Quest Antarctica season 2021/22 cancelled.

JK300

You were fortunate to book Quest for Antarctica in 2003 as scarcity now makes cabins as rare as hen’s teeth. We have booked too and for the Grand Voyage. 

First and foremost, Quest at 450 (when full) passengers is the right size for us, as are Odyssey and Sojourn. Specifically about Antarctica, we were on Quest over the 2017-18 Holiday Cruise for the 23 days and the weather was stupendous, such that we had 4 days in South Georgia, and calm seas throughout. But either way, you sail to those places on a generously appointed luxury ship with incredible space per passenger, and this is most evident on the open decks and the Observation Bar. In particular the forward facing and large Obs Bar and forward large open deck on 6 are favorite places to see what is what, and you do not find such facilities on certain other ships. (Check out the deck plans and compare to see what I am suggesting here.) And as Quest is not a true expedition ship, it tends to have a more mixed passenger group, more traditional in style alongside the more fervent explorers. Of course it has a large stable of lecturer/recreation guiding venture experts. Everyone who wants to go ashore in the zodiacs can do so once a day (and sometimes twice as demand drops as the cruise  progresses), admittedly maybe less often than the twice of a small expo ship. 

About the world and what awaits in 2023, well, I expect we will have to exercise that ole common sense while traveling which has served us well so far. For example we were on the 600 passenger Ovation and Silver Moon in July and we chose not to leave the ships in Cyprus due to their Covid rates. Maybe not a big thing really, but we would not forgive ourselves if we brought something back on board and faced all the follow-on consequences.

Happy and healthy sailing!

19 hours ago, markham said:

Specifically about Antarctica, we were on Quest over the 2017-18 Holiday Cruise for the 23 days and the weather was stupendous, such that we had 4 days in South Georgia, and calm seas throughout.

We were on that epic trip. Perhaps we clinked glasses at the NYE party in the observation lounge, cheered simultaneously with every whale breach in front of the ship in the middle of the humpack feeding frenzy, or marveled and mingled with plethora of wildlife in South Georgia. It was all so perfect made possible by the legendary Captain Larson, Ziggy and Brent. We have a reservation on the SS Wind Holiday sailing. I'm still on the fence because I'm not sure it can compare to that trip. It's either that or back to French Polynesia. Coin toss.

18 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I'm still on the fence because I'm not sure it can compare to that trip.

That's the "problem" when you have an outstanding travel experience, isn't it? You want to go back for more, but you don't know if it will disappoint i because it doesn't quit measure up to the original experience.

May we all be fortunate enough to be faced with such problems! 😉 

"It is impossible to step into the same river twice."  I guess one can only hope it will be as refreshing and cool as it was the first time. I've sailed on the Quest several times, loved her and was quite disappointed that the Antarctic cruise I'd booked was canceled again.  My late husband and I had booked it last year and when the same cruise became available this year I had to try again.  I'm going on my first Silversea cruise on the Moon next month and I'm booked on the Silver Wind holiday cruise and looking forward to both.  I know the Wind is an older, smaller ship but it is just being refitted and I'm going to enjoy the places (so many wonderful photos have been posted here on CC in years past).  If the Wind has fewer bells and whistles, that's okay with me.  From what I have read Silversea does a great job taking care of their passengers.

• Like 1

@Sunviking Exactly, on all counts!

The Silversea Moon and the Wind should be different experiences, with the Moon more comparable to the Quest. As you say, the Wind will have fewer bells & whistles, particularly in the way of entertainment, but our one expedition experience on the Wind's sister ship, the Cloud, sold us that we didn't need it for this type of itinerary. With apologies to the hard-working Seabourn signers and dancers, if I can trade them for penguins and icebergs, I'm happy to make that trade (for this particular trip). 😉 

We're on the holiday Wind cruise, so we're just keeping our fingers crossed that there won't be any new roadblocks and we'll be able to go. See you onboard, I hope!

• Like 1

Markham, we’ll look so forward to meeting you on the Quest in 2023! We booked the 45-day  segment, which had plenty of availability only a few months ago.

We didn’t know how to proceed with travel insurance, and ended up foregoing the early purchase for pre-existing coverage. We’ll just purchase medical evacuation at a later date.

1 hour ago, Sunviking said:

"It is impossible to step into the same river twice."  I guess one can only hope it will be as refreshing and cool as it was the first time. I've sailed on the Quest several times, loved her and was quite disappointed that the Antarctic cruise I'd booked was canceled again.  My late husband and I had booked it last year and when the same cruise became available this year I had to try again.  I'm going on my first Silversea cruise on the Moon next month and I'm booked on the Silver Wind holiday cruise and looking forward to both.  I know the Wind is an older, smaller ship but it is just being refitted and I'm going to enjoy the places (so many wonderful photos have been posted here on CC in years past).  If the Wind has fewer bells and whistles, that's okay with me.  From what I have read Silversea does a great job taking care of their passengers.

You will love the Silver Moon!

Very stylish, very modern, great facilities, great food, chatty lovely crew. It was our first Silversea cruise (after many on SB) and I can only say that we will be back!

20 hours ago, Sunviking said:

"It is impossible to step into the same river twice."  

I love this line.  Using a a fly fishing analogy,  we have rested the pool for 4 years, is that enough to step back in?

Agree with you and @Cruiseej the Wind will be great on this trip.  We were on her in Vietnam when she was ahem "very tired", and still had a great time. Our shower would not drain, and it was so hot we needed a fan. Good times. TA has pushed our decision time for the Holiday trip to next week, stay tuned.

On 9/15/2021 at 12:25 PM, OceanPatter said:

Markham, we’ll look so forward to meeting you on the Quest in 2023! We booked the 45-day  segment, which had plenty of availability only a few months ago.

We didn’t know how to proceed with travel insurance, and ended up foregoing the early purchase for pre-existing coverage. We’ll just purchase medical evacuation at a later date.

So have one of you started a thread for any of those segments?  We too held our nose at the price and booked the 46 day '23 cruise on Quest.  I just wish I had known when those itineraries came out so I could have booked at those prices.  Does anyone know when they came our for sale?  I'm curious.  I have had an around the horn cruise booked on Oceania  - Miami-BA which we have rolled forward a few times now, starting in December 2019.  It will sail in late February leaving BA heading to Miami.  It does not stop in S. Georgia or Antarctica, so for that we were booked on the Quest 24 day sailing.  We have not sailed on Seabourn but always heard good things so we very excited last year, then again this year....  So I will run the numbers to check my sanity of reserving on the 46 day Quest in January of '23.  Of course by the time all this blew up we got the leftover last of the littler and have perhaps the dog cabin on 5 of the ship.  Anyone with insight about those V1 cabins, please let me know.  I have a hunch when I do a handy dandy spreadsheet of the Oceania cruise + the 24 day Quest we just "lost", that the total of the 2 may not be so heart stopping as seeing them in one number now on the Quest '23 sailing.  Still, I wish I had known Quest would be back in '23 when the itineraries first came out.  Life!  And yes we are all very blessed and fortunate to even be doing any of these sailings.       

• Like 1