Alyeska Resort in summer?

Kitty Ellas Mom

If anyone read my previous thread about Anchorage hotels, they saw me thinking about the Captain Cook vs. Alyeska Resort for a day and a half (or more like 2 full days, depending on my eventual flights).  I'm booked at CC but still thinking about Alyeska;  this is for mid June 2022.  Is it worth it to go there in the summer, without the skiing?  I would have about 2 days.  I looked at it as the more relaxing of the 2 options b/c I'd probably just hang out in the resort and grounds, vs doing more active touring if I stay in Anchorage at the CC.  I am worried, based on reviews from last summer, about lack of food too, although I am expecting that next summer they probably won't have the extreme staff shortage of summer 2021.  I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to restaurants with take out or eating inside, but I do like to get into a restaurant quickly, and it sounds like that was impossible last summer in Girdwood.

The Alyeska resort has a restaurant within the hotel itself and a restaurant at the top of the

tram lift with gorgeous views.

The NCL tour and cruise package that I took included one night at the hotel with tram lift and

complimentary meal at top of the lift.

Later in that afternoon a visit to the Alaska Wild Life Conservation and then off through the

Anton Anderson tunnel to Whittier to board NCL SUN for the 7 cruise to Vancouver. 

Note NCL now uses the port of Seward and the tour packages have changed.

Even for a brief visit to Alyeska and the tram trip it is something not to be missed.

The town of Girdwood has several good restaurants. Double Muskie is my favorite ( Cajun) for dinner, and the bake shop for lunch are just a few. There are others which I have not visited. Whittier is not too far  away but you need a car. You could go fishing or do a marine tour. Seward is a possible trip from Girdwood also. Plenty to do there. Fishing, glacier tours, shopping, restaurants, Sealife center, etc. The drive from Anchorage to Girdwood is the most beautiful trip ever. Have done it dozens of times but still is great. Good luck with your decision.

• Like 2

Alyeska is a resort, sit back and relax. You can order a box lunch at breakfast for your exploring needs..  Plenty of hiking options from the top of the tram or just watch the sky sailors. I had a standoff with a cow moose at the front entrance, ONCE. I took the side entrance. Moose are not toys, unless you want to get your name in the paper.

The resort did run a shuttle to greater/lesser Girdwood (grid weird) and the Doubtable Muskie (order the lamb, not as much gristle) but Chair Five has always been my fav restaurant.

The best state paved road in Girdwood leads to the late Ted *senator for life* Steven's house. Bringing home the bacon.

Check with the Glacier Forest Service office in Gridweird to see if there is an upcoming bore tide. Great viewing from their office. There used to be a local radio show known as the Tidal Bore.

• Like 1

We stayed for 3 night pre-cruise. We did not have a car -- we used the hotel shuttle to get around -- very easy to do. Lots of great restaurants on their shuttle route. Excursions through the hotel are pricey, but it's Alaska, so everything seems pricey. Even the ride to the top of the mountain seemed expensive. My biggest complaint was something the hotel can't do anything about. The blackflies are insane! We tried to do a couple of the fun things outdoors (disc golf etc) and we were being eaten alive. You can wear long sleeves, long pants etc, but they were constantly in my face too 😞