Ancient Wonders Of The Black Sea. May 2022

woodcritic

Too repeat my views .  I agree very likely black sea element might not go ahead. If it does will stick to south black sea and stay safely in Turkish waters. If no black sea I hope they replace it with an Eastern Mediterranean of same length.  Giving those who want the option of course of cancelling. Given the 5 day isolation of people on back to back hope Saga don't replace it by 2 back to back 2 week cruises. Also want to stay in sun not return to UK and cross bay of Biscay twice.

Anyway compared to the absolute nightmare for the people of Ukraine,  our worries about a cruise intinerary are nothing

1 hour ago, Banjo an said:

Ok if that’s what you want but if you’ve been trying to get to the Black Sea for a long time like we have then going to those other places would not compensate.

Agree , should have choice to cancel 

Although we have been looking forward to this cruise after several cancellations, we now feel that in view of what is happening in Ukraine it would be immoral to be cruising around the Black Sea while this horrific war is raging in the region. 

Don't see why supporting the economies of Bulgaria and Romania who are taking in so many refuges,  or Georgia that' feels under threat, or Turkey which is trying to broker peace is immoral. Certainly not morally different to going on any other  cruise any where else whilst all this is happening. Whether cruising and enjoying ones self at this time is moral or immoral is way beyond my little brain. The question I ask is would it help if we stayed at home, would it make any difference. 

I feel black sea will soon be out of bounds for safety reasons. 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 11:23 AM, Toonarmy said:

Just received the expected itinerary change which means we don't go to Odessa. Has anyone any information about Saga's "Premium Drinks package". Never heard of it. 

Not as such, but I think it means you are not restricted to house spirits or wine so could choose champagne or Glenfidditch etc.

For the past few weeks I have been keeping an eye on various message boards relating to how cruise companies are reacting to the situation in Eastern Europe. Saga recently announced that the Spirit of Adventure would no longer be visiting Odessa during its Black Sea cruise in May and this news obviously came as no surprise. I personally wouldn’t be too surprised to hear of further changes to our itinerary.

With that in mind I have looked at what changes other cruise companies have made with regard to their own Black Sea cruises. It is my understanding that Windstar have cancelled all their Black Sea cruises planned for 2022. Regent Seven Seas Explorer would appear to be no longer heading into the Black Sea on their cruise departing Istanbul on 14th May and Azamara have announced that they are dropping their planned visits to Romania and Georgia. I believe that their only Black Sea port of calls will be in Bulgaria. It would seem that Saga are currently the only cruise

Company still planning to go ahead with their planned Black Sea itinerary (excluding Odessa of course) . Fingers crossed that this remains the case but I am not too hopeful.

News of the last change to our itinerary reached some of our fellow passengers long before we received our notification. It would be greatly appreciated if anybody hearing of further changes to our itinerary could let fellow cruisers know through this message board as soon as possible. Many thanks.

As it appears that all the other cruise lines have made their decision then It’s about time that Saga did the same. 
Its no use just telling passengers who ring up that they are just following Foreign Office guidelines a decision needs to be made.

We can but wait and see.

So far the decision has been made to go ahead except  Odessa.  The foreign office deem the other countries safe and they are normally cautious. If the war spreads to NATO countries like Bulgaria and Romania then a cancelled cruise will be the least of our worries. 

Clearly  those that don't want to go , want the decision ie cancellation to be made asap. 

Others like me are happy to wait and hope that things improve, we have two months to go. Too late to book another cruise, so will , have to accept or reject whatever Saga decide/offer. 

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

We can but wait and see.

So far the decision has been made to go ahead except  Odessa.  The foreign office deem the other countries safe and they are normally cautious. If the war spreads to NATO countries like Bulgaria and Romania then a cancelled cruise will be the least of our worries. 

Clearly  those that don't want to go , want the decision ie cancellation to be made asap. 

Others like me are happy to wait and hope that things improve, we have two months to go. Too late to book another cruise, so will , have to accept or reject whatever Saga decide/offer. 

We are in the same position, except that it may be taken out if our hands because we have recently had covid, with a cough as one of the symptoms. Saga may no longer be able to offer insurance but no decision on this will be made for another month. So we wait and see what will happen both with the cruise and our insurance.

Hope you get better soon,  I  hope two months is long enough both to get over covid and to test negative.  Fingers crossed. 

If Saga insurance won't insure people who have had Covid and recovered  then they will soon run out of people, if 100,000 a day are catching it in UK

Edited by Windsurfboy

9 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Hope you get better soon,  I  hope two months is long enough both to get over covid and to test negative.  Fingers crossed. 

If Saga insurance won't insure people who have had Covid and recovered  then they will soon run out of people, if 100,000 a day are catching it in UK

Thanks. We are fine now and negative. Saga have a list of various covid symptoms from the underwriters and if you say yes to any of them then they won't apparently insure you if it is within 3 months of the cruise. We started just before the 3 months but carried on into the 3 month period so not sure where we stand. However Saga have not said no yet but are going to speak to me again in a month. 

It’s worrying to note that Odessa is now being shelled by Russian warships in the Black Sea.

I can see that you are probably correct about the removal of most if not all of the Black Sea ports from the itinerary. 

21 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Spirit of Adventure is registered in Limassol on the 7th of June 2022.

https://limassolcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/limassolcruise/2022/03/Cruise-Schedule_2020_2021_2022.pdf

Thank you for passing on this information. In view of recent activities involving  the Russian Black Sea fleet it is inevitable, and quite reasonable, that Saga now appear to be in the process of planning an alternative itinerary.  It will be interesting to hear what other ports Saga might be under consideration. 

1 hour ago, Banjo an said:

I think it’s about time that Saga put us in the picture, particularly as all the other cruise lines have cancelled their calls to the Black Sea.

I would have thought that by now Saga would have made the big decision as to whether they still intend sending a cruise ship into the Black Sea. I can appreciate the fact that it is a difficult decision and trying to find alternative ports at this late stage must be problematic.The fact that the Spirit of Adventure is now going to Cyprus is perhaps an indication that saga have indeed made the decision.  I understand that Azamara cruises initially deferred their final date by 30 days and notified passengers that a change of itinerary was imminent. Azamara subsequently conducted a survey of their passengers to ascertain what their passengers would be happy to do. Azamara then published their new itinerary. I would have thought it reasonable for Saga to at least let passengers know whether the “Ancient Wonders of the Black Sea” cruise will still enter the Black Sea. If, as expected, the answer is “No” then at least we can start to consider our options and look at alternatives.

Given the timing , I think our options will be simple , either accept the new intinerary that Saga proposes, or not. 

There are few cruise options available for May/June from Southampton for those that had mind set on Black sea,  most cruises are fully booked , perhaps the odd inside berth available .  Any alternative for May  June will not be a cruise. So no rush,  Saga will have to think hard about alternative ports,  Covid requirements being one factor. I for one would like them to try to avoid  countries that want to test eveyone before we can disembark. Obviously like to hear asap, but also prefer them to sort out best intinerary they can , not rush it.

Also if foreign office,  do not rule against Black sea, Saga must think hard about changing itinerary 

I agree with you Windsurfboy  but I think it’s about time that Saga put us in the picture, particularly as all the other cruise lines have cancelled their calls to the Black Sea.

Surely the reports of Russian Naval ships and mines in the Black Sea should help Saga to make a decision.