COVID Approved Private SCUBA Excursions

gmerick

Has anyone else looked up booking a non-cruise shio (RCL in my case) shore excursion for SCUBA?  The COVID advisory terms by RCL state I must take a tour to get off the ship, but the terms for Vax'ed passengers say "will require tours for all guests", while the non-Vax'ed protocol says "must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean".  I've been in communication with local dive operators on Barbados, St Lucia and St Kitts.  All indicate they are working with their respective governments to comply with the requirements for COVID-Safe tours.  I'm hoping some fellow cruising SCUBA enthusiasts have real-world experiences to offer.  I've dived on all 3 islands before, and would like repeat trips, as these are great people, fantastic dive sites, and they need our business.

Alas, on the islands that are requiring ship-sponsored excursions, there are no exceptions for excursions through other operators.  In early October, St. Lucia and St. Kitts both had this requirement, and Barbados did as well, then cancelled us altogether as did Grenada.  Like you, I know reputable, safe dive operators on each island, but they were not allowed to conduct dives (or anything else) with cruise ship passengers.

To be clear these are restrictions placed by the various governments, not by the cruise lines.  The good news is they can change at any time; just like pretty much all the protocols in place for cruising at this time. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI, things have apparently changed a bit since the last response. I just got off a ship, dived in Roatan with a private operator. No problem with booking, transportation etc. Most people in Mexico and Roatan were wearing masks and following protocols most of the time.

Edited by mac66

Good info to know. I'm going to all those islands in March 2022.  Had a 12 day booked and canceled twice. Just got an email back from St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventure that they are booking private dives. It's who we booked through we the cruise was canceled the first time.   Would like to get in at least three dives.

Our cruise goes to:

St. Croix

St. Ktts

Barbadoes

St. Lucia

Granada

Dominica instead of St. Vincent

Antigua

I highly recommend Aqua Marine Dive shop in St Thomas. My husband and I been working with them for over 10 years. Ana and Wolfgang are the best. They take great care of you regardless of experience. They certified me for my open water certification and both the advanced and rescue diver certification for my husband. Everyone that works with them is great too. If you book tell them Gail and Matt referred you!

On 12/10/2021 at 8:39 PM, gschwartz001 said:

I highly recommend Aqua Marine Dive shop in St Thomas. My husband and I been working with them for over 10 years. Ana and Wolfgang are the best. They take great care of you regardless of experience. They certified me for my open water certification and both the advanced and rescue diver certification for my husband. Everyone that works with them is great too. If you book tell them Gail and Matt referred you!

Thanks, I'll look them up