First Time on QM2

Camillus112

My DH and I are considering a QM2 Transatlantic Return Trip NY-SH in 2022, and we would choose the Queens Grill accommodation.  Some questions:

1.  Are drinks all inclusive, or would we have to choose a drinks package?

2.  We enjoy using the pool.  Is it in good condition?  Is it heated?  

3.  We have read we could take our small dog...is this still permitted?

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm sure I will have more questions...

1. Since you are from the US and considering a Queens Grill suite, you will probably have the "Grill Suite Promotion" applied to your booking. That long-standing US promotion includes drinks priced up to $12 for those booking Grill suites under the US booking terms and conditions. You would want to confirm that promotion applies at the time you make your booking. Queens Grill suites also come with a complimentary bar stocked with two bottles of wine or spirits of your choice and soft drinks as a standard amenity.

2. There are two main adult swimming pools on QM2, the enclosed Pavilion Pool on deck 12 and the outdoor Terrace Pool on deck 8. Both are heated. Both appeared to be in good condition the last time I was on board in November 2019, but I can't say I've actually used the Terrace Pool for quite a few years.

3. A dog is permitted on QM2 transatlantic crossings if you reserve space for it in the kennels. Trained service animals (not emotional support animals) are also permitted. You would need to make advance arrangements with Cunard in either case before you would be able to bring your dog with you. I understand kennel space usually books up very quickly so that may no longer be available for a 2022 crossing.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 4

Thank you both for your response!  Great to know we would be enjoying the swimming pools!   We understand about the dogs in the kennel...as it should be. Even we would be bothered by dogs around the passenger areas.  Now to decide which TA to book!!!!

• Like 1

Can't help thinking that your dog might be happier in a proper kennel with dog runs etc..

We've never taken pests/pets on holiday.

On QM2, I have seen a passenger with a dog wearing a "Service Dog" coat that jumped up on the seats beside the owner all the time. Utter nonsense and should not be allowed. No problem with guide dogs or real service dogs.

On 8/22/2021 at 12:59 PM, BigMac1953 said:

Can't help thinking that your dog might be happier in a proper kennel with dog runs etc..

We've never taken pests/pets on holiday.

On QM2, I have seen a passenger with a dog wearing a "Service Dog" coat that jumped up on the seats beside the owner all the time. Utter nonsense and should not be allowed. No problem with guide dogs or real service dogs.

Our dog is an 8 pound Morkey.  Although he may not need a dog run, we would be very unhappy if the kennel does not provide adequate space to play with other dogs and do some exercise.  I understand the kennel provides a space to visit and play with your dog.  Thanks for bringing up the subject, and I will research into the kennel offering.  I totally agree that pets should not infringe upon passenger space and comfort.

18 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Our dog is an 8 pound Morkey.  Although he may not need a dog run, we would be very unhappy if the kennel does not provide adequate space to play with other dogs and do some exercise.  I understand the kennel provides a space to visit and play with your dog.  Thanks for bringing up the subject, and I will research into the kennel offering.  I totally agree that pets should not infringe upon passenger space and comfort.

There are some overviews of the kennels on YouTube. Also, a reservation for the kennels is harder to get than a stateroom, so you must book far in advance.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:58 PM, Camillus112 said:

There is a fair bit on this forum about the kennels, and more on Cruisemaven.  2022 is, I believe, full booked so you would be looking at 2023 for the earliest confirmed booking, or take a chance with the waitlist for a 2022 cruise (although for many they have already stopped adding to the waitlist). You need to sort out the kennel availability first, by telephoning the kennels admin in California, then make your booking, then phone back very quickly to the kennels to reserve your space - as they won't take reservations without a confirmed booking number.

IMHO the Youtube videos, whilst showing you visually the accommodation, don't really tell you much about the experience.  Taking a dog across the Atlantic for a week is a serious commitment and most owners spend eight hours a day in the kennels - you won't be doing much else on the cruise!  Research before you commit.

Edited by IB2

On 8/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, Camillus112 said:

Thanks, IB2.   Your insight is indeed very helpful.   We are seriously considering not taking our dog along.   For a while it was a happy thought... 

It’s not a particularly enjoyable experience for the dog and it also detracts from fully enjoying the cruise for the owner, although there is a certain sense of adventure and camaraderie that comes from spending a week with a small group of people and twenty dogs in a confined space, while the rest of the passengers are wining and dining.  It’s worth it as a way to avoid having the dog in cargo on a flight across the Atlantic, or if the dog would suffer more from separation were you to make the trip without him or her.  But it isn’t a holiday experience for dogs, and owners who subject their dogs to it just to have them with them (particularly if they abandon the dog to be locked up for most of the crossing) are, in my view, being selfish.