Covid on Iona

Cathygh

2 hours ago, ROBYNARCHROY said:

Thank you. Yes very recent. We were on a weeks cruise around Spain and flew home on 31st October.

My wife is still suffering breathing difficulties and off work. I fared better but am a little wiped out still and struggling with work, but as self employed have to try to soldier on.

We're both fully jabbed, in our fifties, and sensibly cautious in life. We've been to Greece and Turkey through the pandemic and have been fine. We were "unlucky" on the cruise.

Marella had a pre departure lft  taken at home, which means nothing in my experience as lft's mostly only show the most severely infected not those that could be asymptomatic at the time of testing/boarding.

Marella had a temperature check every day and if you didn't take it your cruise card was blocked. 

It was only the last day everyone was required to take a lateral flow test, but IMHO this was just box ticking.

I do hope cruises survive this opening up, but think it's important that if we feel there's a suppression of information we all share our experiences with facts rather than leaping around shouting "We're all doomed."

As mentioned, TUI will not engage at all about this. I draw my own conclusions.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Sorry to hear that you haven’t been well, hope things improve for you. 

It’s very important that we hear of people’s personal experiences with Covid. I think a lot of people have begun to think that their Covid risk is minimal - they won’t catch it because they’ve have the jab, or if they do get it, it’ll be just a sniffle. Whereas you and your wife - careful, otherwise healthy and fully jabbed were unfortunate enough to catch it, and have been unwell with it. If you can catch it, anybody can.

A lot of people are now acting like Covid has gone away, and this complacency will most likely spill over onto the ships.

Added to that, I’ve come to the conclusion that the cruise companies aren’t being entirely open about Covid on the ships.

I would like to cruise again, but the feeling of information being suppressed by the cruise line, and the risk of spending the cruise feeling cross about complacent passengers, is not making cruising an attractive proposition for me at the moment 

• Like 4