Venice departures

margbem

Does anyone have any definite news on where Seabourn will be docked when the start and finish of a cruise is Venice? Heard all sorts about ships using Trieste or Ravenna instead, or Marghera or another industrial port in Venice. Our booking states Marittima but we know cruise ships can no longer sail in and out of there.

1 hour ago, margbem said:

Does anyone have any definite news on where Seabourn will be docked when the start and finish of a cruise is Venice? Heard all sorts about ships using Trieste or Ravenna instead, or Marghera or another industrial port in Venice. Our booking states Marittima but we know cruise ships can no longer sail in and out of there.

If they are using the industrial port of Marghera on the mainland, or the nearby Fusina port (normally used for ferries) , then you will likely still go to the Marittima cruise terminal to check in, and then be bused over to the ship. Several Silversea cruises this fall have sailed from Fusina in this way. But with all the juggling of cruise ships due to limited docks in the industrial port, there are likely to be multiple possibilities over the next year, and different cruises may operate out of different locations, so I strongly suggest reaching out to Seabourn for definitive information. And they may not even have a final answer yet, as all the cruise lines have been jockeying for berths, and I don't know if the dust has yet settled for the 2022 season.

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If they are using the industrial port of Marghera on the mainland, or the nearby Fusina port (normally used for ferries) , then you will likely still go to the Marittima cruise terminal to check in, and then be bused over to the ship. Several Silversea cruises this fall have sailed from Fusina in this way. But with all the juggling of cruise ships due to limited docks in the industrial port, there are likely to be multiple possibilities over the next year, and different cruises may operate out of different locations, so I strongly suggest reaching out to Seabourn for definitive information. And they may not even have a final answer yet, as all the cruise lines have been jockeying for berths, and I don't know if the dust has yet settled for the 2022 season.

Yes, I totally agree about Seabourn possibly not knowing yet. I have to say, if it turns out to be Trieste or Ravenna, how on earth can people confidently book flights on disembarkation day? Food for thought!

2 hours ago, margbem said:

I have to say, if it turns out to be Trieste or Ravenna, how on earth can people confidently book flights on disembarkation day?

Thus the reason to check with Seabourn before booking air. 😉

I'd also say if there isn't a convincing, solid answer available from Seabourn, this would be a good reason for booking air through Seabourn -- even if slightly more expensive than booking on your own. If you book with them and they change the port of disembarkation and can't get you to your flight on time, they're on the hook to rebook you on alternative flights. 

We booked Seabourn air for our cruise in August. Their prices were less than anything I could find on my own. It was no problem to change our reservation when the airline's change of schedules made it unlikely that we would make a connecting flight.