Cruise Lines for Tahiti?

suziehmkr

DH & I are making LONG TERM goals for a cruise to Tahiti... very long term... but I need to do some research and see where I need to keep looking and also how much to stash away each month to pay for it. ;)

Are Radisson & Princess the ONLY lines that cruise Tahiti (either from Hawaii or the West Coast)??

DH isn't keen on flying so a flight to Tahiti would be out of the question. BUT, I could get him to Hawaii for a b2b if needed - the RT's from the West Coast are even better.

Radisson is out of our price range and we aren't thrilled with Princess right now. Are there other lines to look at that might do them once in a while like HA, RCCL or Celebrity that just aren't showing up right now?

Radisson and PG are it, within French Polynesia. Other boats stop in Tahiti enroute from Honolulu to New Zealand or Australia - the RSSC Seven Seas Mariner for example, on long expensive cruises. Those are not the same as the 7-10 day cruise of French Polynesia on the Paul Gauguin or the Tahatian Princess - spending time in the lagoons around Bora Bora and Moorea, for example. Those are the wonders of the cruise, and well worth 'suffering' through the flight to take.

The choice between Radisson and Pincess is an apples-oranges comparison. Radisson is much more inclusive, with outstanding service and food, open seating and some sense of luxury. The Tahatian Princess is a former Renaissance ship, beautiful and not too large, but you'll pay for a bottle of water. Either would be cheaper than a cruise from LA with many days at sea to pay for.

Good luck.

The Tahitian Princess does cruise from Hawaii and Tahiti several times a year. You would not be able to do a back to back. We did a cruise on the TP a couple of years ago and will return again in April. The flight from LAX to Tahiti takes about 7.5 to 8.5 hours, which is just a few hours more than LAX to hawaii. The flight is long but the service on Air Tahiti is very good, the food is good and the drinks are free so the flight is much more enjoyable.

Mike

We just got back earlier this month from a 30 day cruise on HAL's Amsterdam. We left RT out of San Diego did the Hawaiian Islands, Christmas Island, Bora-Bora, Raiatea,Moorea,Papeete, and Nuka Hiva in the Marquesas Islands. It was an amazing trip. HAL has another with the same itinerary on the Ryndam leaving in Jan '07. You can check it out on the HAL roll call board.

Trisha

• 1 month later...

The Aranui is a hybred freighter/cruise ship that cruises the islands of Tahiti. The cruises are 15-16 day long. The interesting thing here is you're cruising on a working freighter ship, which I find to be very interesting, and there's only a maximum of 200 cruise passengers on board. Here are a few links on the Aranui freighter cruises-

http://www.aranui.com/index-english.htm

http://www.tahitilegends.com/choos-vacation/cruises/aranui.html

• 2 weeks later...

There's also a small cruiseline out of Bora Bora, very small ships, moving around among two or three islands. I have heard they are very nice, but rather pricey: http://www.boraboracruises.com

On the Paul Gauguin, you get no tipping, liquor in your room, no charge for non-alcoholic drinks at all (will become all-inclusive in 2007). Snorkelling equipment supplied. Oh, and an motu day with all the trimmings thrown in. And if you book air with the cruiseline, they include a day-room on the day you disembark, and transfers. Also no formal nights--there are two on the TP itineraries I believe, silly in a place like French Polynesia!

Have a great time planning the big trip!

Archived