Arriving early in London plan

mstoltz

On 11/9/2021 at 12:54 PM, mstoltz said:

As I plan our 2 day stay in London for next August, I have a question about the Buckingham Palace changing of the guard.  Most reviews on youtube show huge crowds and recommend arriving hours in advance.  Ugh, not an option.  A couple reviews recommend starting at the remote locations of the new guards and following them to Buckingham Palace and then following the old guards to their barracks.  Also some recommend the Horse Guards.  

Any thoughts? I enjoy watching ceremonial guards.

Just now, letsgo39 said:

It has been a few years but if you get there early at Buckingham and stand on the left side up against the fence you should be able to see pretty good. After the Ceremony is done there you can follow the old guards up the Mall and end up at Trafalgar Square, I think it takes place about 10 am but would need to check that online. If you are only in London for a couple of days the HoHo bus is a good way to see things. No need to get tickets in advance you can just get them on the Bus. There is a ticket that includes a cruise on the Thames. You can get on at the base of the bridge by Westminster and take it down to the Tower Bridge and see the Tower of London.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:17 AM, letsgo39 said:

After the Ceremony is done there you can follow the old guards up the Mall and end up at Trafalgar Square

The Old Guard March off to Wellington Barracks via Birdcage Walk, not the Mall. The St James’s Palace detachment of the New Guard do march down the Mall, but naturally only as far as the Palace, not to Trafalgar Square. 

Full details here from the Household Division https://www.householddivision.org.uk/changing-the-guard-details 

Description

A market town is a European settlement that obtained by custom or royal charter, in the Middle Ages, a market right, which allowed it to host a regular market; this distinguished it from a village or city. Wikipedia

A 'market town' in the UK is categorised as a small town in a rural setting that was given a historic legal right to hold a weekly market. Famous examples in the UK include Dorchester in Dorset, Yeovil in Somerset and Halifax in West Yorkshire.
  • Like 1

I should add that my comment was part of a tradition on this board of gently reminding our friends from America that the habit of dropping the last part of an address or landmark can cause some confusion. 

Of course, we Brits don’t help, by having our own shorthand. ‘Buck House’ is a common nickname for Buckingham Palace, and is historically accurate in the sense that before it was sold to George III, it was Buckingham House, a London residence of the Dukes of Buckingham. 

23 hours ago, turnip eater said:

Description

A market town is a European settlement that obtained by custom or royal charter, in the Middle Ages, a market right, which allowed it to host a regular market; this distinguished it from a village or city. Wikipedia

A 'market town' in the UK is categorised as a small town in a rural setting that was given a historic legal right to hold a weekly market. Famous examples in the UK include Dorchester in Dorset, Yeovil in Somerset and Halifax in West Yorkshire.

How interesting. I have traveled to Europe about 14 times and I never knew that..Thank you.

8 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I should add that my comment was part of a tradition on this board of gently reminding our friends from America that the habit of dropping the last part of an address or landmark can cause some confusion. 

Of course, we Brits don’t help, by having our own shorthand. ‘Buck House’ is a common nickname for Buckingham Palace, and is historically accurate in the sense that before it was sold to George III, it was Buckingham House, a London residence of the Dukes of Buckingham. 

"Tradition" Whatever. I have been on here since 2006 and have more them 3500 posts. I doubt if the OP was confused considering the thread was about London and the place to watch the Changing of the Guard. If it makes you feel better that is fine with me. We Americans also have our own "shorthand." I do appreciate your lesson. So are you on this sailing?

• 1 month later...

If you haven’t been to London before consider at least 4 nights.  London is a massive city and a destination unto itself with lovely day trips by train.  I’ve been many times and still stay at least 4 nights when passing through.

An earlier poster speaks the truth when recommending an evening departure from the US when flying to Europe with a midday or early afternoon arrival…then stay awake, take a walk, have dinner and try to go to bed no more than slightly early.  It also helps to not eat on the plane until the pre-arrival snack…this helps to reset your internal clock.

• 2 weeks later...

My best time at avoiding jet lag was a morning flight to London that arrived around 8 p.m. It was 11 by the time we made it to our hotel--time to go to bed even though it was only 6 back home. 

I didn't understand the people who flew in the day of the cruise when we took our British Isles cruise. They were like zombies the first couple of days on the ship.