Change Credit Card Used for Deposit?

3 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

If I want to change the credit card I used when I booked my cruise, have a refundable deposit and are well before final payment

- will the reservation be refunded and I will rebook?

- or will Royal Caribbean just swap out the card? 

Not sure what you want to do.  Are you cancelling and want a refund? Or are you talking about using a different card for final?  For any further payments use what ever card you want.  You are not stuck using the original card for future payments.  If you are cancelling they will refund to original payment card.

4 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Not sure what you want to do. 

@njkruzer - I goofed and used the wrong Amex Platinum card when I put the deposit on the cruise.  My husband isnt traveling with me on this cruise and to get the Amex benefits the card member must be traveling.  So I need to swap his card out for my Amex card to get the benefits. 

So I was wondering if anyone has ever called RCL to swap out the card they used to make the deposit.  And if so, did they cancel the cruise & rebook or just refund the deposit and charge the new card. 

Hope that clarifies...sorry for the confusion. 

By the same token, it would be nice if royal would refund my recent purchases  and let me charge again to my Amex under the spend/get cash back deal. 

but, companies do not usually recover all the credit card fees back for refunds….  So I don’t know why they would offer that opportunity. 

• Like 2

Could you overpay by the amount of the deposit and request the refund to the card you want the charges reversed on? How about booking something extra for that amount, canceling and request the refund on that card?

On 10/8/2021 at 10:39 PM, greatestvalue said:

I goofed and used the wrong Amex Platinum card

Hah, are you me? Same dang thing re: another thread.  If you're trying to leverage the AMEX card offer I imagine you could always just make a payment with the Plat containing the offer against the cruise, no?  That's what I'm doing with a couple AMEX plats.

BTW, I'm not sure if you're aware of the "Cruise Privileges Program" but I was able to also get $300 OBC tacked onto my reservation because of the AMEX Plat too - this was through a popular 3rd party travel agent, it didn't need to be through AMEX travel.

10 hours ago, skagen said:

Cruise Privileges Program

@skagen - Thank you for making me feel better that Im not the only one who has messed up using the wrong card...lol

The Cruise Program is what Im trying to use. In order to get the AMEX Plat perks you need to book the entire trip on that card and the member who holds the card must be traveling. 

My husband isnt traveling on this cruise with me, so I need to use my own card and instead goofed and used his.  

The Amex offers I have didnt come on the Platinum card so for those i need to but internet, spa, dinners and/or something from Royal but no matter what we use it on Im good.   

21 hours ago, Fury1995 said:

Could you overpay by the amount of the deposit and request the refund to the card you want the charges reversed on? How about booking something extra for that amount, canceling and request the refund on that card?

Both great ideas. - thank you for sharing

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 5:27 PM, greatestvalue said:

If I want to change the credit card I used when I booked my cruise, have a refundable deposit and are well before final payment

Got an answer sharing data point:  I was able to swap out original credit cards used to place deposits on (2) cruises.  Deposits from June 8 2021 & Sept 30 2021 and replace with Amex Platinum credit cards today Oct 25.   Giving me Amex Platinum benefits, such as OBC and other goodies on both cruises. 

They did need to charge the Amex first and it will then take 1-10 days to refund the original card.

I did have refundable deposits on both cruises and both were prior to final payment.  However, no one asked or seemed to care if it was a refundable deposit.  It didnt seem to be any unusual request, both TA's I was dealing with knew that it was doable. 

What was scary was Royal Caribbean rep didnt know how to do it, but to his credit he called someone who did know and got it done - so Kudoos to him!! 

So if you will get better benefits by using a different card, then give it a whirl. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this question and for providing the update. I did the same thing! I wanted to use the amex offer on the cruise and did not realize that only one of my Amex's had the offer. It would've been really hard for me to ignore $350 off on a $5,000 cruise. I was going to cancel it myself, but was worried I would mess something up, so decided to call. At first when I told the representative over the phone, he gave a big sigh, but I knew from you that he could do it and sure enough it was changed 😄

• Like 1