For those who have sailed out of Tampa....

harrypotter01

My husband and I are thinking about booking a 5 night cruise in January.  It will be our 2nd NCL cruise - we LOVED our first one.  It sails out of Tampa, stops at Key West and their private island, for 5 nights on the Dawn.  I've only cruised out of Orlando in the past.  Can anyone tell me how close the terminal is to the Tampa airport?  And, is there a good hotel recommendation near either the airport or the terminal?  

Also open to thoughts or opinions on the Dawn and that itinerary.  It's just the 2 of us, we don't want anything longer than 5 nights for this cruise, and we're looking for something very laid back and low key.  Just soaking up some sun and enjoying the ship.  

Thanks!

I have not cruised out of Tampa myself, but I do live in Tampa.  The airport isn't far from the cruise terminal, and it's highway most of the way.  Should only take 15-20 minutes if there isn't heavy traffic.

As for hotels, there are plenty of options both near the airport and downtown (near cruise terminal).  There has been a lot of new construction downtown in the past couple of years including some new hotels (JW Marriott and Hyatt Place to name a couple).  The cruise port is also near the hockey arena, so you may want to be aware if there is a game or concert the night you'll be staying.  

• Like 1

We've cruised out of Tampa several times.   The airport isn't that far away from the cruise terminal.  We always fly in at least a day early and like to stay in the cruise port area.  There are several hotels that offer complimentary shuttles to/from the airport and to/from the cruise port.  Last time we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites, which included airport and cruise port transfers and free breakfast.

• Like 1

We've sailed out of Tampa several times.  Tampa does have an occasional issue with fog, and ships both in and out being delayed.  Otherwise, very nice port.  The Dawn is one of the smaller NCL ships, that is, not one of the mega ships.  For my wife and myself, we prefer the smaller class of ships.  The Dawn had a wonderful crew last time we sailed her just before the shut down.  Reference Key West, last I heard it was still iffy as to whether Key West was going to permit cruise ship again.   I like the private island for a few hours of stopping.  The food is free on the island (they set up a buffet) and if you have the drink package, it is covered on the island.  Unfortunately, Great Stirrip Cay is a tender stop.  Frequently, the wind and waves don't permit tendering and the the ship can't stop there.  I don't know what the percentage is, but pretty high.  However, for a 5 day cruise, just hanging out on the ship, eating and drinking isn't all that bad.  

• Like 2

went out of Tampa many times.  Always fly in a day early.  Easy taxi/uber drive from airport to hotels close by the terminal, and most hotels have a shuttle to the Port.  We have stayed right in the port area, as there are a few new hotels, an aquarium, and a WWII liberty (?) ship you can walk to.  We have also stayed in Ybor city, which is a great place for nightlife and such.  Kind of an old school Tampa/FL vibe.  And we have also stayed along the riverwalk.  All good options.

• Like 1

We've sailed out of Tampa years ago.  We flew in 2 days earlier, rented a car to go to Crystal River to swim with manatees in morning, then drift diver or snorkel in Rainbow River.  Then stayed in Tampa the night before embarking the ship.  The cruise terminal is right at downtown, with lots of restaurants/hotels.

On disembarkation day, we toured the aquarium right by the cruise terminal, before getting to the airport for flight out.

• Like 1