned given it there doesn’t seem to be much chatter with other passengers.

Given the (white-haired) demographic on HAL, I wouldn't be surprised if there just isn't as much interest in cruising until the perception of the pandemic changes.  While cruising itself is safer than pretty much anything else you can do outside your own home these days, flying elbow-to-elbow to get to the cruise port is likely putting off a lot of people in that age group.

As for children, I'd like to point out that cruising during the school year (and not on holiday/spring breaks) significantly reduces the number of kids on a sailing.  And even on a ship with a water slide, as long as you avoid the slide area and the kiddie-pool area, the other sections of the ship are pretty child-free (at least on the various Royal Caribbean ships I've been on). Between the kiddie program, the kiddie pool, and the waterslides, the kids are pretty easy to avoid (especially if you choose late-seating for dinner).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Given the (white-haired) demographic on HAL, I wouldn't be surprised if there just isn't as much interest in cruising until the perception of the pandemic changes.  While cruising itself is safer than pretty much anything else you can do outside your own home these days, flying elbow-to-elbow to get to the cruise port is likely putting off a lot of people in that age group.

As for children, I'd like to point out that cruising during the school year (and not on holiday/spring breaks) significantly reduces the number of kids on a sailing.  And even on a ship with a water slide, as long as you avoid the slide area and the kiddie-pool area, the other sections of the ship are pretty child-free (at least on the various Royal Caribbean ships I've been on). Between the kiddie program, the kiddie pool, and the waterslides, the kids are pretty easy to avoid (especially if you choose late-seating for dinner).  

I usually only travel when school is in.   This will be my first cruise since moving back to Canada after living nine years in Europe.   School breaks are not the same in Europe as they are here.

Don’t underestimate those “white hairs”, I’ve seen a few of them that can give me a run for my money. 😅

• Like 1

I can't get my DH to leave his 95-year-old mother for another cruise. So as long as she is alive, I'll be going solo. I've taken four solo cruises so far.

It's strange that I am usually introverted but don't have a problem talking to people on ships. On my Alaskan cruise last month (Majestic Princess), I made friends by going to the LGBT meetings and trivias. At breakfasts and lunches in the dining room, I asked to share a table. At dinner, though, I ended up eating by myself more often than not because no one else was requesting to share tables because I went late. I probably could have shared a table if I had gone a lot earlier. I did go with new friends two nights and went to a wine maker's dinner a third.

Great suggestions by all.

@Chiefofsages your explanations are why I started cruising solo many years ago. I couldn't find anyone to cruise with me, not enough vacation days, not enough money, limited vacation days, just not into cruising, blah, blah, blah. One of my good friends cancelled at the last minute and I went anyways. BEST DECISION I MADE!! I was addicted to solo cruising after that. I HAD A BLAST!! And my own cabin to boot. So then I just started booking cruises solo and never looked back. I always check out the roll call before I book to see if its much activity. Before Covid this was great but since covid all three of my roll calls are not very active. I think it's because not many people are cruising right now. 

Since then I've gotten married and my husband enjoys cruising but he is not addicted. Hence next month my 1st solo cruise in 5 years. I'm so looking forward to it. 

Get involved in your roll call. Try and find an active roll call and book that cruise. I've did that on a couple of cruises. Kind of working backwards. LOL!! Usually there is an alpha male/female planning everything just jump in and tell them to add you to the cabin crawl, slot pull, etc. My DH is an introvert. Hi analyzes everything to death and then decides to do it or not. So go ahead and analyze everything and talk yourself into getting active on the roll call. Practice saying Hi my name is Chief. Crazy cruise critic addicts will pull you into their conversations. We love people and sharing our experiences. 

Happy cruising. YOU CAN DO IT!!

• Like 5

Hi Cheif, 

I am a bit on the introverted side as well, and I agree it can be very daunting getting on a ship alone while everyone around you is happily chatting away with their companions. It used to make me a uncomfortable until I read a quote that made me stop and think about things. The quote was "its none of my business what anyone thinks of me" For some reason it just rang true to me and made things easier for me.  Now when I cruise as a solo, I don't worry about what someone 'sees' when they look at me alone, I think about how all those groups or couples have to accommodate each other, or deal with bad moods, or not wanting to do the same things, while I get to do or not do anything I choose, anytime I want. 

As far as talking to strangers. Sometimes i'll approach people if they are doing something i'm interested in and ask a question or two. If they aren't receptive I just thank them and move along. If they are, I'll stay and chat a bit. No harm no foul. 

I'd say, go on as many cruises as you'd like and don't worry what someone else says about it. You need to like your own company before you can be good company for someone else. That's how I feel. 

• Like 6

I am around the same age as you.  I was once invited on a 7 day cruise with my two male friends in my early 20s. I like my own space, so I got my own room and paid double occupancy.  On the cruise in St Thomas they couldn't decide what they wanted to do and asked me what I wanted to do, but when I said what I wanted to do, they said no.... Then I was like okay I am going to go do it by myself then... Totally out of character for me, but so glad I made that decision in that moment. I was terrified,  but it changed my life. It made me realize I can do things on my own. Since then I have been on tons of solo cruises.  When I want someone to join me I will pay for their cruise, taxes, and gratuities. It is really hard for someone to go with me because I go on long cruises. I am introverted and don't socially interact with people unless someone talks to me first. I would never attend any sort of meet up.  I can't give any social advice, since I haven't done anything to change myself, and I'm perfectly content being introverted. My only advice is to maybe try to venture out and try non ship excursions or exploring on your own, do the research prior to make yourself more knowledgeable and comfortable.

• Like 2

I was married for 20 years and got hooked on cruises then.  I juggled finding friends to go with, found a couple of women I did not know to go with (all of which were fine) until I had a horrible disaster of a room mate on my longest cruise, and she roomed with me for a week precruise as well!  I went on a cruise after that-my first cruise alone-dreading it-AND I HAD THE BEST TIME EVER!  I met a Canadian couple and we just clicked!  We spent so much time together during that 2 weeks that they invited me to visit them in Vancouver.  So I agreed to go visit for 2 weeks.  We went to Alaska on a one week cruise, and they took me sight seeing.  We became even better friends, and I took some even longer trips with them!

I have gone on so many trips alone  since then-both cruises and land trips, and combining the two with stays before and /or after!  I 've been sailing on Holland America and I never have trouble meeting people.  I ask for a table of 6 or 8 at dinner.  I usually arrange a private shore excursion, and meet people that way.  I am happy on the ship just lying by the pool and reading, and going to hear classical music, and watching the stars at night.  I've been venturing to all sorts of parts of the world, and I recently got certified to scuba dive! 

If you can bring yourself to just comment to the person near you about something-maybe the book they are reading, or if you think their shirt is attractive, you can get a conversation going.  It may be easier to meet people if you sit at the same table for dinner, and people may ask you to go to the show with you. I started my marriage out as the shyest person in the world, and I am not that person any more at all!  HAL usually has single traveler get togethers every cruise, and sometimes a few luncheons.  I think it is easier to meet people if you go on a two week cruise if you can swing it, and go to activities.  Going to a trivia contest forces you to meet people!

• Like 1

Lots of good advice here.  I hope the chief took it to heart.  The only thing I have to add is  that not all solo cruisers think alike or want the same things out of their cruises.  For example, I've never cruised on NCL (though I've tried a few times), never had a solo host, think fixed dining at big tables is horrible, and spend as little time as possible talking to other cruisers or the crew.  I hope this doesn't make me an awful person, 😈 but frankly I don't care.  To me, solo cruising (and vacations and life in general to some degree) are about doing WHAT I want WHEN I want without having to apologize to ANYONE for ANYTHING.  The sooner people learn that, IMHO, the more enjoyment they will have.

• Like 7

On 8/14/2021 at 11:59 AM, chiefofsages said:

I can totally sympathize with you.  I am in the exact same situation.  I make a much better living than my family and friends and the few friends who make decent money, have no interest in cruising or pretty much anything remotely fun. Or they are married with school age kids, which wouldn't mesh with my cruising activities.  To add to my dilemma, I have had social anxiety since my teenage years, so spending a week or longer in a cabin with someone, even a girlfriend, makes me anxious.  When my daughter was a teenager, I took her on 2 cruises and it was great.  I even took a girl I was dating, and her 4 (yes, I said 4) kids on a cruise (2 cabins).  But that was after dating for almost 3 years.  When you start asking "if there are any other "solo" or "single: cruisers going on a cruise, it can look like a desperate attempt to hook up when that is normally not true at all.  

So you are not the only one in this predicament.  I really don't have a problem cruising by myself.  I've met some really wonderful people and had some good times.  I would recommend eating in the Main Dining Room at a scheduled dining time, at least the first 2 or 3 nights and see if you connect with anyone else at the table.  I've done that every cruise and always end up finding someone to hang out with and even go ashore with.  I can't speak for any other cruise line except Carnival, but I've cruised solo twice and both times, I have been seated with other singles (and one awesome older couple) and we had a great time.  I'm sure they do that on purpose. 

The only thing that I really get nervous about is going ashore. It's never really a great idea to wander around alone in a foreign country, but I have travelled a lot extensively for work and military so I am somewhat used to it. Still, it would be a more secure feeling to be with at least one other person, especially when you don't book the ships shore excursions, which I usually do not.  There are a lot of other great things to do at most of these ports and they usually cost much less. Many of those ideas I've found here on CC.  But I do worry about somehow not making it back to the ship in time. 

Anyways, I am rambling now.  But hopefully I have put your mind at east a little bit.  There are more of you out there than you think! 

Good Luck, 

Carl D. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 11:59 AM, chiefofsages said:

I am hooked on cruising, even though I've only actually been on one. 

My problem is finding people to go on cruises with.  My financial situation is a bit unique amongst my circle of friends.  While I am a workaholic, it gives me a comfortable amount of disposable income

On 8/17/2021 at 2:15 PM, Brew12 said:

I can relate to much of this.

I too can relate to almost everything in OPs post. Going on my first solo cruise in December and I'm excited but nervous as I have the same introversion and concerns being around large groups. 

• Like 2

Glad I’m not the only one in this “boat”. I have my first solo cruise in less than 2 weeks and I scheduled a second for Thanksgiving. Not sure if I will enjoy it or be miserable but I think it’s what you make of it!

• Like 3