Flying to FLL I’ll let you know how it goes

nbsjcruiser

So, we’re firing from Fredericton to FLL via Toronto on WestJet this morning.

Did the antigen test on Friday at a local clinic for $75 - half price for what they’re charging at the airport. Filled out, printed and signed the US customs Attestation form indicating we have a negative antigen test.

Checked in online yesterday using the WestJet app. Attested that we’re vaccinated. 

Arrived at the airport 2 hours early as directed. Checked in my bags, the agent asked to see our antigen test. Didn’t ask to see our vax record. She said we already indicated we were vaxed when I checked in online so just have them if asked.

Waiting to board the flight to Toronto, I’ll let you know how it goes in Toronto. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

So, we’re firing from Fredericton to FLL via Toronto on WestJet this morning.

Did the antigen test on Friday at a local clinic for $75 - half price for what they’re charging at the airport. Filled out, printed and signed the US customs Attestation form indicating we have a negative antigen test.

Checked in online yesterday using the WestJet app. Attested that we’re vaccinated. 

Arrived at the airport 2 hours early as directed. Checked in my bags, the agent asked to see our antigen test. Didn’t ask to see our vax record. She said we already indicated we were vaxed when I checked in online so just have them if asked.

Waiting to board the flight to Toronto, I’ll let you know how it goes in Toronto. 

Have a great trip!  Thanks for your advice over the past few months.  Which cruise line are you taking?

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late response. We got in late yesterday and had some running to do to fill up the condo.

We landed in Toronto and headed to US Customs. Entered the secure area, scanned our boarding passes and then was directed to the waiting line. I asked about the Nexus line and was told it was closed. When I walked around the corner I saw about 100 people in line waiting to go through security. UGH! We have less than 90 mins to get to our next flight. Luckily they opened up the Nexus line shortly after we entered and we were able to jump the line. 

Reached the security line with the xray machines, was directed to take laptops out, shoes off, belts off etc. Nexus people are supposed to be able to skip all that but it every time I fly through Toronto it doesn't seem to matter. Anyway, once again we scanned our boarding passes and proceeded through the XRay.

Got to the other side, put our shoes on, laptops away and so on and then scanned our boarding passes yet again. We were then directed into waiting room #3. Once there we were told to wait until our name appeared on the screen. Eventually someone behind the desk asked if we had oversized luggage - we did, my golf bag. They were waiting for a picture of the golf bag. This didnt make any sense but anyway, eventually we were told we were free to go but we had to scan our QR code again (for the fourth time) and were directed to Room #2 where, drum roll please, we scanned our QR Code again and then scanned our passport into the Nexus/Trusted Traveller machine. It spit out a receipt and we headed to the US Customs guard. He took the receipts asked the usual questions - where you going, why, when will you be back and then waved us on. I asked if he needed our attestation forms (the ones indicating we had a negative test) and he said he didn't want it and he said he didnt want to see the negative test either.

So long story short - we showed proof of our negative test at check in on our first flight in Fredericton and that was it. We weren't asked for vaccination proof, negative test or attestation again. Go figure.

On 11/1/2021 at 6:47 AM, tert333 said:

Have a great trip!  Thanks for your advice over the past few months.  Which cruise line are you taking?

tks - no plans yet. We're here for 5 weeks. We'll see what transpires while we're here.

Hello.

Thanks again for the info. We are travelling to FLL from Ottawa via MTL on December 2nd . We don't have Nexus, so we'll be in regular US customs line in MTL. Just wondering if anyone out there has recently connected in MTL to go to FLL. We have done it in the past, and I assume that we will not need to retrieve our luggage prior to going through customs. Is this still the case? We have 2.5 hours to connect to our FLL flight.
Thank you.

jy

43 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Hello.

Thanks again for the info. We are travelling to FLL from Ottawa via MTL on December 2nd . We don't have Nexus, so we'll be in regular US customs line in MTL. Just wondering if anyone out there has recently connected in MTL to go to FLL. We have done it in the past, and I assume that we will not need to retrieve our luggage prior to going through customs. Is this still the case? We have 2.5 hours to connect to our FLL flight.
Thank you.

jy

Last time I flew through Montreal we did NOT have to retrieve luggage. That was in early 2020.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:00 PM, jy_cruisefan said:

Hello.

Thank you.

jy

I’m right after you on the 4th.   Originally booked direct but now changed to go through MTL.  I have 2 hrs 45 mins to pass through and no Nexus.   Hopefully it all works out.   Happy cruising

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, Evilmuffin said:

I’m right after you on the 4th.   Originally booked direct but now changed to go through MTL.  I have 2 hrs 45 mins to pass through and no Nexus.   Hopefully it all works out.   Happy cruising

On 11/2/2021 at 12:00 PM, jy_cruisefan said:

Hello.

Thank you.

jy

will be very interested to hear how it goes in Montreal - we are flying to FLL in January and I am trying hard to avoid connecting through Pearson and looking at flights through Montreal with a 2 hr layover.  Please keep us posted!  Thanks 🙂

My husband and I just came back from 2 week cruise out of FLL. 

We flew from YVR Vancouver to Edmonton to Toronto to FLL on Oct. 20.  And flew back FLL to YYZ to YVR yesterday Nov.3. 

Oct 20, the connection in Toronto was the worst part of the journey.

Nexus line did not help. Long, multiple lines, confusing, chaotic.  incompetent staff.

We barely made our connecting flight to FLL, with 2 hours layover. 

In contrast, flying back from FLL to Toronto to YVR, the journey could not be better! 

In FLL, if you have Nexus, TSA approved, the security reminded us of pre-2001 times!  We did not have to take out anything out of our carry on.  No lap top, no liquid items, no shoes removal. Just put our carryon luggage, backpack on the conveyor belt, and off we go!

We flew Air Canada.  Even if you had checked in online the day before, with boarding pass, we were required to see an Air Canada flight agent at the airport.  The agents will check our vaccine cards, as well as negative PCR test reports.

I think that is why no one at Toronto CBSA asked to see our test report. 

We also are required to submit information in ArriveCan app, which we did the day before.

Caution:  Make sure you have the correct app!  We know personally someone who got scammed by a look-like ArriveCan app!  He is tech savvy!

He was not only out of $, but also personal confidential information! 

Beware!  Double and triple check before you upload your personal info! 

Big red flag--Arrive Can will never ask for fees! 

Hope you all have a safe journey to your destinations!  Let's explore this wonderful world again! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 11/4/2021 at 5:03 PM, explore4ever said:

My husband and I just came back from 2 week cruise out of FLL. 

We flew from YVR Vancouver to Edmonton to Toronto to FLL on Oct. 20.  And flew back FLL to YYZ to YVR yesterday Nov.3. 

Oct 20, the connection in Toronto was the worst part of the journey.

Nexus line did not help. Long, multiple lines, confusing, chaotic.  incompetent staff.

We barely made our connecting flight to FLL, with 2 hours layover. 

In contrast, flying back from FLL to Toronto to YVR, the journey could not be better! 

In FLL, if you have Nexus, TSA approved, the security reminded us of pre-2001 times!  We did not have to take out anything out of our carry on.  No lap top, no liquid items, no shoes removal. Just put our carryon luggage, backpack on the conveyor belt, and off we go!

We flew Air Canada.  Even if you had checked in online the day before, with boarding pass, we were required to see an Air Canada flight agent at the airport.  The agents will check our vaccine cards, as well as negative PCR test reports.

I think that is why no one at Toronto CBSA asked to see our test report. 

We also are required to submit information in ArriveCan app, which we did the day before.

Caution:  Make sure you have the correct app!  We know personally someone who got scammed by a look-like ArriveCan app!  He is tech savvy!

Hope you all have a safe journey to your destinations!  Let's explore this wonderful world again! 

Thanks for the detailed update, very interesting..

We are looking at flights for an April TA , flying from Vancouver and would be interested to know if you flew in the day of or stayed overnight pre cruise in Lauderdale ??  We wouldn't normally  consider the day of but a little hesitant this time in leaving from Florida..

Any thoughts based on your recent experience ?

Thanks in advance

Julie

Edited by 3JCruiser

On 11/4/2021 at 8:03 PM, explore4ever said:

Hi,  The one I downloaded was Not big red flag.  Is this wrong one.  Now I am worry.

arrivecan-logo.jpg

8 minutes ago, TOCruisers said:

Hi,  The one I downloaded was Not big red flag.  Is this wrong one.  Now I am worry.

To be sure, just go to https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html  and press either the  'Apple App Store' or 'Google Play' radio button to try to download again. It'll become very apparent to you if you're attempting to download something that you already have on your phone.  If the download occurs without any indication that you already have the app, you might have reason to worry about the one you already have. 

On 11/7/2021 at 4:53 PM, lots-of-km2 said:

To be sure, just go to https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html  and press either the  'Apple App Store' or 'Google Play' radio button to try to download again. It'll become very apparent to you if you're attempting to download something that you already have on your phone.  If the download occurs without any indication that you already have the app, you might have reason to worry about the one you already have. 

Thank you.  That is what I got.  Sorry for the delay in response.    I could not find the thread where I posted my question.  LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 6:35 PM, Froufie said:

will be very interested to hear how it goes in Montreal - we are flying to FLL in January and I am trying hard to avoid connecting through Pearson and looking at flights through Montreal with a 2 hr layover.  Please keep us posted!  Thanks 🙂

I am not sure if anyone answered about connecting through Montreal to Florida. We just did this yesterday, originating in Ottawa to Montreal and then on to Fort Lauderdale. All Air Canada. The whole process was pretty easy. When we checked in online 24 hours prior on Wed. I uploaded our vaccine certificates but could not upload the negative test result as we could not get that done until Thurs in order to meet the 2 day negative test rule for the cruise ship. In any case in Ottawa or Montreal, where we went through Customs, not a single person asked us for anything other than our passports and boarding passes. U.S. customs was only slow because there was only maybe 3 agents working, otherwise it was really quiet. This was around 4:00 pm.

6 minutes ago, Kris75 said:

I am not sure if anyone answered about connecting through Montreal to Florida. We just did this yesterday, originating in Ottawa to Montreal and then on to Fort Lauderdale. All Air Canada. The whole process was pretty easy. When we checked in online 24 hours prior on Wed. I uploaded our vaccine certificates but could not upload the negative test result as we could not get that done until Thurs in order to meet the 2 day negative test rule for the cruise ship. In any case in Ottawa or Montreal, where we went through Customs, not a single person asked us for anything other than our passports and boarding passes. U.S. customs was only slow because there was only maybe 3 agents working, otherwise it was really quiet. This was around 4:00 pm.

Thanks for the update - I was also wondering about uploading the antigen test results - we won't have those done yet at the 24 hr check in time for AC so I guess we can either upload later/day of flight or bring the results with us!!! (and in the meantime I did find a direct flight day before so hoping that happens as scheduled!)

If we had digital copies of the negative test result we could have uploaded them onto Air Canada's website as we had a few hours before our first flight, but since we just got paper copies from SDM we just carried those. In case anyone is wondering that antigen test was also really easy and quick. The result form was digital if that is the word, nothing handwritten in.

• Like 1