Non-drinkers welcome?

Captain Carl

I am looking for some advice on whether SeaDream is likely to be a good fit for my wife and I. We are considering another try at cruising after our first two cruises in the 80's were not our cup of tea. Since then, we have been to the BVI four times, three of which were on our own on bareboat sailboat charters. We would like to visit the southern Caribbean but don't feel competent to sail the longer distances there by ourselves and can't afford a crewed charter. When I saw some of the SD itineraries I almost wept for joy. They visit the same type of off-the-beaten path places we enjoyed so much in the BVI. Then I saw the marina off the back of the ship and I knew I had found what I was looking for.

Our favorite activities in the BVI are our daily snorkel(s), listening to island tunes while breathing in the ocean air, or relaxing with a book on the beach or boat. It looks like SD checks these boxes. The bicycles onboard seal the deal!

My biggest concern is that at least one of the SD reviews did not recommend SD for non-drinkers (like us). Does that mean we'll have to bring earplugs to escape the drunken revelry, or just that the drinkers will have a better time than us and/or we'll be paying for something that we don't take advantage of? 

A lesser concern is that my expectations for the activities might not match up with the way things work. I understand that the marina may be unavailable due to weather conditions or port restrictions. 
- How many days can I expect marina activities to be unavailable in a week's cruise?
- Is snorkeling directly off the marina, or do you have to get a shuttle/excursion to the prime snorkeling spots (included or extra charge)?

My apologies to anyone who was checking this to see if SD was being nasty to non-drinkers. I'd like to change the topic to something less provocative, like "Questions from a Non-drinker", but I'm new to CruiseCritic and don't know if that's easy to do. 🤔

Of course every cruise is different for different people but SD could suit you very well. Relaxing with a book looking out at an off-the-beaten-path island is exactly the way I like to spend my day.  For the island tunes, earbuds by the pool as it's nice and quiet so you can hear the water against the ship.

Some start the morning with mimosas and continue on as they began the day.  I generally don't drink alcohol until sundown, but it's not a hard rule.  I'm sure some don't drink at all.  None of these choices has ever been an issue.

Alcohol is extremely available.  And on offer.  As is tons of food.  I suppose some of us are subsidizing other's drinking but I've never felt cheated.  

The marina availability varies with islands who allow/don't allow it and always the weather. When the marina is down it's not great snorkeling.  That would be independently arranged or on an extra-cost excursion. 

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

As for your second question, fpebbles' answer is spot on.  It is hard to predict when the marina is down.  In many cases, it is because of the weather, and that is sometimes governed by the time of year.  You don't really see people snorkeling off the marina as the water is generally very deep at that point.  We have enjoyed most of the snorkeling excursions arranged by SD.  Sometimes it is to a beach, and sometimes it is off a catamaran.  Depending upon where you are, there may be beaches where you can snorkel on your own.  We bring out own snorkels, masks and vests, and use their fins (which saves luggage space).

I wouldn't characterize us as drinkers, but we also aren't abstainers.  We will do a cocktail in the lounge before dinner, and have an after dinner drink in the TOY Bar, if we can stay up that late.  In 20 years of sailing with SD, I can say we have never found the drinkers to affect our enjoyment of the cruise.  Our observation is that people on all-inclusive cruises generally drink less than those who are paying.  On some of those cruises, people buy drink packages and really work hard to get their money's worth.  They try to beat the break-even point.  Bottom line, it is there if you want it, but nobody looks askance if you don't.  I will sometimes go to cocktails and have seltzer and a lime.  It isn't about the booze.

You sound like people who will really enjoy SD.  Go for it.

• Like 1

We've been on 14 SD cruises, all in the Caribbean (which we obviously love!),  and have never been bothered by any drunken revelry.  I'm sure it has happened to some, but not us, for sure. This is not Carnival, mostly older (and wiser) passengers, and few are there "to get their money's worth".  As Trapper said "it isn't about the booze". (Though the TOY bar is a delight).

It sounds like you would love the out-of-the-way places SD can go to, ie. Bequi, Mayreau, Saba, Canoan, Isle des Santes, etc. I think that most snorkeling seems to be done on excursions.  

If reading a book and listening to your music is your thing you'll be fine on SD.  There are no daily trivia  games, activities (there is daily yoga in the library), bands playing, etc. You mostly do your own thing.  SD is about the crew (fabulous), destinations, comfort and camaraderie.

I think you'd like SD.

Thank you all for your assurances. I feel much more comfortable about cruising with SD now.

As for the snorkeling, I guess I'll play it by ear. When we sailed in the BVI, we always had an itinerary for the daily stops at the start of the trip. We'd manage to hit most of the stops, but never followed the plan to a tee. On SD, I suspect I'll head out with expectations for lots of snorkeling, but end up either staying aboard stuffing my face with food, or wandering around some interesting islands, or .....

Cabosal forget to mention it is about the food, too.  One other thing about snorkeling, or any other type of excursions for that matter.  Ideally, we won't be restricted to doing "bubble" excursions, so you can go off by yourselves.  I would caution, though, if you book a private snorkeling trip, don't put down any money that is nonrefundable.  Itineraries are subject to last minute changes, often based upon weather and/or sea conditions.  Safety is a primary factor, and SD will not drop anchor unless passengers can get on and off the tender safely.  I remember one gentleman who was being met by a driver to take him golfing on Anguilla, but it wasn't safe to anchor on one side of the island.  He called the driver to pick him up on the other side, but it turned out the seas were too rough there, too.  So we ended up with an extra day at St. Barts.  It happens.  Believe me, there are worse things than being stuck on the yacht.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 11:24 AM, Captain Carl said:

I am looking for some advice on whether SeaDream is likely to be a good fit for my wife and I. We are considering another try at cruising after our first two cruises in the 80's were not our cup of tea. Since then, we have been to the BVI four times, three of which were on our own on bareboat sailboat charters. We would like to visit the southern Caribbean but don't feel competent to sail the longer distances there by ourselves and can't afford a crewed charter. When I saw some of the SD itineraries I almost wept for joy. They visit the same type of off-the-beaten path places we enjoyed so much in the BVI. Then I saw the marina off the back of the ship and I knew I had found what I was looking for.

Our favorite activities in the BVI are our daily snorkel(s), listening to island tunes while breathing in the ocean air, or relaxing with a book on the beach or boat. It looks like SD checks these boxes. The bicycles onboard seal the deal!

My biggest concern is that at least one of the SD reviews did not recommend SD for non-drinkers (like us). Does that mean we'll have to bring earplugs to escape the drunken revelry, or just that the drinkers will have a better time than us and/or we'll be paying for something that we don't take advantage of? 

A lesser concern is that my expectations for the activities might not match up with the way things work. I understand that the marina may be unavailable due to weather conditions or port restrictions. 
- How many days can I expect marina activities to be unavailable in a week's cruise?
- Is snorkeling directly off the marina, or do you have to get a shuttle/excursion to the prime snorkeling spots (included or extra charge)?

We don’t drink and had a great time.  People have (some) class-it’s not a drunken brawl.

• Like 1