Surprise Her Before the Trip or on the Day of Departure?

sfvoyager

For my mom's 80th Bday, I am taking her on the Golden Princess for the Transatlantic from New York to Venice.

I thought it would be exciting to surprise her by letting her know as the taxi pulls up to the pier. (She would be thinking we are heading for the airport)

But now, I wanted to get feedback if I should tell her in advance or wait till the last day.

What a wonderful present! I also agree that you should tell her in advance. She might want to bring or buy other things that she wouldn't have gotten. Plus not only will she be able have the fun of anticipation, she will also be able to have the fun of telling (brag) her friends about the wonderful birthday gift her daughter is giving her. :)

Speaking as a female, the surprise would be wonderful, but you would get a small slap upside the head since the packing is so different for a cruise.

The cruise environment is actually different than just flying to a place. And some of us love to plan our formal nights.

I do have to add you are just a great child, and what a wonderful thing to do.

I don't know how your grandmother would react either, but how awesome just to drive up to the ship and tell her there :D

If you can pack formal clothes for her and KNOW she is okay with sailing over the ocean with no land in sight for 5 days then go for it.

If it was me though, I would probably want to know ahead of time,

This is a wonderful thing you are doing! best wishes.

I would also tell her in advance. When I think of all the things we do ahead of time; stop the mail, arrange for someone to watch the house, purchase last minute items specific to the cruise, and let others know our schedule and what to do in case of emergency.

BUT you could make telling her a celebration in and of itself. Be creative and let your imagination go. You could make a gift box of the cruise brochure, a pair of sunglasses..............................and so on.

Have a great time!

I too will be on that cruise with my son,who lives in the SF area. And even though I would be thrilled to learn of the cruise as a hugh surprise at the last minute, I am certain that I would much prefer to learn of it earlier.

Even though I have been on 4 cruises, I get nearly as much pleasure planning for it and contemplating it as I do on the cruise itself. I'm sure she will too.

What a wonderful group you all are! I was truly moved reading all of your responses.

I actually told her we are going to London so she could enjoy anticipating a trip, and I encouraged her to go wild with packing as we will be going to formal events. (She assumes the events would be in London) She is a bit suspicious though, as she can't see what we would do for three weeks in one city.

Part of me is bursting to tell her so we can share in the anticipation of the ship, and all of its' destinations. Also, some elements of the actual vacation can remain a surprise.

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I will follow your overwhelming response to tell her now rather than later.

I know what would be nice to maybe get her a card or make her one about a month before the ship leaves and put Bonvoyage on the front with a picture of a ship, with a written message something like We Are Going on a Cruise maybe with the date. I love being surprised but it is nice to know what to pack too. You are a lovely person to do this.:)

Delores

We went on a cruise to Hawaii out of Los Angeles a few years ago with our neighbors and my 82 year old mother and her cousin. On the day of departure our kids surprised us with a limo to the ship! We were all flabbergasted! It made the trip even more special and my mother still talks about "going to the ship in a limo!" You might think about doing something like that for an extra special surprise on the day of departure. Limo's are definitely more fun that taxis! ;)

I am having so much fun reading your replies that it really reinforces how much I want to tell her NOW!

Cruznliz, how right you are! I originally booked the QM2 for a Mediterranean cruise, and they cancelled due to a broken pod. (Luckily I didn't mention this voyage to my mom, so she won't know the huge disappointment I felt.)

When I originally planned to surprise her for that cruise, I was going to surprise her with a Rolls Royce from London to Southampton. So now, I will look for a big ole Lincoln Limo from Manhattan to the cruise! :) Wahoo.

My friend and his girlfriend do this on a regular basis. Every birthday is a surprise trip. Last year, she and I planned for the 4 of us to go on the Grand, without my friend knowing. Planning started 10 months in advance. He knew he was going on a trip and that there was a surprise involved, but didn't know where he was going, or that we were going along, until 15 minutes before the limo arrived. Perfect 50th birthday.

Based on that, you might tell her you've decided to surprise her. That way the packing tips are clues. It would be fun, and she'd know to expect something different.

What a wonderful person you are. I think it all depends if she has cruised often in the past. If she has, she probably has the "formal" type clothes and other "cruise clothes".

My DH surprised me a few years back with a cruise. He said we were going to airport to see my brother and sister-in-law off on their cruise. This raised suspicions and I asked him if we were going someplace since I saw makeup etc. missing. I said "give me five minutes" and I literally grabbed some more makeup etc. The suitcases were already in the car and he took care of all the things around the house for going away such as pet care etc. It was wonderful and he knew almost everything I like to bring on cruises. Again, I have cruised often, and on a Caribbean cruise, as this was, I don't need too much stuff. Best surprise I have ever had!

If this is a first cruise, I would definately tell her. Maybe present a box with some of the cruise essentials she will need along with a brochure of the ship etc. She will love getting ready and telling others about it.

At 80, your Mom has earned the right to wave this trip under her friend's noses as much as possible. Tell her soon in a special way so she can enjoy it even longer, and prepare by reading up on the ship and the ports. What a wonderful birthday surprise. Have a great cruise!

I vote to tell her too. I usually like to celebrate and give the gift on the day of the special occasion but in this case, I agree that the anticipation and the "bragging" of an upcoming cruise is a gift in itself. You will be giving her a nice surprise with the limo ride as it is. Just one surprise after another. I would want to know ahead of time if I were her. However, you know your mother best.

What a great gift you are giving your mother! She is one lucky mom!

I'm definitely in the "surprise her" category. I mean, you know her, and if you think you can take care of everything for her ahead of time, like making sure the right stuff is packed and whatever arrangements mentioned above, like stopping the mail, I think she would love the surprise.

As for the bragging to friends, you don't think she won't be bragging about this wonderful surprise for years afterwards? I think she'll get more enjoyment out of bragging about it being surprised on her when she shows up at the ship.

Archived