Disney Land and Sea Package

ronandannette

We're in the preliminary stages of planning a special trip for our son's 10th birthday (want to do Disney while he's still young enough to be enchanted!). Looking at a 4-day cruise/3-day land package (Disney Wonder/Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge), probably in October.

Has anyone done this package? How did you book it? Did you find any deals from any particular source? This will be an expensive trip for us as we have to factor in airfair from Western Canada. Thus the consideration of "low season". Has anyone gone during this time? Just how bad will the weather be?

The family has cruised several times before (RCI, NCL), so we're aware of what's involved, but any specific thoughts would be much appreciated.

We're in the preliminary stages of planning a special trip for our son's 10th birthday (want to do Disney while he's still young enough to be enchanted!). Looking at a 4-day cruise/3-day land package (Disney Wonder/Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge), probably in October.

Has anyone done this package? How did you book it? Did you find any deals from any particular source? This will be an expensive trip for us as we have to factor in airfair from Western Canada. Thus the consideration of "low season". Has anyone gone during this time? Just how bad will the weather be?

The family has cruised several times before (RCI, NCL), so we're aware of what's involved, but any specific thoughts would be much appreciated.

DH & I just came from the 7 day land and sea! In a word FABULOUS!!! We LOVED it so much. We did not have our kids as they are in college now but our Family loves Disney so much in researching our cruise opted to go for Disney. Now I only booked 12/2005 for 02/2006..so needless to say it was $$$$. We only had a few options left. BUT it was WONDERFUL. We stayed at the AKL (AWESOME) and CAT 5 Stateroom 7556 (deck 7)!! We were midship deck 7 and a wonderful balcony off our stateroom! We booked through DCL and I found out that the sooner you book the better price you will get and also you will be able to make payments. We had to pay the entire trip as we booked so late. Was a last minute thing and we grabbed for it and JUST CANNOT BELIEVE WE DID NOT DO THIS SOONER. While on the Wonder we re-booked for Feb 2007 a 7 day Eastern Caribbean. There are so many activities for the kids, your son will love it. ESP the Pirates IN the Caribbean PARTY!!! Go for it, you will not be disappointed at all.:D

Thanks so much for the reply! I was beginning to wonder if anybody ever would (the other boards seem much more responsive:rolleyes: ). Please, please, if you can, tell me more about the hotel (grounds, facilities and the room it'self). There are so many to choose from, and we're tentatively picking AKL because Mom (me!) has a bit of a thing for giraffes:o . The room you got with the package - did it view the savannah or not? The cabin category you were in (7) - was that a Navigator's Veranda? That's what we've got so far. I'm also curious about that, but it's no biggie because we usually book an inside which has always been fine so I'm sure this one will be extra-fine.

Also, did you take the 3 day or 4 day cruise? I'd like your opinion on the sea day, if possible. I'm sure my boy will be fine whatever, but my husband likes a port-intensive itinerary and usually groans at the prospect of sea days. Was there lots for adults to do? Not too hectic or crowded? I think it is a week (Oct. 26) that most American kids are in school, although it is Canadian Thanksgiving. Not sure if that will make any difference to the passenger load as I imagine those boats are always full...

Again, thanks for writing me, and I'm looking forward to hearing more:)

You're right that Disney ships pretty much are always full, but Disney also is a pro at handling crowds, so no real problem there. I have not done a four-night, but I'd imagine the day at sea there has the same types of activities as on the seven-night: fitness classes, bridge tour, golf chipping tournament, family games, art of enertaining seminars, discover the ship seminars, movies (including any Disney movies that are premiering on land), sports on TV in the lounge, bingo, line dancing lesson, family dance party, family team trivia, ping pong, wine tasting...and that's just a quick rundown of some of the things. On our seven-night, I did not have time to do half the things I would have liked to do. If your husband wants to avoid crowds, he can hang out at the adult pool and hot tubs, which are well enforced as adults-only. Kids pools do get crowded.

Thanks so much for the reply! I was beginning to wonder if anybody ever would (the other boards seem much more responsive:rolleyes: ). Please, please, if you can, tell me more about the hotel (grounds, facilities and the room it'self). There are so many to choose from, and we're tentatively picking AKL because Mom (me!) has a bit of a thing for giraffes:o . The room you got with the package - did it view the savannah or not? The cabin category you were in (7) - was that a Navigator's Veranda? That's what we've got so far. I'm also curious about that, but it's no biggie because we usually book an inside which has always been fine so I'm sure this one will be extra-fine.

Also, did you take the 3 day or 4 day cruise? I'd like your opinion on the sea day, if possible. I'm sure my boy will be fine whatever, but my husband likes a port-intensive itinerary and usually groans at the prospect of sea days. Was there lots for adults to do? Not too hectic or crowded? I think it is a week (Oct. 26) that most American kids are in school, although it is Canadian Thanksgiving. Not sure if that will make any difference to the passenger load as I imagine those boats are always full...

Again, thanks for writing me, and I'm looking forward to hearing more:)

YES, We stayed at the AKL and LOVED IT. :D Upon checking into our room, the CM with our luggage actually went over and opened the "sheer" curtains and there on the Savannah were THREE giraffes..I all but SCREAMED. I was blown away by the whole scene and grabbing my camera and CELL to call my DS (20 y.o.) in college and he was screaming also. CM then gave me a sheet from the table/desk in the room all about all the animals on the Savannah, which has photos and describes them all! (The room has regular dark curtains, they were opened but the sheers were not)!! We spent allot of time on that balcony:p as it was AWESOME!!!

We had room 3310 on KUDO TRAIL (I think it began with a K) and it was super. YES, this was the room with the package and it was so worth it! Only there 4 days (with the 7 day land and sea) 3 days at sea! AKL has a DCL desk right in the Lobby for all your questions prior to leaving on the cruise. The AKL is spectacular, the lobby is beautiful to just simply sit in and look at everything. We did not use the pools but walked by them and they looked awesome. We have eaten before in JIKO (OUTSTANDING) never Boma (but reviews are fabulous) got our cereal and tea every morn at Mara and shopped in their gift shop EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Now as far as the ship goes I believe the Navigator's Veranda does NOT open, with our DCL package we had a balcony. So check that out if you really want the balcony. We LOVED having it, really did NOT spend much out there we were just too busy and next thing you know it was bedtime!

We had the three day cruise (NOT LONG ENOUGH AT ALL)! So we did not have a "day at sea"! But yes, my DH & I, just love tours and learning about other peoples culture and we found it fascinating. But there are a ton of excurions, go on the DCL web site and read everything you can about the excursions before booking them. What we loved about the Disney cruise is there are allot of Adult only features, cafe, pools, lounges and esp their BEACH on Castaway Cay. They have a fabulous Spa at which DH & I got the Couples Massage at the open-air Cabanas at Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay. Sorry about rambling on for so long but truly I cannot find a thing negative about the whole entire experience. And we just LOVED absolutely everything about the whole experience.

ASK AWAY ANY QUESTIONS AT ALL!!!

We did the land sea with AKL and absolutely loved it. We had a savanna room at AKL, but the room we had on the ship had a regular balcony, so I don't know for sure that the navigator's balcony gets you a Savannah on the land part. The balcony in your cabin DOES open, but the area will be much more enclosed than a regular balcony. Some people like that better since it is never too windy to be outside. Here is a great site about DCL. http://www.castawayclub.com/ and here is a link specifically about navigator balconies. http://www.disneycruiser.info/nverand.htm

My wife and I have done 4 late Sept./early Oct. cruises with DCL, over the last 4 years. Best advice, buy the trip insurance. Also understand, your itiniary is subject to change. A 4 day cruise, may evolve into a 6 day cruise, or a three day cruise. Disney tries too aviod bad weather, and I'm sure other lines do also. If something changes, from what you booked, we've found DCL to be very generous with their comps. Book your cruise through Disney, not your air! Start looking at air packages now! Do the three day land part first, and pay for the transfers from Disney World. A Disney owned bus will shuttle you to Port Canaveral. Fun Time, part 2 starts. 65 minute ride to Disneys own terminal. We had a hurricane delay, 7day's to 5 days, were compensated beyound belief, and a 25% off coupon for the following year same week. We exercisised it. There are really no dicounted Disney cruises, just advertised 40% off. It's 40% off on the July 4th, or Dec. 25th. cruise prices. I'm e-mail available, just new to this site. POst me another question, Im All Ears. Metrowon

Archived