Hurricane Nora in Puerto Vallarta

Ine

Last night hurricane Nora arrived in Puerto Vallarta. This time unfortunately with a lot of damage to the old centre of town. Not that much by the wind, but by much of the heavy rain in the rivers. For those familiar with the place, the northern bridge over Rio Cuale is partly collapsed, as also one of the buildings next to it. Restaurant Bonito kitchen and Restaurant Incanto both along rio Cuale are more or less gone. Damage is extreme. 

Traffic in old town will have problems the coming weeks/months. So sad to see the many photos.

bridge.png

On 8/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, Ine said:

Last night hurricane Nora arrived in Puerto Vallarta. This time unfortunately with a lot of damage to the old centre of town.

bridge.png

On 9/2/2021 at 8:10 AM, blue_water said:

So sad to see. My parents had a home in PV for more than 30 years and I know the area well where this flooding happened and it breaks my heart. In all the time we spent in PV you couldn't have encountered more friendly or helpful people. I hope they get help in a hurry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

So sad to see. My parents had a home in PV for more than 30 years and I know the area well where this flooding happened and it breaks my heart. In all the time we spent in PV you couldn't have encountered more friendly or helpful people. I hope they get help in a hurry.

Couldn’t agree more Scott, we had the same experience on our one visit there. We find the same wonderful people and culture in the Riviera Maya, one of the main reasons we always returned and eventually built a home there…

I want to add some info here relevant to cruisers that will be visiting Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) on a cruise in the next few months.  PV took an awful hit from Nora which destroyed an important local bridge, some restaurants, lots of private property, etc.  But none of this damage should have a major impact on cruise visits since the Marina (Port) and many of the most popular tourist areas were not harmed.   It was a very strange storm in that it spared much of what is along the coast but clobbered many things located along (and near) the Rio Cujale.  The damage was mostly caused by lots of rain up river which caused some tremendous and violent damage along the river.  If anyone wants to look at a map this is the river (normally more like a creek) that separates Centro from the Romantic Zone (Old Town).  The cruise port is located about 4 miles distant from the major damage.

Hank

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Some organisations are indeed helping the people that lost their possessions due to the flooding. Many points in town where people can donate food, clothing etc.  

Vallarta foodbank is taking donations to buy items needed. https://vallartafoodbank.com/?fbclid=IwAR0ypPAMc-R09fIIC86x0fENtOB7dmLrQ_oQ5HFa5Wl_oqYdczXKMtm-PCk