Manulife Cruise Insurance for Quarantine and Interuption is a Go!!

Diane67B

10 hours ago, CSAU said:

Is everyone getting this insurance way ahead of sailing date or few days before the trip?  With so many uncertainties including the new variance, I am debating whether to get it now or 2-week from now. 

Because this is medical insurance while away, you don’t need to purchase now. Im Waiting the week before my trip in case I have to cancel my cruise.  Medical insurance is usually non refundable. 

11 hours ago, CSAU said:

Is everyone getting this insurance way ahead of sailing date or few days before the trip?  With so many uncertainties including the new variance, I am debating whether to get it now or 2-week from now. 

Most travel insurance policies provide coverage for trip cancellation and trip interruption, although currently few will cover you for COVID-related cancellation or interruption. The advantage of purchasing insurance early, not just a few days before the trip, is that should you slip on a patch of ice and break your leg a week or two before the cruise, you'd be covered.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:27 AM, leafsfancanada said:

When purchasing this insurance through Manulife are you choosing an International plan for a Caribbean cruise?

LOL -- I was thinking the same. I picked international, cost the same.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:08 AM, DHP1 said:

Thank you. There so much to read these days I must have miss this one.  Now if Manulife state cruises are now covered on there website, I will probably buy there travel insurance through Costco. 

I have read on the Manulife Covid Coverage that if there is an active travel advisory, which we do have they will not cover you on your cruise.  Please clarify if I am incorrect on that.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, Fouremco said:

Most travel insurance policies provide coverage for trip cancellation and trip interruption, although currently few will cover you for COVID-related cancellation or interruption. The advantage of purchasing insurance early, not just a few days before the trip, is that should you slip on a patch of ice and break your leg a week or two before the cruise, you'd be covered.

When I looked, I had to buy regular cancellation insurance within 48 hours of booking my trip.  That was long past.  So now I am waiting until the week before to buy the COVID specific trip interruption insurance. 

ETA - sorry, that was for Cancel for Any Reason insurance. 

Edited by 1kaper

1 hour ago, sunnydelyght said:

I have read on the Manulife Covid Coverage that if there is an active travel advisory, which we do have they will not cover you on your cruise.  Please clarify if I am incorrect on that.

If you download the policy, there is a new first page that was added recently that modifies the wording and has exceptions that adds back in cruises as long as you are vaccinated.

The exception that was added to the "avoid all travel" exclusion is:

Exception: This exclusion does not apply for claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary if you have received the vaccine. Children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, are covered when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

Before I ring to check - does anyone know what this new travel advisory, warning against non-essential travel means for current/existing policies - I have the COVID and the Cancellation policies... (I only bought the cancellation policy today - a few hours before the new advisory came into effect so might need to check on validity of that one too... )

19 minutes ago, tafawke said:

Before I ring to check - does anyone know what this new travel advisory, warning against non-essential travel means for current/existing policies - I have the COVID and the Cancellation policies... (I only bought the cancellation policy today - a few hours before the new advisory came into effect so might need to check on validity of that one too... )

It will vary with the company, I expect. For those that provided COVID-related coverage earlier in the year when the previous advisory was in place, I imagine no change. Those companies that did not provide coverage while the earlier advisory was in place may revert to that position. My best advice is to contact your company to verify.

34 minutes ago, tafawke said:

I believe it will be voided, unfortunately. 

We haven't purchased the insurance but don't want to leave it to speculation. I know we won't be covered under company travel insurance, credit card travel insurance due to travel advisory and just can't risk relying on one ambitious Covid insurance policy now. 

Edited by CSAU

Any expenses due to an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada stating "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your departure date.

Does this mean they won't cover us?  Because the travel advisory is to "avoid non essential travel" not "avod all travel"? Or am I splitting hairs?

11 hours ago, xcell said:

Any expenses due to an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada stating "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your departure date.

Does this mean they won't cover us?  Because the travel advisory is to "avoid non essential travel" not "avod all travel"? Or am I splitting hairs?

I'm trying to call.... 2 hours last night on hold before their office closed... we have to fly Saturday so need to know for sure so can make an informed decision

8 hours ago, tafawke said:

I'm trying to call.... 2 hours last night on hold before their office closed... we have to fly Saturday so need to know for sure so can make an informed decision

Did you find out?

• Thanks 1

I think every one is overwhelmed by the "advisory"... Tried to call because when I check online I can see brief version of my coverage but not the long explanation.  Anyone else having that issue?   I'm heading out tomorrow (supposedly) ....

With Regards to Manulife.... I did wait on hold for 2 hours but once they picked up I was able to clarify that YES you will still be covered for COVID (if purchased that plan) with a 'Travel Advisory'.  If it changes to a 'Travel Ban' PRIOR to your coverage beginning you will NOT be covered.

If it changes to 'Travel Ban' mid trip, you are still covered for the insurance period purchased.

So as of now, all insurance remains instated.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 5:32 AM, jpom18 said:

From princess site:

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you will be reimbursed for expenses for COVID-related medical care, including those incurred during any medically required post-disembarkation quarantine period. This includes air change fees if onward travel plans need to change.
  • We’ll designate a Dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until you or the member of your immediate travel party is medically cleared to travel home.
  • Any shoreside meals will be covered by a daily meal allowance, which you’ll learn about from the family assistance coordinator when you disembark. (No receipts required.)
  • We’ll also offer assistance opening COVID-related insurance claims (for those who are eligible under their insurance policies or travel protection plans).

Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home?
Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

This indicates to me that Princess will cover hotel, food, etc. cost (to a certain extent) if you test positive upon disembarking and have to quarantine before heading home.

Hoping they extend this as right now its only for cruises leaving before April 30th..we sail 1st May !

We will be adding the Covid Cover me regardless..also looking at TUGO

Lots of great information in this thread, thanks to everyone for contributing 🙂

12 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

With Regards to Manulife.... I did wait on hold for 2 hours but once they picked up I was able to clarify that YES you will still be covered for COVID (if purchased that plan) with a 'Travel Advisory'.  If it changes to a 'Travel Ban' PRIOR to your coverage beginning you will NOT be covered.

If it changes to 'Travel Ban' mid trip, you are still covered for the insurance period purchased.

As far as I know, the GOC does not ban travel by Canadians. Their highest level advisory, to AVOID ALL TRAVEL to specific a specific country is accompanied by the statement:

The decision to travel is your choice and you are responsible for your personal safety abroad. We take the safety and security of Canadians abroad very seriously and provide credible and timely information in our Travel Advice to enable you to make well-informed decisions regarding your travel abroad.

With that thought in mind, did the Manulife rep indicate what constitutes a "Travel Ban" from the company's perspective? 

11 hours ago, Roxxy said:

perfect thanks!  I just bought the policy yesterday and read all the fine print, good to hear that verbally.