Norfolk - Post Cruise Shore Excursion - Carnival

IMKTDQT810

Hello All,

We sail from Norfolk in June 2022 and I was trying to see if (in the past) Carnival has offered any post cruise excursions. I am looking at a flight that doesn't leave until 3:40 and if we happen to get off the ship by 9 or 10 then that would be a LONG day in the airport waiting on the flight, plus layover and arrival home by 9pm. So I was wondering what type of excursions from this port has been offered, how much was it and did you think it was worth it? What do they happen to do with your luggage (or is in on the excursion with you and then you get dropped at the airport?). TIA

A 3:40 flight is one which requires you to be at the gate by 3:25, which means (if you allow yourself the minimal, modest hour to check in, leave luggage, etc.) getting to the airport by 2:25.  The four or so hours between getting off the ship and showing up at the airport does not really offer much opportunity for anything more than a decent lunch.

I propose:

A) finding an interesting place in Norfolk to have lunch between getting off the ship and showing up at the airport.

or, 

B) Rent a car, drive up to Williamsburg, check into a hotel, motel or inn and experience one of the most fascinating and rewarding locations in the US.  Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement, Yorktown - all within a few miles of each other  - and probably not likely to ever be so convenient for you  to visit.

THINK. OUTSIDE THE BOX!!  It is not always just about finishing your cruise and getting home — when will you find yourself in Tidewater Virginia again?

• Like 3

Do you have the option to spend an extra night or two?  I’d second the trip to Williamsburg. Colonial Williamsburg is pretty amazing. How many other places have a church with pews where Washington and Jefferson sat, or where Patrick Henry  said “give me liberty, or give me death”? Or Jamestown, the first English settlement in what would become=the United States. . 

Or walk the fields of Yorktown where, as Len Manuel Miranda says so eloquently  in Hamilton, the world turned upside down? There is so much American history in a 15 to 20 area. 

if you’re stuck on your flight, there are options in Norfolk. The MacArthur memorial is probably the most obvious.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, markeb said:

if you’re stuck on your flight, there are options in Norfolk. The MacArthur memorial is probably the most obvious.

The Norfolk Botanical Gardens (right next to the airport) are beautiful.  Free tram rides or lovely walking trails or reasonably priced boat rides among the canals and lakes.  Very nice gift shop and restaurant, too.  Quite a pleasant way to spend a few hours.  Google it and Check it out.  

• Like 1

Thank you ALL for the excellent suggestions. We will be flying in the day prior and staying within walking distance so my goal is to tour the Nauticus the day before for some local fun. I DO love the idea of renting a car and going to Williamsburg, I was there as a child and my son might enjoy going to see it. 

The only thing is that this whole cruise is a Christmas Surprise for DH and DS. I think I would want their input before booking the car, hotel, return flights etc. I mean the original goal was to say we are going on the cruse and flying (rather then a 7 hour drive from home) and having the flights booked. DH is more of a home body and doesn't like to be gone for long (what is why I book at 5 night and not 7 night cruise) but now you have my wheels turning because we return on a Wed and maybe doing Wed- Sat would be fun and fly back home on Saturday. UUUmmm.....you all got me thinking now! 

2 hours ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Thank you ALL for the excellent suggestions. We will be flying in the day prior and staying within walking distance so my goal is to tour the Nauticus the day before for some local fun. I DO love the idea of renting a car and going to Williamsburg, I was there as a child and my son might enjoy going to see it. 

The only thing is that this whole cruise is a Christmas Surprise for DH and DS. I think I would want their input before booking the car, hotel, return flights etc. I mean the original goal was to say we are going on the cruse and flying (rather then a 7 hour drive from home) and having the flights booked. DH is more of a home body and doesn't like to be gone for long (what is why I book at 5 night and not 7 night cruise) but now you have my wheels turning because we return on a Wed and maybe doing Wed- Sat would be fun and fly back home on Saturday. UUUmmm.....you all got me thinking now! 

I'm lucky to live in Norfolk (In fact, am a native.)   Williamsburg is a wonderful idea but there are also tours of the Norfolk Naval Base available, and it is fun to visit The Virginia Zoo located here in town.  The Outer Banks of North Carolina are only a little over an hour away where the Wright Brothers flew the first airplane and there are beautiful beaches all along the coast.  Virginia Beach has a great Aquarium...The Chrysler Museum and the MacArthur Memorial are within a mile or two of the cruise port and the Hermitage Museum, located nearby on the Lafayette River is  an interesting & beautiful spot. Much to see and do in Coastal Virginia and N.C. -- great seafood restaurants, boating, swimming and fishing not to forget all the fresh oyster beds nearby.  The sun rises and sun sets are magnificent over our waterways.  Stay a few days and then come back and cruise from Norfolk again!!!  

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 2:23 PM, elsie3939 said:

I'm lucky to live in Norfolk (In fact, am a native.)   Williamsburg is a wonderful idea but there are also tours of the Norfolk Naval Base available, and it is fun to visit The Virginia Zoo located here in town.  The Outer Banks of North Carolina are only a little over an hour away where the Wright Brothers flew the first airplane and there are beautiful beaches all along the coast.  Virginia Beach has a great Aquarium...The Chrysler Museum and the MacArthur Memorial are within a mile or two of the cruise port and the Hermitage Museum, located nearby on the Lafayette River is  an interesting & beautiful spot. Much to see and do in Coastal Virginia and N.C. -- great seafood restaurants, boating, swimming and fishing not to forget all the fresh oyster beds nearby.  The sun rises and sun sets are magnificent over our waterways.  Stay a few days and then come back and cruise from Norfolk again!!!  

I have been a frequent visitor to your home area many times and I support your recommendations.  However, are you certain that tours of Norfolk Naval Base are still available?  At one time, one could tour the Naval Base, on some week-ends a couple of the ships would be available for visitation (my visit to the USS Harry S. Truman was quite an experience!), and there were tours to Oceana NAS.  I thought 9/11 ended all of that.  

My recommendation for the OP if her family must return home on disembarkation day would be a visit to Nauticus or the MacArthur Memorial/Museum and a lunch at Waterside.  If the USS Wisconsin is open for visitors, one could spend a lot of time visiting that vessel.  

• Like 1

I would opt to do one of the suggested Norfolk activities.  DO NOT rent a car and drive to Williamsburg.  If all is smooth at the HRBT (tunnel) it will take you at least 50 minutes to get there and if the traffic at the tunnel is snarled (as it often is), there is no telling how long it would take you to get there or back.  I live in Williamsburg and travel to Norfolk on occasion.  It has taken me anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours to get there.  You certainly don't want to take a chance on missing your flight.

Edited by Janet524
correction
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

DO NOT rent a car and drive to Williamsburg.  If all is smooth at the HRBT (tunnel) it will take you at least 50 minutes to get there and if the traffic at the tunnel is snarled (as it often is), there is no telling how long it would take you to get there or back. 

I agree.  Williamsburg is a great place to visit, but there is so much to see and experience, it deserves more time than I think the OP will have to give it.  Having used the tunnnel several times over the years, I have experienced the conditions that you mention.  Always, traffic slows. And,  traffic can become a mess.  

• Like 1

Having to allow time to get to an airport is a concern which should occur to anyone considering a flight.  Just allow for it - rather than let a routine concern dictate plans.

It is hardly a reason to rule out spending two or more days enjoying a really worthwhile and unique experience in a part of the country you may not have occasion to visit again.  Of course it might not make sense to plan for just one night in Williamsburg.  

Finally,  there is no reason to have to go back to Norfolk - the close by Newport News/Williamsburg Airport is served by  several major airlines

• Like 1

Thank you all again for such wonderful information. I found out this week that we will not be able to extend our time in the Norfolk/Williamsburg area upon our return due to a family gathering that weekend. So we will need to head home BUT I am again looking at the later flights out of Norfolk again which are cheaper. What do folks do with their luggage? I love how @elsie3939 stated the botanical gardens are next to the airport which would be great to get to the airport early, check in our luggage and then go walk around the gardens (since that would be up our alley) but is there access to get to the gardens from the airport or would we need to get another Uber to get there and then back to the airport again? Just wondering....we were not going to be taking the Carnival transfers since we could get an Uber for the price of one transfer. Thanks again!