Additional updates to the Key?

Chrissit

Don’t think I’ve seen this posted yet - did a quick search so apologies is this is a dupe, but it looks like there have been additional updates to the key program per the email we got this afternoon. most of the text from that email is below - we are sailing on the Freedom here shortly.

Dear Guest,

We're excited to share that our Welcome Lunch, featuring Chops Grille has been brought back to The Key! We hope you look forward to enjoying your exclusive lunch which will take place in the Main Dining Room between 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM! Additionally, as we previously shared, you'll receive a 25% discount for onboard dining purchases, plus complimentary room service! And, our private debarkation á la carte breakfast is back, replacing the "grab and go" breakfast option. Now, enjoy a more relaxed breakfast experience before heading off the ship.

Here's what you can expect on your upcoming sailing:

• Early access at the terminal.*
  • Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 3 by 2:00 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom. 
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille® menu (open from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM). We recommend arriving to the terminal no later than 11:30 AM for you to have enough time to enjoy lunch with us!
  • Complimentary room service for your entire cruise, along with 25% off all onboard dining purchases! 
  • Private time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc. 
  • Priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports.
  • Early access at shows in the Main Theater on Deck 4, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book once you're onboard!
  • VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest).
  • On debarkation day, enjoy a private á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*Please arrive at the terminal between 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM. If you are not able to make the early access window, you should arrive within your appointment time and will receive priority access into the terminal.

Lastly, when you arrive to the port for your sailing, please locate The Key signage for priority access into the terminal and make your way onto the ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chrissit said:

Don’t think I’ve seen this posted yet - did a quick search so apologies is this is a dupe, but it looks like there have been additional updates to the key program per the email we got this afternoon. most of the text from that email is below - we are sailing on the Freedom here shortly.

Dear Guest,

We're excited to share that our Welcome Lunch, featuring Chops Grille has been brought back to The Key! We hope you look forward to enjoying your exclusive lunch which will take place in the Main Dining Room between 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM! Additionally, as we previously shared, you'll receive a 25% discount for onboard dining purchases, plus complimentary room service! And, our private debarkation á la carte breakfast is back, replacing the "grab and go" breakfast option. Now, enjoy a more relaxed breakfast experience before heading off the ship.

• Early access at the terminal.*
  • Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 3 by 2:00 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom. 
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille® menu (open from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM). We recommend arriving to the terminal no later than 11:30 AM for you to have enough time to enjoy lunch with us!
  • Complimentary room service for your entire cruise, along with 25% off all onboard dining purchases! 
  • Private time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc. 
  • Priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports.
  • Early access at shows in the Main Theater on Deck 4, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book once you're onboard!
  • VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest).
  • On debarkation day, enjoy a private á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*Please arrive at the terminal between 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM. If you are not able to make the early access window, you should arrive within your appointment time and will receive priority access into the terminal.

Lastly, when you arrive to the port for your sailing, please locate The Key signage for priority access into the terminal and make your way onto the ship.

im key and haven’t received that email -nice to see the lunch and room service together.

What month are you sailing ? TIA

Edited by Maitaivegas

53 minutes ago, Chrissit said:

^ ^ ^

This is exactly what I’ve been told over the phone, by two different reps, on two different calls, more than a week apart. And, surprise, that’s not what’s on my Cruise Planner on their website (which they both admitted was incorrect data).

Which why I posted on another thread to call in and not just go by what you’re seeing on the website,  especially if The Key was purchased prior to October 28th.  

😎

I’ve never been on Royal before but it’s telling me I can’t buy the Key online, I can only do it aboard. 

I was liking the free room service thing, it would pretty much pay for itself. Do you still have to pay Gratuities for the $7.95 room service charge?

anyone know what time room service goes till?

8 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

I’ve never been on Royal before but it’s telling me I can’t buy the Key online, I can only do it aboard. 

The one consistency I’ve found in all of the descriptions of The Key, and the benefits and services that it offers, is this:

“The Key Pass Package (“Package”) applies to purchases made via Cruise Planner prior to cruise departure.”

You might want to call them to tell them that, and ask if you can purchase it over the phone since it’s not showing up in your cruise planner.

26 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

I was liking the free room service thing, it would pretty much pay for itself. Do you still have to pay Gratuities for the $7.95 room service charge?

anyone know what time room service goes till?

Yes, you still want to tip the staff person that brings you room service a few bucks even if there is a surcharge. 👍

According to the Cruise Planners we are currently seeing from Anthem of the Seas, and I assume this is fleet wide, room service is 24/7 starting on the second day, with a later start time on Day 1 of the cruise. 😁

It was mentioned in a previous thread that room service delivery of alcohol is not included, even if you have a drink package, unless it’s specifically on the room service menu.

😎

Edited by matt1

12 minutes ago, matt1 said:

Yes, you still want to tip the staff person that brings you room service a few bucks even if there is a surcharge. 👍

According to the Cruise Planners we are currently seeing from Anthem of the Seas, and I assume this is fleet wide, room service is 24/7 starting on the second day, with a later start time on Day 1 of the cruise. 😁

It was mentioned in a previous thread that room service delivery of alcohol is not included, even if you have a drink package, unless it’s specifically on the room service menu.

😎

Daaaayyyaaamnnn huh? Cruise lines Always gotta be puttin some limitations on sh#% just enough to make it not fun😞 thanks for letting me know. 

• Like 1

It's worth noting that the addition of room service and a discount on specialty dining is NOT a permanent change to The Key (at least, not yet).

Originally, they took away the Chops embarkation lunch and debarkation breakfast due to COVID protocols, so they added the room service / specialty dining.  Now that they're bringing back Chops and breakfast, they won't be offering the room service and specialty dining extras.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, brillohead said:

It's worth noting that the addition of room service and a discount on specialty dining is NOT a permanent change to The Key (at least, not yet).

Originally, they took away the Chops embarkation lunch and debarkation breakfast due to COVID protocols, so they added the room service / specialty dining.  Now that they're bringing back Chops and breakfast, they won't be offering the room service and specialty dining extras.

Actually, @brillohead, that's exactly what they're doing in the "hybrid" version that's being offered on Freedom now (for @Chrissit's and my cruises, anyway).  I'm sure it's not a permanent change -- but they are still offering both the Chops Embarkation Lunch/Separate Debarkation Breakfast AND the fee-free room service and 25% discount on onboard dining purchases.  Of course, it's always subject to change, I'm sure.  But for now, for me, it's a great deal!

1 hour ago, IRMO12HD said:

Actually, @brillohead, that's exactly what they're doing in the "hybrid" version that's being offered on Freedom now (for @Chrissit's and my cruises, anyway).  I'm sure it's not a permanent change -- but they are still offering both the Chops Embarkation Lunch/Separate Debarkation Breakfast AND the fee-free room service and 25% discount on onboard dining purchases.  Of course, it's always subject to change, I'm sure.  But for now, for me, it's a great deal!

You misunderstood what I was saying.

The "hybrid" is ONLY for people who purchased The Key and were told they weren't getting Chops/breakfast so they'd get room service/specialty discount instead.  Now that they're reinstating Chops/breakfast, they're going to also honor the room service/specialty discount but ONLY FOR THAT SPECIFIC GROUP that got caught in the in-between stage.

But people who purchase The Key NOW for a future cruise aren't going to get Chops/breakfast AND room service/specialty discount.... unless Royal at some point decides to change the program. 

Someone reading this thread now and going to purchase The Key should be aware that for them, the program only includes the Chops/breakfast, but NOT the room service/specialty discount.

• Like 1

Just now, brillohead said:

The "hybrid" is ONLY for people who purchased The Key and were told they weren't getting Chops/breakfast so they'd get room service/specialty discount instead.  Now that they're reinstating Chops/breakfast, they're going to also honor the room service/specialty discount but ONLY FOR THAT SPECIFIC GROUP that got caught in the in-between stage.

But people who purchase The Key NOW for a future cruise aren't going to get Chops/breakfast AND room service/specialty discount.... unless Royal at some point decides to change the program. 

Someone reading this thread now and going to purchase The Key should be aware that for them, the program only includes the Chops/breakfast, but NOT the room service/specialty discount.

Got it -- you're absolutely right!  My mistake; thanks for clarifying so well. In this case, though, even if new purchases of The Key don't include the "hybrid" benefits, it's still a good deal at $17.99/day -- right now, it's $0.40 less per day than the Voom 1-Device.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

Actually, this is an excellent point.

We, when we purchased, bought the originally Key which I 100% expected to be cancelled based on everything that I was reading online. 

Somewhere in the disaster that is my inbox, we have the second email which announced the changes to the Key program including the stripping away of the lunch, actual early arrival and adding the room service fee waiver along with the dining discount. 

So we are caught in that group - and I hadn’t considered that this might be a one off thing when I got this communication. I’m perfectly happy with this version of the Key but see where it might be a one off for those of us caught in the transition. 

I do hope they keep it as this is a very nice package now.

And yes, we may cross paths next week as we’re sailing on Monday. 🙂 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, matt1 said:

^ ^ ^

This is exactly what I’ve been told over the phone, by two different reps, on two different calls, more than a week apart. And, surprise, that’s not what’s on my Cruise Planner on their website (which they both admitted was incorrect data).

Which why I posted on another thread to call in and not just go by what you’re seeing on the website,  especially if The Key was purchased prior to October 28th.  

😎

Any chance that you had bought before they changed it and/or are on the Freedom? 

@brilloheadmakes an excellent point that this could be for those of us caught in the transition phase and they are honoring (really nicely) what they promised while taking it back to it’s original state. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chrissit said:

Any chance that you had bought before they changed it and/or are on the Freedom? 

@brilloheadmakes an excellent point that this could be for those of us caught in the transition phase and they are honoring (really nicely) what they promised while taking it back to it’s original state. 

I’m booked on Anthem of the Seas. Not sure why I’m getting contradictory info, but the last rep said that “the onboard personnel would know by the date it was purchased”. (shrugs) 

🤔

16 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Got it -- you're absolutely right!  My mistake; thanks for clarifying so well. In this case, though, even if new purchases of The Key don't include the "hybrid" benefits, it's still a good deal at $17.99/day -- right now, it's $0.40 less per day than the Voom 1-Device.

That's exactly why I purchased it -- it was cheaper than Voom, and I'm cruising solo so I only needed to purchase one!

I don't use any of the other Key benefits (Flowrider and rock climbing private session, etc.), but cheaper internet was the clincher for me!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chrissit said:

Actually, this is an excellent point.

We, when we purchased, bought the originally Key which I 100% expected to be cancelled based on everything that I was reading online. 

Somewhere in the disaster that is my inbox, we have the second email which announced the changes to the Key program including the stripping away of the lunch, actual early arrival and adding the room service fee waiver along with the dining discount. 

So we are caught in that group - and I hadn’t considered that this might be a one off thing when I got this communication. I’m perfectly happy with this version of the Key but see where it might be a one off for those of us caught in the transition. 

I do hope they keep it as this is a very nice package now.

And yes, we may cross paths next week as we’re sailing on Monday. 🙂 

I could have basically written your post!  I originally purchased it b/c it was cheaper than just Voom, and I also half-expected them to cancel it. 

When they announced the free Room Service and the grab-and-go baggie, I was disappointed to be losing out on Chops lunch in the MDR (the Windjammer is SUCH a cluster-eff on embarkation day!), but figured this would be a good chance for me to try out the room service items I'm normally too frugal ("cheap!") to order.  Since I'm not getting off the ship in Nassau, a room service lunch on my balcony might be a nice experience.

I was actually kinda looking forward to my grab-and-go baggie, because I have time to kill in Miami before I can check into my hotel (going on Symphony the next day), and it would be nice to have some snacks in the meantime.  But I'll gladly give up my morning snacks to be back in the MDR for Chops lunch on embarkation day!!!!

I'm very pleasantly surprised that they're still honoring the free room service now that they've brought Chops and debarkation breakfast back.  It's a smart move -- something that will cost them very little money, but will create a feeling of goodwill for the affected customers.  

Maybe they'll get so much good feedback about it, they'll alter the program going forward to include it. (hint hint, mention it in your post-cruise survey!)  Under normal circumstances, The Key just isn't financially reasonable, but adding room service makes it less of an extreme luxury.

And yes, @Chrissit, if you see a fat short lady with frizzy red hair in the Solarium (my happy place!), please feel free to come up and say hi!!!  I love meeting fellow CCers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1