Royal Newbies. Ovation or Quantum? Suggestions and tips.

We are going to book our first Royal cruise next July or August to Alaska.  Any recommendations on ships, either the Ovation or Quatum?  Any tips, things to not miss or avoids.  We have sailed on Princess and Celebrity and want to try something new.  Thanks much!

• Like 1

Sea Emerald and I mostly want to know the differences between the Ovation and the Quantum. Quantum is a couple of years older but it looks like it went through a refurb in 2019. Also, I saw a short time this spring where it looks like the Quantum is not sailing as there are no bookings advertised, but I can't find any type of planned refurb. Are there differences that are substantial?  Are there many differences in decor of common areas? Does one feel more refreshed than the other? The itineraries are not really in question right now as we would like to go to either Sitka or Icy Strait Point. The prices we are looking at don't vary by much.

I realize that our questions almost assuredly requires that someone has been on both ships in recent history, which will probably be drawing from a very small pool of members. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

I'm not thrilled by RCL's up-charge for deposit refund in case of cancellation on many of the bookings. We don't see many of those on Celebrity or Princess. However, I think we would be quite happy with RCL as a cruise line and their take on cruising. Looks like a fun time!

2 minutes ago, farsight said:

. Are there differences that are substantial?  Are there many differences in decor of common areas? Does one feel more refreshed than the other?

No. Those are as subjective as food, but most would likely answer no. Neither ship has been changed in any meaningful way during their dry docks and none are due for at least 3 more years. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, farsight said:

I realize that our questions almost assuredly requires that someone has been on both ships in recent history, which will probably be drawing from a very small pool of members. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

We were on Ovation In May 2019 to Alaska but have not sailed Quantum since 2015. We were also on Ovation from Barcelona to Singapore in 2016 and sailed Anthem once out of New Jersey. That said, we have not seen much materially different on the three ships. I believe that Ovation may have an escape room which I don't believe you will find on Quantum. 

We love all the Quantum class ships and would not hesitate to sail either Quantum or Ovation again.  I guess if I had to pick I would chose Ovation only because it is a little newer.

• Thanks 1