AARP - Does it save you money on cruising and more?

Hello All,

I just turned 50 a few months ago and got an AARP flier in the mail today. I was reading through it and I was wondering if folks really get a big savings out of it? The offer is one year for $16 and a free sling bag. But I was just wondering if anyone is a member and what type of savings you have seen/used (across the board...not JUST for cruising). Thanks alot!

I've been a member for 15 years. Worth the subscription just for all the senior centric information they provide with monthly magazine. Also get discounts at restaurants and hotels that I use. There are other discounts available that I probably should look into now that I'm retired and have the time! If you sign up for three years you save even more on the subscription price.

• Like 3

@brzymom thank you so much for the feedback. I asked a few family members that qualify for it but said they didn't know what all it offered and never bothered to look into it. So I appreciate you taking the time and letting me know it's not really a gimmick of sorts.

I have seen TV ads around time that open enrollment for Medicare takes place, but I never really paid much attention to them (either).  

6 hours ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

But I was just wondering if anyone is a member and what type of savings you have seen/used (across the board...not JUST for cruising).

Like brzymom, I have received discounts at some restaurants and some hotels when there is no AAA or Senior Discount.  (More often than not, though, the AAA and AARP discounts are the same.)  I also get a monthly discount on my Consumer Cellular service.  I have never used my AARP membership in pricing a cruise.  

I first became a member because I liked the idea of an organization that was retiree-oriented and was recognized by both Federal and State lawmakers.  While I frequently let those who represent me at the Federal and State level know what I think, I usually don't think I get "heard".  But, an organization such as AARP commands more "respect" in what they think, I believe.  I do enjoy browsing through (and reading the articles that interest me) their publications.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

Thank you @rkacruiserI appreciate your feedback and information. We used to belong to AAA but the price was close to 100.00 a year so we no longer have it. I'm trying to get smarter and wiser on what I put my moo-la towards these days and even though it IS a great program we have the same benefits through our car insurance now and it's ALOT cheaper! Well, except the discount perks but we don't travel that much to keep paying $100 for the few times we vacation. 

I like your way of thinking as well about the organization as a whole and that it is recognized by both Federal and State lawmakers. I was not aware of that fact. 

It's interesting how I have ONLY mentioned it here and yet now when I browse social media sites I get the "sign up now" AARP for as low at $9. I guess they need to make money somehow for that sling bag, lol!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many Hotels offer discounts to AARP (Most also discount same for AAA). Many restaurants also have discounts for AARP Members - I have taken to flashing my AAA & AARP cards (or asking) to see if I get a discount.

I have not used for cruise discounts (I am happy with my TA's services / price).

In short - I feel I always at least get my money's worth (and it is not that much money in the first place). 

I also (usually) respond to their requests to write to our legislature representatives about issues affecting us older folks.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RGEDad said:

I also (usually) respond to their requests to write to our legislature representatives about issues affecting us older folks.

I am a writer to my "representatives" in Congress and the General Assembly as well.  Not that it usually seems to do any good, though.  For me, the most irritating thing is that I either get no response from them or a boilerplate response that has nothing to do about what I wrote.  Senator Rob Portman is particularly good in that department.  Such a practice is insulting to me.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...