Celebrity Apex unusual fjords itinerary?

island_dj

I'm considering a Norwegian fjords cruise on Celebrity Apex for next August, but the itinerary is a bit odd - it has a couple of stops I'm not familiar with and doesn't have some of the common ports (Bergen, Flam, Geiranger).  I'd love some feedback about whether I'd be missing out on too much to make this worth it - I've never been and likely wouldn't make it back.  Thanks!

Amsterdam

Sea day

Molde

Alesund

Haugesund

Savanger

Sea day

Amsterdam

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with hallasm. If they’re selling this as a “Norwegian fjords” cruise, they’re being disingenuous. The Norwegian coast is beautiful (the Hurtigruten coastal voyage has been a popular trip for a reason), but most of the coastal ports are not deep in the fjords (for obvious logistical reasons).

As a tourist, this could be an interesting trip if you want to explore some of the smaller and less-visited bits of Norway. However, if it is your first time visiting, it skips all of the typical highlights. Not even Bergen (which isn’t a fjord port)!

Edited by kaisatsu

• 1 month later...

Of these 2 itineraries, which would you choose for your first  and probably only Fjord trip to Norway?

Hardargerfjord-Eidfjord-Alesund-Gierangerfjord-Bergan 

OR

Bergan-Alesund-Molde-Olden -SKjolden

How does one know where the cruise ship will port? Is it the same spots for each of them?

Any other advice that I should be aware of?  Thanks for yoyr help. I apologize if I have misspelled any of the port names.

I am conflicted on making such a big choice so far ahead of 2023, but understand the necessity.  I would say my budget is in the moderate to slightly Luxury range.   If I go Lux, then I will need to get cheapest cabin. If I go moderate, I can get a suite.  

Edited by shiner6

Yes, difficult to know the different between fjords and ports and weird spelling!

Hardargerfjord is the fjord into the port Eidfjord. 

Gierangerfjord is the fjord into the port Geiranger. 

Ålesund and Bergen are both coastal cities. 

OR

Bergen, Ålesund, Molde are coastal ports while  Skjolden and Olden are at the end of deep fjords with scenic cruising. 

Not a huge difference between the two itineraries - Bergen and Ålesund are fine DIY ports - Olden and Geiranger have excellent scenic cruising and excellent view points at the ports. 
Bergen and Ålesund are cities while the others are small remote ports. 

For the scenic fjord cruising you must be at upper deck at sunrise -  04:30 am and enjoy the views. Sunset at 11pm (depending on month). 

June is probably the best time with snow in the mountains and water in the rivers and water falls.

• Like 1