Silver Muse in Australia?

Stickman1990

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

Yes but it seems that P&O haven’t cancelled Sydney and Brisbane departures.

National cabinet will be meeting in November, when I expect they will announce whether the ban will be extended. Problem is, it might be to late to get the ships here by then.

I checked the P&O site and their earliest cruises out of Sydney are not listed until Feb 2022. 

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/the-cancellations-continue-po-cruises-australia-cancel-adelaide-fremantle-and-cairns/

I’m not sure about the remaining options, I was just reading this and I assumed the rest of the cruises were going ahead (at this time…)

I did as well but decided to have a look at what was around from other ports and was surprised (perhaps I shouldn't have been) that the next ones were not until 2022. Maybe P&O announced them earlier.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jillyf said:

A friend just told me their TA has notified them that Silversea has cancelled the Christmas cruise. from Cairns.
I’m not sure if they have cancelled all their cruises too. 

They’re still listed on their website 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

About as reliable as a friend whose TA told them….

Not sure what your comment means but I've now been told that the first three cruises will be formally cancelled in the early part of next week and a decision will be made over the next couple of days whether Muse will come to Australia at all. Take it as you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Not sure what your comment means but I've now been told that the first three cruises will be formally cancelled in the early part of next week and a decision will be made over the next couple of days whether Muse will come to Australia at all. Take it as you like.

Part of me hoped that these cruises would go ahead as ‘test’ cruises and therefore they would hang in there to get the go ahead. I can understand with the first cruise only a month away, that the logistics of getting the ship here and staff quarantined was just to tight, but it does make you wonder just how much work was done and how close they are to getting the go ahead,

When you say the first 3 cruises, i wonder if that was the first 3 full cruises or the segments? Cairns-Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide (21 days) or the full 3 15 day segments finishing in Feb?

2 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

When you say the first 3 cruises, i wonder if that was the first 3 full cruises or the segments? Cairns-Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide (21 days) or the full 3 15 day segments finishing in Feb?

I didn't ask the question but assumed it was the full cruises which would take it to early February, as you say.  I guess will will be revealed shortly.

I just rang Silversea direct.  They told me the first 3 cruises will be cancelled next week, ie ex Cairns/Syd/Mel.  They are still hoping that February cruises onwards will go ahead.

They've been in discussions with Fed Government who just won't budge.  No surprise there, Feds obviously aren't the least concerned about the thousands of people in the cruise industry and all their suppliers etc who are affected by their pig headed and idiotic attitude.  Most of the world has allowed cruising for months.  Which century are we in here.

Very disappointed but not surprised.

2 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

I just rang Silversea direct.  They told me the first 3 cruises will be cancelled next week, ie ex Cairns/Syd/Mel.  They are still hoping that February cruises onwards will go ahead.

They've been in discussions with Fed Government who just won't budge.  No surprise there, Feds obviously aren't the least concerned about the thousands of people in the cruise industry and all their suppliers etc who are affected by their pig headed and idiotic attitude.  Most of the world has allowed cruising for months.  Which century are we in here.

Very disappointed but not surprised.

Which is consistent with my information. It would seem unlikely to me, guessing, that they would do all the work necessary to come here for two cruises. 

Positive comments today

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said on Sunday

“I expect to be able to make a decision on cruise ships in the coming weeks once we’ve got the medical information, but it will require at least one state or territory to partner on that,” he said.

“We’re working with a number of states and territories, we’ll let them make their own considerations. But, we would like to see cruising back on before Christmas.”

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/hunt-flags-cruise-ships-to-return-to-australian-shores-before-christmas-20211114-p598tl.html

Now just what that means for Silverseas plans - who knows?

“I expect to be able to make a decision on cruise ships in the coming weeks ...."

"....But, we would like to see cruising back on before Christmas."

I just wonder if Greg Hunt has any idea of how long it takes to get a ship up and going.  I'd say none, which applies to most ideas associated with his department.  And does he know there are less than six weeks to Christmas?

1 minute ago, cruisingaussies said:

I just wonder if Greg Hunt has any idea of how long it takes to get a ship up and going.  I'd say none, which applies to most ideas associated with his department.  And does he know there are less than six weeks to Christmas?

I suspect there's been discussions with some lines going on behind the scenes so their plans may be further advanced than we know - they may have ships ready to come down (including crew quarantining onboard) - it may not be Silverseas though

I think there's plenty of demand for local cruising to resume - so getting bookings might not be difficult

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I suspect there's been discussions with some lines going on behind the scenes so their plans may be further advanced than we know - they may have ships ready to come down (including crew quarantining onboard) - it may not be Silverseas though

I think there's plenty of demand for local cruising to resume - so getting bookings might not be difficult

You're joking, surely. There are no hidden crews quarantining, not after 2 years of federal shut down.

58 minutes ago, ollyoeno said:

You're joking, surely. There are no hidden crews quarantining, not after 2 years of federal shut down.

No I’m not joking and I didn’t intend to suggest that there were fully crewed ships just sitting waiting to set sail for Australia 

My point is that crew can effectively quarantine while the ship is en route to Australia 

I assume you are aware of what Silversea had landed with Muse sailing here via Asia where she was to pickup crew. My point is that several things could happen concurrently to achieve a sailing before Christmas 

I don’t think Hunt has pulled a possible pre Christmas sailing out of thin air - I suspect a cruise line or CLIA has given him an assurance that if he does his part then they can deliver to that timetable 

• Haha 1