Rapid Molecular Tests--Acceptable as Proof

nelblu

With the new CDC guidance of 2 days for C-19 testing, it puts a bit of a strain on any planning as I am flying to the departing destination..  Called my ME this AM and asked if they do any rapid Antigen testing.  Was told no, but they do a PCR and a Rapid Molecular tests.  PCR is 24-48 hours and the Molecular between 30 min to an hour.

The more I read, I get more confounded.  I took the PCR test for my Oasis sail out of Bayonne and I got the test results within 36 hours.  However, there is always a disclaimed and I can't take a chance.

Is the Rapid Molecular Test result accepted by RCL.

The answer is pretty simple, YES...go to Walgreen's online site 3 or 4 days before sailing and book a spot for  the test 2 days before sailing, get your results before you get home.  Not the PCR...the test they give you is accepted.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, nelblu said:

With the new CDC guidance of 2 days for C-19 testing, it puts a bit of a strain on any planning as I am flying to the departing destination..  Called my ME this AM and asked if they do any rapid Antigen testing.  Was told no, but they do a PCR and a Rapid Molecular tests.  PCR is 24-48 hours and the Molecular between 30 min to an hour.

The more I read, I get more confounded.  I took the PCR test for my Oasis sail out of Bayonne and I got the test results within 36 hours.  However, there is always a disclaimed and I can't take a chance.

Is the Rapid Molecular Test result accepted by RCL.

The way I understand it is, all COVID testing is accepted EXCEPT the antibody test that checks if youve had the virus in the past, which is a blood test 🙂   RC will not accept that.  

• Like 2

I believe so.  Here is the Royal Caribbean page that goes into details about what they will and will not accept.  This quote from that page seems to confirm that molecular tests are acceptable: “

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either kind to satisfy pre-cruise testing requirements. 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xqueenfrostine said:

I believe so.  Here is the Royal Caribbean page that goes into details about what they will and will not accept.  This quote from that page seems to confirm that molecular tests are acceptable: “

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either kind to satisfy pre-cruise testing requirements. 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test”

The confusion that I have with the Q&A is "Molecular, also called PCR/NAAT tests. " Again, unless there are various kinds, these tests take longer to get results a long as 72 hours in some cases.  The test that I'm listing takes about an hour.

17 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The confusion that I have with the Q&A is "Molecular, also called PCR/NAAT tests. " Again, unless there are various kinds, these tests take longer to get results a long as 72 hours in some cases.  The test that I'm listing takes about an hour.

You need to clarify what type of molecular test they’re offering for their rapid testing.  Without that info, we’re all just guessing about its validity with RCCL.  There are some NAAT tests that some providers are still able to do on-site and  quickly.  If that’s what they’re offering then you’re in luck.  If it’s something else, you need to know exactly what it is so you can get the right information.

Edited by xqueenfrostine

8 minutes ago, xqueenfrostine said:

You need to clarify what type of molecular test they’re offering for their rapid testing.  Without that info, we’re all just guessing about it’s validity with RCCL.  There are some NAAT tests that some providers are still able to do on-site and  quickly.  If that’s what they’re offering then you’re in luck.  If it’s something else, you need to know exactly what it is so you can get the right information.

That's my concern.  Will investigate.   I have some time before my sail, but I need to batten down my flight.

I found a excellent article  and if I read it correctly the "rapid molecular" test sounds like the "Abbott ID Now" test which on another thread is accepted by RCL.  It's a form of a rapid PCR/NAAT test, however, not as accurate as a lab tested PCR test.

Which COVID-19 Test Should You Use? > News > Yale Medicine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

That's my concern.  Will investigate.   I have some time before my sail, but I need to batten down my flight.

If the test they give you says NAAT on it, you are good to go, shouldn't make it that hard.  We are all more educated about this now...took a while, but.....

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

I found a excellent article  and if I read it correctly the "rapid molecular" test sounds like the "Abbott ID Now" test which on another thread is accepted by RCL.  It's a form of a rapid PCR/NAAT test, however, not as accurate as a lab tested PCR test.

Which COVID-19 Test Should You Use? > News > Yale Medicine

This is the test we took at Walgreens for our 8/26 Carnival Magic cruise.  On the lab report, it's listed as a NAAT test.  We had our results about 30 minutes after testing.

5 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

This is the test we took at Walgreens for our 8/26 Carnival Magic cruise.  On the lab report, it's listed as a NAAT test.  We had our results about 30 minutes after testing.

Good to know.