9 days Explorer Eastern Carib vs 7 days Mariner Western?

AnthonyD

I put down a deposit on Mariner 7 days Western (jamaica, cozumel ect.). Now I see the price for the 9 day Explorer from NY to the eastern route is essentially the same price. It's my first time cruising and a honeymoon. Think 9 days is too much? How about too many days at sea in the rougher atlantic? I must admit, I'm attracted more to the Western route as it seems there are better excursions, but 2 extra days for the same money are tempting. Thanks for any advice.

Having just spent 21 days on Voyager, there is no such thing as too many days at sea!

If you do not have your heart set on a certain ship or itinerary, I'd switch in a second. It'll be your first cruise, but I bet it wont be your last. You'll see the other places eventually.

I would suggest 2 more days for the same price, you can't lose IMO. I am going on that 9 day EOS Eastern tour as well. Another thing, where are you? if your in NJ or NY area this sounds even better.

I'm currently living in Baltimore. We've got freebee airline tickets and freebee hotel points so the costs are about the same. I thought a few pre cruise days in Cocoa Beach might be nice. I have no idea if Cocoa Beach is enjoyable or worth coming in a few days early for.

Instead of the precruise stay, I might suggest you consider going B2B and book the 5 day Bermuda cruise. It's a great compliment to the 9 day Western Caribb.

Way out of my budget for now. Some day when I finish d-school I'll do stuff like that. Unless of course you're buying?

Anthony, I really highly suggest the 9 day cruise on Explorer, I personally guarantee you will be so happy you have 2 more days. The ship is the destination, the ports of call are the side attractions, you will love the days at sea, they're my favorite. 14 bars and lounges, 5 restaurants, trust me days at sea are the best part.

Anthony, I really highly suggest the 9 day cruise on Explorer, I personally guarantee you will be so happy you have 2 more days. The ship is the destination, the ports of call are the side attractions, you will love the days at sea, they're my favorite. 14 bars and lounges, 5 restaurants, trust me days at sea are the best part.

I understand your point, but if the cruises were both 9 days which route would you give it to? Which ports are more fun? San Juan for 5 hours seems like a throw off, except for El Morro which fantastic for touring.

Eastern:

San Juan, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Labadee

Western:

Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, Cozumel

Anthony

My family and I are considering the same two options as you. It does appear to be about the same price for the 7 day vs the 9 day comparing like category cabins.

The 7 day requires airfare (for us, 4) and the cost to get from Orlando (probably) to Port Canaveral. The Mariner seems like a slightly better ship and the itinerary might be a little better.

The 9 day out NJ will sail in the Atlantic for a few days but from what I have read and heard about, you probably won't feel much unless you encounter some really rough seas or you are susceptible to seasickness. A few people have commented that they actually liked the voyage up and down the Atlantic and it reminded them that they were actually on a ship and not in a hotel.

I have done a ton of research on these boards and we have decided that if pricing is equal we will probably go with the longer cruise. Also, I think it may be kinda cool to cruise out of the New York harbor.

One last thing about the 9 day itinerary. I really like that you get 2 days at sea to get you started, then you make your 4 port stops, and then you get to enjoy the last two days at sea on the way back.

One tip for you, use this board as often as possible. The information you can receive from here is incredible and probably save a lot of money and/or time.

Anthony

My family and I are considering the same two options as you. It does appear to be about the same price for the 7 day vs the 9 day comparing like category cabins.

The 7 day requires airfare (for us, 4) and the cost to get from Orlando (probably) to Port Canaveral. The Mariner seems like a slightly better ship and the itinerary might be a little better.

The 9 day out NJ will sail in the Atlantic for a few days but from what I have read and heard about, you probably won't feel much unless you encounter some really rough seas or you are susceptible to seasickness. A few people have commented that they actually liked the voyage up and down the Atlantic and it reminded them that they were actually on a ship and not in a hotel.

I have done a ton of research on these boards and we have decided that if pricing is equal we will probably go with the longer cruise. Also, I think it may be kinda cool to cruise out of the New York harbor.

One last thing about the 9 day itinerary. I really like that you get 2 days at sea to get you started, then you make your 4 port stops, and then you get to enjoy the last two days at sea on the way back.

One tip for you, use this board as often as possible. The information you can receive from here is incredible and probably save a lot of money and/or time.

The extra sea days seem really nice for enjoying the ship at a more leasurely pace. Still, you mentioned that Mariner is nicer than Explorer? Is there a big difference. I don't want cheeseyness if I go Explorer.

Anthony

From what I have seen and read (I have not been on either ship) the Mariner is a couple of years newer. They also have a "Chops" restaurant that the Explorer/Voyager does not have. All other things being equal I would choose the Mariner but I don't think it is a big difference. They are pretty much the same ship.

If you go to the website and look at the pictures and virtual tours of the two ships you can see that the Mariner is a little nicer, but not two days nicer.

Don;t take this a rude, but unless you are super anal then you may notice small minute things but they are the EXACT same ship, Explorer just doesnt have Chops and the balconies outward look is different, they are the same ship. Like i said already I GUARANTEE you will not regret having 2 more days of vacation, trust me.

Don;t take this a rude, but unless you are super anal then you may notice small minute things but they are the EXACT same ship, Explorer just doesnt have Chops and the balconies outward look is different, they are the same ship. Like i said already I GUARANTEE you will not regret having 2 more days of vacation, trust me.

I appreciate all the details. Once I'm on board, I won't let any details get in the way of having fun. I just want to make sure in general its as nice as Mariner and I think I won't be dissappointed.

2 extra days for the same money is a steal.

My family sailed Explorer 7nt western in January of 04 out of Miami. She is beautiful, 7 nights was not enough time to do and see everything on the ship and we missed Grand Cayman due to bad weather thereby gaining an extra sea day.

We Sailed Voyager 9nt out of bayonne October of 05. She is beautiful, 9 nights was not enough time to do everything on the ship even with the two extra sea days. and sailing on the Atlantic was not bad either.

These ships are fabulous. You will be thrilled either way. The best part of the 9nt for us was driving 1 hour to the port and being offically on vacation with two whole days to explore the ship. We will sail Explorer 9nt this October

imho save your air miles and free hotel for a weekend getaway a few months later the longer cruise is the way to go.

I understand your point, but if the cruises were both 9 days which route would you give it to? Which ports are more fun? San Juan for 5 hours seems like a throw off, except for El Morro which fantastic for touring.

Eastern:

San Juan, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Labadee

Western:

Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, Cozumel

I would be taking the eastern, especially since this is the one with the 2 more days. St.Martin and St.Thomas are 2 great ports and there is only one good port on the western, meaning Caymans. Both go to private island so that's a wash. Cozumel and Jamaica are definitely at the bottom of my list of best ports.

A VOTE here for Eastern 9 days Explorer. I think you honestly would enjoy the St.Thomas and St.Martin ports on honeymoon more then the others.

And as far as Coco Beach goes...not worth spending a few days before cruise, avg. age (no offense to older folks on here) is about 65. :)

I would be taking the eastern, especially since this is the one with the 2 more days. St.Martin and St.Thomas are 2 great ports and there is only one good port on the western, meaning Caymans. Both go to private island so that's a wash. Cozumel and Jamaica are definitely at the bottom of my list of best ports.

A VOTE here for Eastern 9 days Explorer. I think you honestly would enjoy the St.Thomas and St.Martin ports on honeymoon more then the others.

And as far as Coco Beach goes...not worth spending a few days before cruise, avg. age (no offense to older folks on here) is about 65. :)

Thanks for the detailed opinion and thanks to everyone else for sharing their views on the East vs West.

Is Jamaica really that bad as people say. I think most people are 50/50 on Jamaica but the strongest opinions are the negative ones.

Oh, one more thing...sea days? are you a big fan of the 2 extra sea days at the beginning and end of the trip? Have you ever departed NY? Most feel the ship ranks right up there with the best of the trip. thanks.

Oh, one more thing...sea days? are you a big fan of the 2 extra sea days at the beginning and end of the trip? Have you ever departed NY? Most feel the ship ranks right up there with the best of the trip. thanks.

I personally love the days at sea and so does DH, as we feel like that's the "part" of the vacation, because the port days seem to be more of the hussel and bussel...want to go here, got to be there, need to buy this, got to be back to get ready for dinner..DH and I have been cruising together since we were in early 20's and now in early 30's...still love days at sea. And the reason I say our age is so you'd know that days at sea are a FAV for the younger folks as well! :)

Let us know what you decide for your honeymoon! CONGRATS! :)

Thanks for the detailed opinion and thanks to everyone else for sharing their views on the East vs West.

Is Jamaica really that bad as people say. I think most people are 50/50 on Jamaica but the strongest opinions are the negative ones.

We went to Jamaica last July and just loved it. The people were warm and friendly. Okay sometimes too friendly because they depend upon you buying but a strong no thanks is all it takes. Take an excursion with a local and you will enjoy Jamaica. We went with Phil LaFayette. Go to the Jamaica board and you will get plenty of ideas.

Congrats on the switch. By the time I got to the end of the posts my comments were already covered. We are on Explorer in July from NY as we were on the 9-day western with Voyager last summer and enjoyed it.

The days at sea were for me the most relaxing and enjoyable times of the trip. I did enjoy the excursions but these is something special about the sea days when you can just lounge around, have a drink, and gaze at the wonders of the ocean.

Archived