covid test at arrival to ship

jowilson

Below is from the Princess web site:

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established; please check back on this page). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

7 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

As far as I know, they have yet to set-up any mobile testing sites off the ship???  And, Carnival Cruise line recently stated that they have given-up on setting them up due to the cost.  Maybe Princess will follow suit...

None that I’ve heard about either & sure they’d update their FAQs & would promote that option. I wasn’t aware of Carnival Cruise line giving up due to the cost. Sad because NCL has been providing free tests for all passengers at the port & Carnival cannot even provide paid tests for passengers whose test results aren’t received before embarkation. Instead Princess had a partnership with Quest for 2 day tests but have so few participating locations it’s useless for many of us.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

Just a suggestion given your circumstances:  buy a home test as discussed in this thread

Princess has also partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less. These at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online.

*This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

Have the test delivered to your home before the first cruise and then take the test when you arrive at Port Miami before disembarking. Obviously this won't be as easy as embarkation testing, but it seems a workable alternative.

• Like 1

Just now, Astro Flyer said:

None that I’ve heard about either & sure they’d update their FAQs & would promote that option. I wasn’t aware of Carnival Cruise line giving up due to the cost. Sad because NCL has been providing free tests for all passengers at the port & Carnival cannot even provide paid tests for passengers whose test results aren’t received before embarkation. Instead Princess had a partnership with Quest for 2 day tests but have so few participating locations it’s useless for many of us.

See if this works.

Carnival Cruise Line Nixes On-Site COVID-19 Testing Option - CRUISES - TRAVEL NEWS (boat-cruises-trips.com)

11 minutes ago, waltd said:

Thanks Joe…think the bottomline line is if there’s a will, there’s a way.

Cruise lines are attempting to do the best thing possible to fulfill the CDC’s mandates but think some are doing it better than CCL lines. I prefer the more reliable PCR test results for passengers & if results aren’t received before embarkation to have rapid tests at the few US ports should be an option. They can provide paid tests at the port for the few unvaccinated passengers & think they could do the same thing for the few passengers whose test results are delayed. That’s better than denying boarding particularly for those flying to a cruise. Some on our roll call for next month’s cruise have already canceled because they’re flying & don’t want to risk being denied boarding. I can drive back home if that happens but that’s not an option for those flying.

4 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks Joe…think the bottomline line is if there’s a will, there’s a way.

Cruise lines are attempting to do the best thing possible to fulfill the CDC’s mandates but think some are doing it better than CCL lines. I prefer the more reliable PCR test results for passengers & if results aren’t received before embarkation to have rapid tests at the few US ports should be an option. They can provide paid tests at the port for the few unvaccinated passengers & think they could do the same thing for the few passengers whose test results are delayed. That’s better than denying boarding particularly for those flying to a cruise. Some on our roll call for next month’s cruise have already canceled because they’re flying & don’t want to risk being denied boarding. I can drive back home if that happens but that’s not an option for those flying.

I'm glad we are not cruising till next March. The testing guidelines  are a major turnoff. We too are close to the LA port but too old to jump through hoops. I will wait if I have to.

• Like 1