Confused - Price Increrase after Deposit

kyriecat

Hello,

I have never cruised Celebrity, although I have cruised with RC several times. I was interested in a Celebrity cruise and requested a brochure. The brochure text has me confused:

All voyage prices printed in this brochure are subject to change without notice. However, if you have paid for your voyage in full as of the time of the change, such price changes will not apply to your booking.

On RC cruises, if the prices goes up after you have paid your deposit, you are still locked into the original price. The statement in the Celebrity brochure sounds like they can change the price at any time and unless you have already paid in full, you are liable for any price increase.

I tried calling Celebrity but the rep told me that she cannot answer my question without my booking number but I don't have a booking number. I don't want to book the cruise and find out I owe more that I thought when the final payment is due.

I suppose the alternative is to pay for the entire cruise fare upfront, but I don't want to tie up that much money for over a year before my cruise leaves. It would take all of this year's vacation fund and I already have the money earmarked for trips this year.

Has anyone been charged more money than expected for their cruise when the final payment came due? Is it standard practice on Celebrity cruises to pay the entire fare upfront to avoid price increases later? I've never been on a cruise where the price did not increase as sail date got closer, several times the price has increased 2-3 times what I booked at. I don't want to find out my cruise had doubled in price when final payment was due and have to cancel.

Kyriecat,

I'm not sure what brochure you saw but once you've put a deposit down on a cruise, you're protected against price increases. Here's the relevant language from the Celebrity web site FAQ:

"We reserve the right to increase prices without prior notice; however, if you have confirmed your reservation with a deposit, or if you have already made your final payment, your price will be protected."

I am quoting from the Xpedition Galapagos Is. cruise brochure 2006-2007. I am used to the price being locked when you send your deposit, which is why I was confused by the brochure language. It says nothing about the deposit protecting the price, only final payment.

The only reference to price changes on my confirmation from Celebrity for our Nov. 2006 Xpedition Cruise is:

If your price should decrease prior to your final payment date, we can easily match the new price. If the price should decrease on or after your final payment date - the new price may or may not be applicable as some of our price programs are restricted and valid for new bookings only."

There is no mention of price increases, so I'm assuming that I'm locked into this price, or a lower one as per above.

We always book early and often the price changes many times before final payment is due. We have never paid more than price at time of deposit and have always had lowest price honored if price goes down. I'm guessing that if you do not know your booking number you booked through a TA. They should be able to answer all your questions. They can also give you your booking number.

Actually, I didn't book yet. I was reading through the brochure that I received on the Galapagos cruise and found the statement that I quoted above on pg. 21. I saw the prices online are currently $2500 pp for the date that I wanted but have gone up to $3750 pp for some of the other dates. Since the way I read that was Celebrity can change their prices until final payment is made, I thought the cruise that I booked at $5k could reach $7.5k or higher by the time I make my final payment. That was more than I had budgeted.

I didn't want to make a reservation just to get a booking number so Celebrity would answer my question. If the answer was the price could change, I was going to cancel immediately and book a cruise with another line. I was hoping someone here had previous experience with the Celebrity policy since changing the prices doesn't make sense. It must be a typo in their brochure.

I booked a Zenith cruise for November while I was onboard Century in January. They took my $900 and when i got home I noted that the price had increased $100 on the website. I went to my booking number and it still shows the lower price, as promised. Since that time the price has increased another $200 pp.

Unless there are different rules for Expedition, I think you are safe. This is the reason people make deposits early: to lock in the price & get the cabin of their choice. Otherwise, everyone would wait until the last minute to take their chances.

The minute you book a cruise the price is locked in, even before you make your deposit as long as the deposit is made by the final date given which is usually about 3-5 days, depending on how far in advance you book. By locked in I mean it can not go up, it can go down. I don't understand what was meant by the information in the brochure. NMnita

Once you've made your deposit that is your max price unless you cancel and then try to rebook at a later date. Rates are not set in stone. As an example, I've booked a cruise for the end of the year. When I first started looking at prices, a verandah was $2500. However, by the time I decided to make a deposit the verandahs were all gone and the price for a mid range oceanview was $2000. Now one month later that oceanview is now going for $2500 - which was the original price I would have paid for a verandah. This won't happen all the time. I've had my rates go down a few times when the ship isn't filling up. However, what usually happens is the ships do fill up and at higher rates for the people who booked and deposited later. :p

If the answer was the price could change, I was going to cancel immediately and book a cruise with another line.

If you really have your heart set on the Galapagos, this is a great review from a Dec. '05 trip: http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Xpedition1.htm I don't think any other large cruise line offers this itinerary.

The link was posted a few days ago in another thread, so maybe you've already had a chance to look at it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I did the Xpedition and you are locked in with your deposit usually. I say usually because they tried to charge me more after my Deposit was paid. I booked it onboard an RCl ship and got shipboard credit and paid the deposit. Then X told me I was misquoted and there is no such thing as a ship board credit since it's all inclusive. They said if I didn't cough up another $2,000 they would send me my depo back and cancel me. I talked with someone high up the food chain and negotiated to split the difference with them and paid another $1,000. I was told I legally could have fought this since I had a valid contract but I didn't want to ruin my vacation. This is a fabulous trip and you will enjoy it very much. I didn't let this incident ruin my vacation.

I did the Xpedition and you are locked in with your deposit usually. I say usually because they tried to charge me more after my Deposit was paid. I booked it onboard an RCl ship and got shipboard credit and paid the deposit. Then X told me I was misquoted and there is no such thing as a ship board credit since it's all inclusive. They said if I didn't cough up another $2,000 they would send me my depo back and cancel me. I talked with someone high up the food chain and negotiated to split the difference with them and paid another $1,000. I was told I legally could have fought this since I had a valid contract but I didn't want to ruin my vacation. This is a fabulous trip and you will enjoy it very much. I didn't let this incident ruin my vacation.

Archived